pixeltracker

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 12:00am

Following a lengthy renovation that included being lifted 30 feet above ground level, one of Broadway’s most preeminent venues — the Palace Theatre — reopens for its first tenant in nearly six years: a brief series of concerts by Tony winner Ben Platt. The residency, kicking off tomorrow night (May 28), coincides with the release of Platt’s third studio album Honeymind, due on May 31. Ben Platt: Live at the Palace runs through June 15; Michael Arden directs. 

“Join Tony, Grammy, and Emmy Award winner Ben Platt for an exclusive 3-week concert residency at the historic Palace Theatre! From May 28 to June 15, Ben, along with a star-studded set of special guests, will debut his upcoming album Honeymind and perform a number of Broadway favorites from past and present. Directed by Tony Award winner Michael Arden, Ben Platt: Live at the Palace is set to be an unforgettable celebration as the curtain rises at the legendary Palace Theatre once more. From Judy Garland and Harry Belafonte to Liza Minnelli and Elvis Presley, Broadway’s past and present will come together as Platt graces the stage, adding a new unforgettable chapter to the Palace’s storied legacy.”

Who’s going?

Oh look, a bibu!

Will3700 Profile Photo
Will3700
#2BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 11:13am

We have tickets for Sunday matinee. 
we arrive tomorrow from East Texas for our nine show May/June trip. I love Ben Platt and I’ve seen him in DEH and Parade plus his two previous tours. I’m wondering who his “ guest’s” will be for each performance. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 11:17am

Well from the look of ticket sales , no one is going! 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 11:26am

rosscoe(au) said: "Well from the look of ticket sales , no one is going!"

rush/lotto?  it should be at TKTS for every performance.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#5BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 11:29pm

I didn’t realize Michael Arden is directing! So cool! I plan to get tickets in June. Now I’m more excited. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#6BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/27/24 at 11:42pm

rosscoe(au) said: "Well from the look of ticket sales , no one is going!"

And we’re off! For someone who doesn’t appreciate his talent, you certainly spend a lot of time monitoring his ticket sales and posting in threads about him. Hmm…

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#7BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 2:27am

Luscious said: "rosscoe(au) said: "Well from the look of ticket sales , no one is going!"

And we’re off! For someone who doesn’t appreciate his talent, youcertainly spend a lotof time monitoring his ticket sales and posting in threads about him. Hmm…

"

If you know him so well, hopefully not in a creepy stalker chic, you may as well give us his set list, which might actually motivate some of us to go and get a ticket.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#8BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 2:30am

EDSOSLO858 said: "From Judy Garland and Harry Belafonte to Liza Minnelli and Elvis Presley, Broadway’s past and present will come together as Platt graces the stage, adding a new unforgettable chapter to the Palace’s storied legacy.”

What does this mean? Will he perform numbers by these legends, or does it simply state the fact that these legends have performed at Palace?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#9BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 9:14am

Digital lottery entries open from 9 AM to 4 PM the day before a performance; tix are $35 and up to four tickets can be purchased per winner.

In-person rush seats are $30; 12 PM until 30 mins before curtain the day of a performance (two per person). 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/28/24 at 09:14 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 9:42am

Four tickets? Guessing this isn’t selling at all. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#11BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 2:52pm

I'm going to his second to last show the night before the Tonys and I'm really looking forward to it. I've liked the songs he's released as singles from the upcoming album and I'm sure he'll do a mix of older songs as well as hopefully some Broadway/standards. I'm also interested to see who he gets as special guests along the way. I do wish I had waited to get a ticket now looking at how I'm sitting in the mid mezzanine for almost the same price as a mid to rear orchestra, but I'm happy to see the Palace back in business and see a performer I really love all in one night. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

QueenTwinnied
#12BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 3:39pm

I feel bad for any schmuck who paid full price for this show omfg. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 3:59pm

Ben’s view from the stage: 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 4:03pm

$75 at TKTS for anyone interested.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Strange Lupone
#15BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 4:14pm

ACL2006 said: "$75 at TKTS for anyone interested."

That’s still too high. By half.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#16BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 4:30pm

I seeing this tonight because I’m super excited to see the renovated Palace. I also enjoyed Platt in Hansen and Parade. Don’t know his albums at all, but I think he has a lovely voice and was happy to grab a ticket for about $85. Kind of confused by why people seem to hate him so much. Is it just about his rich family?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#17BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 4:37pm

Sauja said: "I seeing this tonight because I’m super excited to see the renovated Palace. I also enjoyed Platt in Hansen and Parade. Don’t know his albumsat all, but I think he has a lovely voice and was happy to grab a ticket for about $85. Kind of confused by why people seem to hate him so much. Is it just about his rich family?"

