pixeltracker

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews- Page 5

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#100Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 3:58pm

...bland and unsuccessful commercial fare (Newsies, the movie)...

The fact that the film was unsuccessful, yet later found success is what gave it cult status. Whether or not you find the film bland commercial fare is completely irrelevant.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#101Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 4:05pm

OK, Matt, OK, it's all over, you can calm down.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#102Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 4:12pm

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Mister Matt
#103Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 4:20pm

I'd probably contest "Willy Wonka" as a cult movie, though, as it's got a pretty mainstream adoration, almost universally so.

I was actually thinking the same thing. But perhaps it's because it had already achieved more popular status by the time I first saw it on television. I always considered it a classic family film because it had already been treated as such in its annual TV broadcasts.

OK, Matt, OK, it's all over, you can calm down.

Actually, I am calm. I started writing my response, but got interrupted before I posted it while the conversation was continuing. It was just a timing thing.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#104Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 5:05pm

For anyone who was there this weekend, who was Jack Scott on for? The weekend of the first preview week seems awfully quick to call out, even if it is a dance heavy show. It could also be dance captains swinging out, I guess, though one of them is a swing.

littlebutterfly10
#105Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 5:46pm

Also regarding this past weekend, a friend told me that single tickets were sold for lotto price after the Sunday matinee lottery. I'm curious to know if that's been done for each performance or only for select shows.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#106Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 6:00pm

What about the Manson "cult:?
I think the term is too easily thrown about these days.
I don't consider the NEWSIES lovers a cult, I call them young gay boys who like to dance with other boys.

The show is selling, give it props.
I belong to the cult of RACHEL LILY ROSENBLUM AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!.

Mister Matt
#107Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/20/12 at 6:16pm

The evolution of language and pop culture creates multiple meanings of most words and concepts. Pretty much all dictionaries list both meanings of cults as they pertain to religion and pop culture. The word originated from religious worship and expanded to represent adoration of any subject. But with regards to non-religious pop culture, it's usually only used as an adjective whereas with religion, it's generally used as a noun.

Actually, I remember Newsies getting its popularity with young girls first from the VHS release and Disney Channel airings. But as a gay man, I enjoyed it when I saw the theatrical release, so there's that, too.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#108Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 12:16am

Caught the show tonight on Press Night. What a disappointment. More thoughts to come later.

I wonder why people think this will win Best Musical? For what exactly?

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#109Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 12:34am

In a world where Memphis can win Best Musical, anything's possible.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#110Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 9:00pm

Could someone who has a Playbill from Newies handy answer a question?

What is the name (as listed in Playbill) of the conductor of the orchestra for the show? I've looked at their website and the Playbill website and I can't find that info. Thanks.

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#111Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 9:03pm

Mark Hummel

ETA: http://www.playbillvault.com/Show/Detail/Cast/13858/Newsies#credits Updated On: 3/27/12 at 09:03 PM

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#112Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 9:44pm

Thanks! I looked all over the Playbill page and I just couldn't find that!

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

musicalperson17
#113Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 9:53pm

viewing from ticketmaster, it's pretty close to sold out at every performance in adanvces alone...

broadwaymarty
#114Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 11:33pm

From the crowd I saw at the stage door WICKED type teenage girls also.I loved it and I'm an older married man.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#115Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/27/12 at 11:38pm

Is this going to be one of those shows people fall in love with so the media turns against it just cause?

Jonwo
#116Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/28/12 at 12:20am

I reckon it's going to get mixed reviews, I can't see them panning it like they did with Tarzan and Mermaid.

chrisampm2
#117Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/28/12 at 2:29am

ucjrdude902, there are plenty of people here, not in the media, who've expressed disappointment and have explained why they think they've got just cause.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#118Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 9:18am

NEWSIES: Dance 10: Looks 3

Music: A few good songs
Book: Snoopy snore
Set: Towering
Costumes: Drab
Direction: Ho Hum
Choreography: Athletic
Cast: Energetic

The dancing whether you like it or not is the driving force behind NEWSIES !

It was only a matter of time before the dance styles of competition TV shows hit Broadway. First BURN THE FLOOR with Mary Murphy now with NEWSIES. Who needs a DANCIN’ revival when you can have the Disney brand, a familiar, yet trite story, some catchy tunes, and lots of talented boys dancing? It doesn’t hurt to have a handsome and dashing leading man to legitimize it all. Young girls will swoon.

Sure, the dancing is precision perfect-most of those boys have been winners of dance competitions (both on national television and off) throughout their youth and choreographer Christopher Gattelli has capitalized on it. They’re a super talented bunch that can do amazing dance and acrobatic feats.

The problem theatrically is that most of the dancing looks too darn technical in a classroom, sanitized way. There’s no nuance. Perfect ballet jumps and turns, that while thrilling, have nothing to do with the young boys in this story. Having the boys take turns “going across the floor” (as is known in ballet and jazz class) stands out almost embarrassingly so. Some of the numbers actually stick out as a "dance routine" performed fully presentational. Another poster tried to compare it with the boys dancing in West Side Story. BAD comparison. There was no one like Robbins who could take take Classical ballet movement and give it both humor and humanity. Michael Kidd also gave movement character-just look at the Barn raising sequence in Seven Brides, or the crapshooter ballet in Guys and Dolls. Lots of technique, yet you never quite see the step as it’s been characterized and given a purpose.

It’s hard to put the entire blame choreographer on Gattelli as this is what America is used to seeing. The one thing he could have done better was given the show a little more variety as he uses the same steps over and over throughout the show and they become less effective and certainly don’t serve the plot. But he’s giving audiences what they want: Energetic, athletic and synchronized movement that will bring audiences to their feet and Disney likes that. A lot.

Let’s face it, most audiences don’t know how to deconstruct Broadway dance for its essence and quality-they want big and showy these days. I’ll even add critics to that pool, as they don’t know enough about the art form either.

I imagine reviews will be mixed on this one, but they’ll get alot of mileage out of it.

I’m certain that producer Nigel Lythgoe will eventually have his hand in there somewhere, and you can count on the “boys” dancing on SYTYCD in the near future. Great cross promotion: Former dancers now on Broadway, blah blah blah.....

TheatreKid3
#119Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 3:44pm

Actually, three of the cast members have already been on SYTYCD.

Also, in regard to the amazing work done by Gatelli, the choreography done by Kenny Ortega for the movie didn't exactly serve the plot or have this huge, symbolic, over-arching purpose either, and it doesn't have to. It just works. It was all for the spectacle, which is traditional Disney. The choreography, from what I have seen of the stage version by Gatelli, is done in a similar vein to that done by Ortega for the film, but he more than tops it in every single way. Dancing was the cornerstone and (one of) the best parts of the Newsies film, so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that it is the star of the musical as well. It's what everyone was expecting (in addition to extensive additions, extensions and revisions of Menken's beautiful score and Jack Feldman's lyrics), and it more than delivers in those aspects. In my opinion, Disney has got its hands on a show that will be its biggest hit since The Lion King.

Updated On: 3/28/12 at 03:44 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#120Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 3:56pm

The more I think about this show, the more I realize how "meh" it was. It's really nothing special, IMO.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#121Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 4:03pm

"In my opinion, Disney has got its hands on a show that will be its biggest hit since The Lion King. "

Oh my ! I guess we're all entitled to our opinion.

notabb
#122Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 5:44pm

Can anyone tell me the running time of NEWSIES?

TheatreKid3
#123Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 5:55pm

According to Broadway.com, it is 2hrs and 20 minutes with one intermission.

notabb
#124Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 5:57pm

Thanks

Latest Posts

Videos