Some "Cock" reviews coming in.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:53pm

Has anyone noticed that "Cock" is also a slang name for a male penis?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:57pm

Is it really?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#3Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:08pm

I had no idea!
All I know is that Ben Brantley seems to like Cock.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:14pm

I'm not surprised.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#5Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:19pm

I liked Cock when I sat in on it the other night.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#6Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:30pm

come on, guys, i feel like we're back in the fifth grade! stick with the thread about the play, okay?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:32pm

^It's a play too?

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#8Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:34pm

come on, guys, i feel like we're back in the fifth grade! stick with the thread about the play, okay?

Let's be honest here. The title of the play was supposed to be provocative and generate these kinds of comments.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#9Some
Posted: 5/17/12 at 11:34pm

Michael Riedel said that he found COCK a little hard to swallow at first, but that after a glass of wine he relaxed and ended up really enjoying it.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 5/18/12 at 11:34 PM

whatever2
#10Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 10:24am

> The title of the play was supposed to be provocative and generate these kinds of comments.

That's a total non-sequitur ... sophomoric humor is not the only possible response to provocation.

not that i haven't laughed at most of it! just sayin' ...

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#11Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 10:27am

I'm thrilled for Cory Michael Smith and the rave he got from Brantley. He is a star on the rise.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

#12Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 10:27am

I enjoyed it- I was seated with a group of fraternity brothers who attended as part of their initiation. They all said they'd never experienced it before but most of them seemed familiar with Cock backwards and forwards.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 10:45am

Come on, the play is called Cock. The playwright knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to call it that.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#14Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 10:51am

I was really hoping to bow down and woship this COCK, but it's got some major verisimilitude issues in the characters of M and F. The actors do outstanding work and sell it, with the exception of Cotter Smith, who, at the performance I attended, literally looked like he had wandered in off the street and was told he was going to go be in a play.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

whatever2
#15Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:33am

Kad: i don't disagree ... i'm just saying that teenage double-entendres are not the only possible response to a provocative title.

(he's british, after all; maybe he was expecting SOPHISTICATED double-entendres!!!)

not judging anybody's humor -- it's all made me laugh ... i'm just saying the conclusion isn't supported by the premise.

#16Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:34am

I've heard some complain it's too long- anyone want to weigh in?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#17Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:35am

Like the British aren't above dick jokes.

whatever2
#18Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:41am

Still not the point.

themysteriousgrowl
#19Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:44am

Guys, guys, come on. Don't let this COCK tear you apart.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

whatever2
#20Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:48am

maybe i'm just cranky because i haven't seen COCK in years -- probably since it was mounted in London.

:)

themysteriousgrowl
#21Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:49am

That's the spirit! Some

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#22Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:51am

It's all the rage these days.

#23Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 12:09pm

I believe the British version was uncut- that's the custom there.

After Eight
#24Some
Posted: 5/18/12 at 11:26pm

"I've heard some complain it's too long- anyone want to weigh in?"

Yes, it is. Like 100 minutes too long.

The seats are very uncomfortable as well. Just long benches with small pads to sit on. No backs, no arm rests.

Videos