pixeltracker

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended- Page 2

Surprised Newsies hasn't extended

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#25Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:40pm

Agreed The Neaderlander is the perfect fit for Newsies it almost Always sells out, but its last minute, and being at a larger house would kill that momentum of itbeing sold as a "sold out" show
My only issue with the neaderlander is that it is very cramp with only one bathroom

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:40pm

^^yes, a national tour is also expected. likely starting in the Summer/Fall 2013.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jonwo
#27Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:48pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it recoups by August or the fall if the reported $5m is true.

I do wonder if Disney has plans to take it beyond North America given the film is not well known unlike in the US and it's not a spectacle show like Beauty, Lion King etc I wouldn't be surprised if it transfer to London's West End in 2014/2015.

TheatreKid3
#28Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/15/12 at 11:58pm

While I wouldn't be completely surprised to see the show transfer overseas (especially if it wins Best Musical), I think Disney's marketing campaign for the show thus far has been geared toward promoting the show's 'Americanism" or appeal to the current state of U.S., specifically in terms of economics. I feel like Disney is trying to brand NEWSIES as the Disney American Musical. So, with that in mind, they might just focus the property within the United States, especially where they can take advantage of the financial parallels. Although, Disney rarely (never) passes up the opportunity to make money so, if they felt it would make it, NEWSIES will probably transfer overseas.

Also, this just struck me. If the show does become a long-term tenant of the Nederlander, I think it would be likely that Disney will try to get a new, bigger marquee installed outside the theatre to further promote the show. It seems like the one currently in use isn't very big nor does it stand out like many others (though I feel the Gershwin has the worst marquee on Broadway - especially for the tenant it has). While I like it, it seems like a likely idea.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 11:58 PM

Jonwo
#29Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 12:23am

The current Nederlander signage is only four years old, I think Disney could use the empty windows as signage like what Guys and Dolls and Brighton Beach Beach Memoirs did.

I think the show could work overseas but marketing it is the the key as they can't rely on the Newsies' name to sell it, they need to sell the story and the show's strengths which is the cast and the choreography.

Back Row
#30Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 12:33am

They may have to do some stunt casting in order to get a foothold in the UK, and after that, they could rely on positive reviews and word of mouth. Jack Kelly is a terrific role for a hot young actor to show his stuff, but it's also a very difficult role to cast. I don't know if there is an obvious Jeremy Jordan equivalent in the UK, but that is what it will take for the show to succeed. And I don't think the show is too "American" for the UK. Just look how popular Legally Blonde was over there.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 12:49am

What will they announce if ONCE wins Best Musical?

In my crystal ball I see 2 "probable" TONYS for NEWSIES.
And a 50/50 chance for the Big One.

TheatreKid3
#32Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 12:55am

I wasn't meaning that the show was "too American," I just meant that Disney was focusing its marketing of the show on, and for it to appeal to, American audiences at the moment (vastly pushing an American nationalist identity for the show, which it didn't have to do for shows like Beauty, Lion King, Tarzan, Poppins and Mermaid because they are world-renowned classics). Disney is really wanting to highlight NEWSIES' parallels to the current economic hardships of the country to further increase the property's relevancy in the present, thus hopefully generating more interests and a more diverse audience as opposed to the typical Disney audience.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 12:55 AM

Jonwo
#33Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:08am

To me, the story could work anywhere because it's about young people fighting to make a difference, shows like Wicked and Les Miserables while not critically acclaimed somehow clicked with audiences with their message and I think Newsies has similar appeal even for those who haven't seen the film.

EatTheBrownie
#34Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:11am

^ That's why the movie was SO successful... oh, wait, it wasn't. It was one of the studio's biggest bombs of all time. An embarrassment.

Newsies doing well on Broadway is one of the biggest flukes ever. I'm sure Michael Eisner is sitting somewhere scratching his head shouting "really?!" over and over again.

