pixeltracker

What straight play should I see?

What straight play should I see?

zak2
#1What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 10:53pm

I'm going to to NYC from June 1st to the 8th for a graduation present. I'm already seeing Newsies, Once, and Death of Salesman, but I want to see one more straight play. I've heard a lot of great stuff about Other Desert Cities, Venus in Fur, One Man,Two Guvnors, and Peter and the Starcatchers, but I'm not sure which one I'd like to see most. I'm also totally open to any other suggestions you guys may have. Thanks in advance.

michellek45
#2What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:01pm

One Man, Two Guvnors and Peter are both excellent. Peter is much more of a whimsical, magical experience, and One Man, Two Guvnors is flat-out hilarious. You'll leave Peter feeling like a little kid again, and you'll leave One Man, Two Guvnors with the corners of your mouth hurting from laughing so much. I haven't seen the other two plays you mentioned, but I would recommend both of these.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#2What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:03pm

Are you looking for star power? See The Best Man. (get a picture with Eric M) and show folks at home

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

tking001
#3What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:04pm

Venus in Fur is AMAZING

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#4What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:08pm

It all depends what you enjoy. I had a thoroughly good time at all four of the plays you mentioned but they're all very different. Venus in Fur is probably my least favorite of the ones you've mentioned but Nina Arianda and Hugh Dancy (who was sadly overlooked at the Tonys) are sublime. One Man, Two Guvnors is uproariously funny and I'm generally not a fan of farce. Other Desert Cities is brilliantly written, directed, and acted. Peter and the Starcatcher is brilliantly staged and at times whimsical, at times hilarious, and at times, profound. Christian Borle is also delivering an incredible performance.

If I could only choose one I guess I'd pick Peter having no idea what you're looking for but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

willep
#5What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:08pm

Considering the fact that The Best Man isn't on his list, and the other shows he was interested in weren't shows with big stars, I would have to assume that the OP is not, in fact, interested in star power and getting a picture with Eric M, but in seeing a good show...

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#6What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:56pm

I saw ODC & Peter and loved them both. Peter is magical a truly creative lark. Other Desert Cities features some wonderful performances w some hard family truths being excavated. What are u leaning to family friendly whimsy from great creative minds or well constructed family dr-amedy?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 11:58pm

I didn't think ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS was as funny as everyone else seems to think it is. I certainly laughed more during THE BOOK OF MORMON, XANADU, SPAMALOT, THE PRODUCERS, and THE LIEUTENANT OF INISHMORE (yes, I know I'm comparing to mostly musicals). I laughed a lot, yes, but I don't see what's so special about ONE MAN, TWO GUVNORS.

I'd choose either OTHER DESERT CITIES or PETER AND THE STARCATCHER. Choose ODC if you want a drama and choose STARCATCHER if you want a comedy. I'd go for STARCATCHER, as it's more of a unique show that's special for a combustion of reasons.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#8What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 12:12am

If you count it: Peter and the Starcatcher

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

zak2
#9What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:18pm

At this point I'm leaning towards either One Man, Two Guvnors and Peter and the Starcatchers. Do you guys have any idea about rush or discount tickets for either of these? I'd love to not have to pay full price, but I don't want to get shut out.

MuiscalLoverGuy
#10What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:29pm

I agree, I didn't think One Man, Two Guvners was as nearly as funny as it is hyped. I thought the writing in Clybourne Park was spectacular and funny.

ChildrenwillListen
#11What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 1:42pm

I'd like to see more straight plays (even though I am a musical geek) I feel I need to start broadening myself more as a theatre major. A View from the Bridge helped me realize that. I'd kind of like to see Other Desert Cities. I can't wait for Arsenic and Old Lace to be done here at school in the fall.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#12What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 4:22pm

My vote is Peter and the Starcatcher, but I'd also recommend maybe checking out End of the Rainbow to see Tracie Bennett's must see performance as Judy Garland.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

bearhorn Profile Photo
bearhorn
#13What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/8/12 at 9:44am

Loved "Other Desert Cities" the best, but "Peter/Starcatcher" and "One Man" are also excellent choices. I enjoyed "The Best Man" for its star-power, but the others mentioned are better plays.

Gothampc
#14What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:01am

This sounds morbid, but I'm being honest.

The Best Man has Angela Lansbury who is a theater legend. Who knows how many more chances we'll have to see her perform? I'd see The Best Man for that reason.

And it doesn't hurt that you will also be seeing James Earl Jones, Candace Bergen, John Laroquette, Eric McCormack, Michael McKean and the really wonderful Jefferson Mays (who was royally ROBBED of a Tony nomination for a great performance.) And if that's not enough, you can see the former Mrs. Rudy Guiliani (Donna Hanover) in a small part.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#15What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:02am

Zac, you can see there are many worthwhile plays in town right now and different people champion different ones. I loved VENUS IN FUR. Nina Arianda is giving one of the greatest performances I have ever seen on stage and the play is ingeniously constructed, hilariously funny, and compellingly combines blistering comedy and thought-provoking sexual politics in a rare way. In contrast, I'd say OTHER DESERT CITIES is a very good play, and one which also effectively mixes wit and hard-hitting (and in its case social and familial) politics, but is not as splendidly realized. Others disagree.

Updated On: 5/8/12 at 10:02 AM

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#16What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/8/12 at 10:07am

One Man, Two Guvnors or Venus in Fur.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#17What straight play should I see?
Posted: 5/10/12 at 3:13am

Well it is a matter of taste and you won't know til you go

I loved Other Deserts Cities
Dying to see One Man Two Governors.
Also quite enjoyed the Lyons.

both Venus in Fur and Peter and the starcatcher bored me to tears. And I love musicals.
so there that is my two cents..