pixeltracker

where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?

where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?

massofmen
SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#2where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 11:36am

There was a rehearsal space near the movie theatre in 19th and Broadway(?).

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#2where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 11:48am

^That's called 890 Broadway. Shows still rehearse there, including at least one of the upcoming spring musicals.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#3where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 11:50am

Thanks! Couldn't remember the name.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#4where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 2:37pm

The New Amsterdam Theatre had a theatre on its roof where in the days of the Ziegfeld Follies shows would be put on after the regular theatre's show was over. They were called The Midnight Frolics and often featured actors that were in the Follies.

This space was used for rehearsals of upcoming Broadway shows in the 1950's and beyond. I know of one show that rehearsed there in 1959: GYPSY. In one of the Ethel Merman biographies, there is a description of Jack Klugman getting very nervous before he auditioned for the role of Herbie. Merman reportedly calmed him down by saying "You do the acting and I'll do the singing, and everything will be fine." This anecdote took place in the Roof Theatre of the New Amsterdam Theatre.

The space is still there, although it was gutted during the incredible restoration of the New Amsterdam. The construction foreman who took me there said that at that time there were no plans to restore the roof theatre. I have no idea of its
current status.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 3/10/12 at 02:37 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 4:02pm

The New Amsterdam roof theatre now houses the offices for Disney Theatrical.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

bwaylvsong
#6where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 5:14pm

I'm pretty sure I've seen broadway shows rehearsing at Ripley-Grier and Pearl Studios

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#7where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 5:23pm

Isn't there also Chelsea Studios?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

bwaylvsong
#8where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/10/12 at 5:54pm

Yes, and Nola/Shetler

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 1:23am

Magic/Bird is currently rehearsing at Pearl, 500 Broadway.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#10where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 1:27am

The last revival of JCS in 2000 rehearsed at the Westbeth Theatre Center, a venue in its own right (or so I understand). The original production of Hair rehearsed at the late great Variety Arts, another venue in its own right.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

junkyard
#11where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 3/11/12 at 8:36am

the variety arts may be 'late' but was never 'great'......what a dump........only the harlequin was worse

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 5:44pm

Sorry for resurrecting this, but where did the spring awakening revival rehearse? Also where do replacements usually rehearse?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#13where did broadway shows rehearse before new 42?
Posted: 1/11/16 at 8:11pm

The new revival rehearsed at the Davenport Theatre

Videos