TheatreKid3
#35Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:27am

It isn't a fluke. NEWSIES should have been a musical form the beginning. They a repeatedly described it as a musical put on film, and I consider to be, inherently, an original musical. The movie wasn't bad (completely), it was just way ahead of its time. Not only were musical films not popular at the time, but the idea of boys dancing and singing like that wasn't viewed with the amount normalcy it is today. No doubt many young boys were turned off by it, not to mention how it was probably viewed as "sissy" or "girly." I actually wrote a research paper on this year (one of the coolest assignments I've ever had).

Finally the material is getting the great recognition it deserves.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 01:27 AM

Back Row
#36Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:37am

You can call it a fluke if you'd like, but I think Disney's marketing of Newsies has been nothing short of genius, particularly with their use of social media, backstage videos, The Disney Channel, and capitalizing off the cult status of the original film. There has been some luck involved (Jeremy Jordan's availability is an example), but the biggest reason the Disney has had success with Newsies is that they are an entertainment company that knows what they are doing. I won't make any judgement on the show because I have not seen it, but I am fascinated with the marketing aspect, and how well they have executed their plan.

EatTheBrownie
#37Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:39am

Wait a second, kid, I'm not saying Newsies is bad. I'm refuting the idea that the show will be successful anywhere solely because of it's subject matter.

It wasn't in 1992.

A huge flop of a movie becoming a wildly successful musical is the exception and not the rule. Xanadu doesn't count because they made a parody of the entire thing.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#38Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:45am

I did catch that ridiculous Nightline feature on Newsies (Nightline of course being ABC which is Disney owned) which said it would be a behind the scenes feature, but instead was all about how Newsies was so timely and just like the Occupy movement, bla bla.

Newsies the movie was a massive bomb, but I had alwasy heard it did modestly better overseas... Who knows why, though in many countries old time Americana, especially when mythologized, sells (when I lived in Dublin for a year in the late 90s they were going through a ridiculous "wild west" phase it seemed, judging by various pop groups' novelty numbers, etc).

EatTheBrownie
#39Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:49am

And one has to remember that Newsies wasn't just a low key movie in 1992... it was publicized as THE return of the movie musical. The trailer showed clips of classic Disney films like Beauty and the Beast, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and painted Newsies as the next big thing. Newsies was supposed to be a big deal.

It, too, was widely marketed all over the Disney Channel. It also featured three HUGE child actors... Christian Bale was critically acclaimed for Empire Of The Sun, David Moscow was the star of Big, and Max Castella was on the hit show Dougie Howser. The film also featured the screen return of Ann-Margaret.

Despite all of that, the movie TANKED.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#40Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 9:18am

It tanked at the time, but it later gained a huge following from home video and DVD sales. Also, Disney has stated that it is one of the most requested titles to license, which is the reason for finally turning it into a stage musical. Since you could say the show was brought about due to popular demand, and only transferred to Broadway because everyone loved it at Paper Mill, I don't think anyone is that shocked or stunned at the success.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#41Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 10:00am

Newsies the movie was never a big seller on DVD, but it did gain a following.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

WOSQ
#42Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 10:12am

Best 12:
I think in the 1950s the Shuberts had to divest themselves of many theatres under an anti-trust order from the US Dept of Justice. They operated under this anti-trust order until the early 1980s. Any new theatres they acquired during this time had to have an individual okay from the DOJ. The two that I know they gained were the Shubert in LA (now defunct) and the long term lease on the National in DC.

This also explains why there were non-Shubert-owned Shubert Theatres in New Haven, Philly (now the Merriam) and DC (torn down). The Shuberts also sold or gave up the leases on the Shubert (now Lasalle I think) and Blackstone in Chicago and the Shubert in Cincinnati was torn down and the land sold.

The Shuberts in NY were limited to the 17 1/2 theatres (now 19 with buying the other half of the Music Box + the Little Shubert) they own now.

There is a biography of the Shubert brothers and their company called "The Boys From Syracuse" that will tell you all this and more.

This ruling was lifted in maybe 83 or 84 and the Shuberts were thought to have the inside track to get what is now the Marquis. For some reason they passed.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

PlayItAgain
#43Surprised Newsies hasn't extended
Posted: 5/16/12 at 5:11pm

Expect an announcement in the next 24 hours, guaranteed