pixeltracker

A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#2A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/20/12 at 11:44pm

Today's date: 4/20!

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#2A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/20/12 at 11:46pm

hahaha that was great.

It's almost as funny as the meth PSA from the 90's.
but I got the cleanest house on the street

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#3A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/20/12 at 11:49pm

Whaaaaaaaaaat??? Was the old guy supposed to be God?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#4A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/21/12 at 12:11am

He is called Mentor.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#5A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/21/12 at 1:04am

I remember that one from my childhood (as well as the All Star Cartoons To The Rescue 30 minute episode--I think that's what it was called where a bunch of various Sat Morning cartoon characters go to rescue a poor druggie kid--it didn't really make me think drugs are bad, but it did give me nightmares).
Here's a 3 minute overview, though I believe the whole thing is online (I think I would know I was already on drugs if the Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, etc, all came to take me on a tour of the dangers of drugs...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBpk0L42jgE&feature=fvwrel

Still for psychedlic drug PSAs, *nothing* beats this Hanna Barbara animated 30 minute short from 1970. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJTC_sX5cxs

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#6A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/21/12 at 2:16am

That is downright scary!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#7A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/21/12 at 2:36am

The kids face at 1:55 is priceless. It sums up exactly how I felt watching that utterly bizarre clip.

When the "find me"s began it turned into something like a cult recruitment tool.

And what was he pointing to at the last second? His heart? His junk?

Btw, I love Everything Is Terrible. Hilarious stuff on that site.

....but the world goes 'round

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#8A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 4/21/12 at 2:27pm

Well, at least the meth version is somewhat accurate.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#9A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 12:31pm

Bump because it's still a classic.

#10A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 12:50pm

And it would make a DAMN FINE BROADWAY MUSICAL!

Lilla Crawford as The White Girl, Willow Smith as The Black Girl and Patti LuPone as Mentor.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#11A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 12:57pm

Set in a circus no doubt.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 1:05pm

F*CK, that's terrifying. If I was tripping, that would make me jump out of a window to escape it.

FindingNamo
#13A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 1:39pm

Baby Kermit DOES speak the truth when he says "There's nothing cool about a fool on drugs." Cool people on drugs are totally cool though.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wexy
#14A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 1:43pm

My favorite was in the park with the guy pushing pills to kids.
"Get away from me kid, you bother me, How do you know you got chromosomes?"

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

FindingNamo
#15A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 1:45pm

I love that one and found it recently on YouTube.

"Dig everybody: L -- S -- D."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wexy
#16A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 2:25pm

thanks Namo, I will look for that one...

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Liza's Headband
#17A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 2:49pm

My Nephew recently watched a video in health class from the 80s. It was about a younger kid who finds his brother's drugs and tries them out. He promptly has a nervous breakdown and jumps out his bedroom window to his death because of the "bugs" crawling all over him. The kids were apparently having a hoot watching it. So, maybe it's time that schools consider updating their lessons to more current and relatable media. Just a thought.

Also, this is not drug related but the PSA educational video talk has me thinking about a Razzie-worthy classic they show in health classes regarding rape: She Cried No. I can still remember watching the original '96 broadcast of it. My god, it's so horrendous. Features D.J. from Full House and Zack from Saved By The Bell. The most memorable line, for me, was Zack exclaiming "she cried no...but her eyes screamed yes!"

andi1235
#18A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 8:26pm

Best thing about Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue is the song by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken. :) Well, to be fair, more the FACT that the big musical number was Ashman/Menken.

I watched this more than once as a kid. It was on video at our library, and since it was "educational" it was a free rental. I checked it out a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6vY4gpsiSE

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#19A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/9/13 at 11:29pm

Thanks for posting that andi1235. I never realized they wrote that.

I couldn't understand the lyrics but what a great little curio.

AEA AGMA SM
#20A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/10/13 at 12:01am

Headband, you can't bring that one up and forget about Brian Austin Green and Tiffani-Amber Thiessen

Kind of scary how this one actually became fairly prophetic, most recently with the Steubenville cases.

carolineorchange21 Profile Photo
carolineorchange21
#21A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/10/13 at 12:10am

My parents went on benders taping from television in the late 80s. As a result I had this anti-drug special on a tape followed by Mary Poppins, half of The Brave Little Toaster, and Driving Miss Daisy. At 6, this tape was my crack. I had bits of Miss Daisy memorized and would make the other kids at school play chauffeur with me!

I don't think I even really knew that it was an anti-drug special. I thought the little girl was f*cking annoying for going into her brother's room and spilling his sh*t! A block on the name Corey for the rest of my life.

"...ah, gays and their wit. Hell must be a laugh a minute!" -Evie Harris

Icehouse Life
#22A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/11/13 at 5:17pm

Can't believe Richard Kiley did this. As soon as I heard his familiar voice, I found this to be very strangely bad.

Very scary to think The Mentor is inside you in the netherregions.

The "Call Me" portion does remind me of those late night sexy phone number commercials.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#23A Psychedelic Anti-Marijuana PSA for Kids (1988)
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:02pm

Well, golly-- thanks Nancy Reagan for spending more time on this crap than a catastrophic plague called AIDS.

Updated On: 7/12/13 at 12:02 PM