pixeltracker

What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?- Page 4

What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#75What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:32pm

Norbert Leo Butz for Catch Me If You Can
I saw him in the show the night before the Tonys, and I was so thrilled that he won.

Cynthia Erivo for The Color Purple
Anyone who got to experience that performance in person knew it was well-deserved.

Jane Greenwood for The Little Foxes
Having been in the audience at Radio City Music Hall for this year's ceremony, it was so incredible to witness this veteran costume designer finally receive a competitive Tony on her 21st nomination.

James Monroe Iglehart for Aladdin
Ever since I first heard audio clips of him from the Seattle tryout, I knew he'd have a great shot at that Tony.

Audra McDonald for Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill
Just watching her make history twice with one win was so incredible to behold.

Alan Menken for Newsies
It was great to see this veteran composer of all mediums finally have a Tony Award on his mantle, especially given that theatre is where he began.

Jessie Mueller for Beautiful
Not only was she so phenomenal as Carole King, but her journey to this star-making performance also made it so well-deserved in my opinion.

Kelli O'Hara for The King & I
In what was the last close race for Lead Actress in a Musical (to date), I was thrilled that she finally won after 5 losses.

Ben Platt for Dear Evan Hansen
Not only was the award well-deserved based on the strength of his performance, but he also gave such a heartfelt speech.

Updated On: 7/14/17 at 02:32 PM

#76What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:43pm

Christian Hoff for JERSEY BOYS

Close second:  Dee Dee Bridgewater for THE WIZ

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#77What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 2:43pm

Ben Platt for Dear Evan Hansen

and I know this will be unpopular but...

Benj Pasek and Justin Paul for DEH as well!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#78What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 3:41pm

Kelli.  And I loved her acceptance speech.  Cherry on the top!

LMM.  And his love sonnet acceptance speech.

(...To mention just two recent wins.  SO, so many have made me happy over the many, many years)

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 7/14/17 at 03:41 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#79What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 3:44pm

Bette's win also made me deliriously happy.  And I LOVED HER SPEECH! 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

SkidRowUrchins Profile Photo
SkidRowUrchins
#80What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 5:02pm

Fun Home, Kelli O'Hara, Gavin Creel, In the Heights for Score and Musical, Megan Hilty, and Cynthia Erivo. 

froote
#81What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 5:06pm

Fun Home.

Most of the Hamilton ones too but they were obvious whereas I was concerned An American in Paris might snatch it from Fun Home.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#82What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 5:37pm

SkidRowUrchins said: "Fun Home, Kelli O'Hara, Gavin Creel, In the Heights for Score and Musical, Megan Hilty, and Cynthia Erivo."

Megan Hilty hasn't won a Tony...yet.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#83What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 8:07pm

So happy for all the wins for Sweeney Todd.  That show completely blew me away.  Michael Jeter /his performance and his acceptance speech are unforgettable. I still remember the camera planning to Tommy tune &  his reaction.

This year I was very pleased with all of the Dear Evan Hansen and Hello, Dollys!  wins. I loved both shows.  Most excited for Rachel Bay Jones for her win.  She debuted on Bwy in 1989.   I adored The fresh take on the role of Catherine in Pippin.  Her performance as Heide Hansen was so riveting.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#84What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/14/17 at 9:28pm

Anika Noni Rose for Caroline or Change

Just give the world Love.

SkidRowUrchins Profile Photo
SkidRowUrchins
#85What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/15/17 at 1:15am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "SkidRowUrchins said: "Fun Home, Kelli O'Hara, Gavin Creel, In the Heights for Score and Musical, Megan Hilty, and Cynthia Erivo."

Megan Hilty hasn't won a Tony...yet.

"

Lol whoops... My brain must have just mixed up her fictional Tony win on Smash with real life. That being said, Ivy's win for Bombshell did make me pretty happy. 

Jarethan
#86What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/15/17 at 7:38pm

Tennis Fan said: "Christian Hoff for JERSEY BOYS

Close second:  Dee Dee Bridgewater for THE WIZ

Curious as to why Dee Dee B.  She was excellent, but it was such a tiny role.  

polkadotmissile
#87What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/24/17 at 8:10pm

Gavin Creel winning for Hello, Dolly! would've probably gotten me on its own, but the fact that Sutton gave it to him? Destroyed me. The man is so clearly doing what he is meant to, with such amazing amounts of heart, drive and humbleness. Beyond disappointed in people being so nasty to him, saying he robbed Mike/Andrew/Brandon of their Tony's. Gavin is so deserving. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#88What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/24/17 at 8:19pm

polkadotmissile said: "Beyond disappointed in people being so nasty to him, saying he robbed Mike/Andrew/Brandon of their Tony's. Gavin is so deserving. "

I think pretty much everyone in the Featured Actor category this year was deserving, so I was gonna be happy no matter who won (though personally I was rooting for Lucas or Brandon). Sutton giving it to him was perfect, though. 

My faves, recently, were probably Bradley King, Jane Greenwood, and Alex Sharp.  

Updated On: 7/24/17 at 08:19 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#89What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/24/17 at 10:41pm

Definitely Gavin Creel. He is such a kind and giving person, and he has been waiting 15 (!) years for his Tony! Honestly it's about time. It genuinely gets me mad whenever any one of those hardcore Falsettos/Andrew Rannells fans says he didn't deserve it, like they were downright nasty just the other day when they edited Andrew's Wikipedia page. Let the man live please, he is just as hardworking as any of the other actors. 

coreman009
#90What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/25/17 at 11:56am

IN THE HEIGHTS (Score and Musical), it was brilliant and needed it so badly.

CHRISTIAN BORLE (Something Rotten), gave one of the most hilarious performances I've ever seen.

LESLIE ODOM JR (Hamilton), all the awards I was thrilled about, but this one was up in the air, and he deserved it for a largely understated performance. 

BEN PLATT (Dear Evan Hansen), literally don't think I've ever seen a better performance.

THE PLAY THAT GOES WRONG (Set), because even though the award doesn't matter much, 1) its still a Tony and 2) I've never seen a better set.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#91What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/25/17 at 2:47pm

Random thought: this year's nominees were really a Book of Mormon reunion.

Ben Platt - a former Elder Cunningham

Andrew Rannells and Gavin Creel - former Elder Prices

Scott Rudin - BoM producer

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#92What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/26/17 at 5:36pm

I never saw his performance, but Michael Jeter's acceptance speech for Grand Hotel makes me cry every time.

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#93What Tony Award Wins Made You the Happiest?
Posted: 7/26/17 at 6:23pm

Joanna Gleason for INTO THE WOODS

Best Book/Best Score for RAGTIME

Raul Esparza for COM....oh wait.....crying