Just look at the other Platt and the Palace thread.

You also mentioned that you booked a mid-mezzanine seat for what is now orchestra. I'd definitely try to see if you can swap for an orchestra seat if you see it's definitely the same price, or maybe they'll let you know upgrade for a couple of bucks.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 4:59pm

I know I'm repeating myself, but Ben has the weirdest group of both fans and haters I have seen on this forum in a long time. It's really odd and I don't get it. It's like there is a psychopathic group of people that follow him around to trash and complain about literally every move he makes, but then there is also another psychopathic group of people following him around and watch every breath he takes. Why does anyone care THIS much? And I know I'm a hypocrite given my obsession with Bernadette but COME ON am I not THIS weird right? 

I'll be so interested to know if we get the grosses for Ben's show next week. It's a bit of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' situation. If we see the grosses, people will be dancing around the streets quoting how poor the numbers are. If we don't see the grosses, people will be dancing around the streets noticing they have something to hide.

It's rare to see people on this forum take such glee in watching a performer fail. I personally would just rather turn my head the other way, and try and forget about it. I find it awkward to see and it's not something I take glee in.

I listen to the cast recording of Dear Evan and Parade regularly - I genuinely think Ben gave two of my favourite stage performances in these roles. I don't really care for any of his other work, his offstage personality, or music. But I think he will probably strike lighting for a 3rd time when Michael Arden hopefully directs Ben and Micaela Diamond again one day in the next Broadway revival of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE :P.

I would also say that even though it seems strange for him to have the Palace for so long in this context, remember he just did Parade to an audience of over 150,000 people. One that, rightly or wrongly, people assumed Ben's name was very important to sell (and it wasn't even looking good until performances started with many haters also predicting failure at the time). I think it's reasonable that someone, somewhere thought it was a reasonable business idea to have Ben Platt do a concert to an audience in a Broadway-sized theatre in New York City because that's where he has been most successful. 

Looking at some of the further tour dates ahead, I'm almost more worried about the rest of the tour than what's happening at The Palace. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#19BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 5:12pm

Binau, perfectly said.  

There are those who just love complain, about anything and everything.  Nellie Forbush in "South Pacific" has such a wonderful line in the opening when she says, "I could never imagine working myself up to be so low."   

Updated On: 5/28/24 at 05:12 PM

Strange Lupone
#20BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 5:29pm

Two hours before showtime. StubHub has balcony seats for $24! Balcony Center Rows C, D, and E.

Orchestra Rows F-Q for $75

BrodyFosse123
#21BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 5:40pm

Also, comparing Ben Platt the actor to Ben Platt the solo artist is ludicrous.

In a musical play you have a storyline, sets, characters, and a score that suits the story.

In a solo concert style show you’re getting the artist and their personality, their personal dialogue as well as material usually written by them or material that expresses THEIR narrative. 

Ben’s 2 Broadway hits sold well because you were getting a 5 course meal not a McDonald’s Happy Meal. Most prefer to see him act and sing in a landmark musical than sing his favorite songs with an onstage band. He would have done well at The Carlyle or Below 54. 

Strange Lupone
#22BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 5:42pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Also, comparing Ben Platt the actor to Ben Platt the solo artist is ludicrous.

In a musical play you have a storyline, sets, characters, and a score that suits the story.

In a solo concert style show you’re getting the artist and their personality, their personal dialogue as well as material usually written by them or material that expresses THEIR narrative.

Ben’s 2 Broadway hits sold well because you were getting a 5 course meal not a McDonald’s Happy Meal. Most prefer to see him act and sing in a landmark musical than sing his favorite songs with an onstage band. He would have done well at The Carlyle or Below 54.
"

I’d prefer not to sully The Carlyle, but considering Rumer Willis is about to open  there……

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#23BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 7:19pm

Luscious said: "rosscoe(au) said: "Well from the look of ticket sales , no one is going!"

And we’re off! For someone who doesn’t appreciate his talent, youcertainly spend a lotof time monitoring his ticket sales and posting in threads about him. Hmm…

"

Luscious Madonna when are you going?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BrodyFosse123
#24BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 7:19pm

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 5/28/24 at 7:26pm

I think the key art is nice. 

Videos