Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards- Page 5

Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#101Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 2:15am

The girl playing Tracy is no where near 40.

She was Shelly in the Hollywood Bowl production last summer.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 6/11/12 at 02:15 AM

broadwayguy2
#102Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 2:23am

Amy Hillner - who played Tracy - is young... and she reads young in person... the camera work and lighting wasn't the most flattering and an ill fitting costume did not help, but she was a great Shelley, matching and passing the level of Leslie Kritzer, Shoshana Bean and Donna Vivino and she is a FANTASTIC Tracy.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#103Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 2:41am

I wasn't exactly impressed, but I felt like they at least had more energy than some of the other performances...

broadwayguy2
#104Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 3:33am

I will not lie.. not a fan of the direction, choreography or design of the production and this performance demonstrated exactly why, but they have had consistently strong performers as Tracy and Edna and have had some quality people around them, as I pointed out previously, including numerous principals / featured actors who are vets of Hairspray on Broadway, on tour and in Las Vegas. in this short snippet alone you saw Amy Hillner (vet of the 1st national and Hollywood Bowl) as Tracy, Jim J Bullock (Broadway, 1st national and numerous regional stagings) as Edna and Jeff Stanfield (vet of the Networks tour as IQ, us. Link) as Link..

defyinggravity2 Profile Photo
defyinggravity2
#105Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 8:40am

In other news,the sky is blue.

broadwayjim42
#106Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 8:52am

If she is young, then the makeup and lighting people should be taken out behind the barn. Damn, she looked ancient.

Although I actually think the fact that she's not exactly zaftig bothered me more.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#107Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 11:38am

Agreed, the first thing that I noticed was that she looked fairly normal sized. It appeared to the friend I was watching with that they had simply stuffed her with a pillow.

We didn't notice anything about her looking old, though.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#108Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 11:42am

Wasn't a huge fan of Tracy, she didn't look heavy at all. But the show looks really great and my favorite part of the Tonys.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#109Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 11:54am

I was kind of impressed by the production value of the performance. Cruise performances are improving!

Complaints: Those were the thinnest Turnbald's I have EVER seen. And how are we supposed to believe that Tracy is in high school. For real?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#110Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 12:02pm

I thought they did fine

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

TheatreDiva90016
#111Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 12:20pm

Again, quit your whining people.

It's a cruise ship production, and she sang it better than most Tracy's I've seen.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 6/11/12 at 12:20 PM

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#112Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 12:32pm

Maybe she was seasick. Some of the Tonys made me nauseous.

THAT was Jim J. Bullock?! Talk about being too close for comfort...

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

broadwayguy2
#113Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 1:33pm

Jim J. Bullock as Edna, yes. I can tell you with absolute certainty that Jim J. has the utmost respect for Edna and takes great pride and care in how he plays her. He also has turned in absolutely bang up work in all roles he has played in the show.

Amy's voice is really effortless and she has a fantastic pop sound that reminds me of the original Hairspray demos. Yes, she is thin. She has always always played Shelley previously and been the second cover for Tracy.

broadwayjim, yes. The design does her no favors.. but Amy is in her 20s and she actually does look young.. Now feel free to chase the designers with pitchforks.

Erica007
#114Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 5:56pm

I thought Amy Hillner looked old for the part and also too skinny. Regardless, of lighting and makeup, from the videos I have seen she does not pass well as a high schooler. I did find an interesting YouTube Audition video that she posted that I just had too share.
Amy Hillner - YouTube Audition Video

TheatreDiva90016
#115Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 5:59pm

Again, you are judging someones looks by what they look like on a crappy video.

I have worked with her and she doesn't look a day over 25 at the most.

Stop making me want to shove a fork in your eye.

Updated On: 6/11/12 at 05:59 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#116Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:03pm

She's a baby

Erica007
#117Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:14pm

I didn't post the video to judge her looks, just thought it was an interesting audition video for Hair. I think she has a tremendous and talented voice and looks like she is in her twenties (as you said, does not look a day over 25) which is not how old high school students are. I know there are plenty of people on Broadway playing much younger roles, she has the chops for it just looked a little old for the part. No need to start pulling forks out.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#118Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:18pm

She also, especially in that headshot, looks quite thin. I know most Tracys lose weight during their run due to the physical nature of the show, but she really does look slender. I wouldn't look at her and think "FAT!" and we're supposed to believe that Tracy is ostracized in part because of her weight.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

TheatreDiva90016
#119Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:19pm

"I thought Amy Hillner looked old for the part and also too skinny"

"I didn't post the video to judge her looks"

"she has the chops for it just looked a little old for the part"

The fork is out. Don't make me use it.

Updated On: 6/11/12 at 06:19 PM

Erica007
#120Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:39pm

In your quotes of what I said, you left out the parts where I said how talented she is, what a great voice I think she has and looking too skinny to play Tracy I would think would normally be a compliment. Despite all these other people being enraged about a cruise ship production on the Tony's, I know many talented people who currently work on cruise ships or have and I thought they did a good job. You should save your forks for some of these other people on here.

broadwayjim42
#121Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/11/12 at 6:54pm

None of my comments had anything to do with the quality of her voice or her performance. But from this one, poorly filmed snippet, what came across more prominently was that she physically looked wrong for the role. Too thin...and thanks to shellacked makeup, too old.

Thanks for the other pics though. I did have to crack up a little, though, that while listening to Frank DeCaro's show this afternoon, he mentioned Tracy looking 45.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#122Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/12 at 9:08am

DEClarke - Cruse line performances are not easy due to the motion of a ship. This is why you see dancing that is "dumbed down" to a degree. I have been on several cruise lines and the best shows we saw were on the Disney Cruise Line. I personally don't like Broadway shows on a cruise line because they cut the show to 1 hr 45 to fit ships activity schedule. If I am going to see a Broadway show, I want to see the entire show and not a edited version.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#123Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/12 at 9:11am

Overkill - you gave me a good laugh this morning. Obviously, they pick shows that for the most part are lively and family friendly. Cruise lines are not going to pick some heavy drama type of musical for people on a vacation.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#124Royal Caribbean Cruise's HAIRSPRAY to Perform on Tony Awards
Posted: 6/12/12 at 10:55am

Add me to the group that thought the production looks pretty weak, but what does that have to do with anything? As theatre lovers (which most posters here pretend to be) shouldn't posters be thrilled that cruise lines are encouraging masses of middle class Americans to see live theatre? Isn't that the real benefit? If any real theatre expert takes a cruise to see great Broadway productions, he should be locked up. But for the many cruisers who never even think to go to Broadway or even see a major production on a local tour -- having even watered down and edited versions of Broadway shows has to be a good thing.

Meanwhile what part of a company sponsoring the Tonys and therefore being allowed to advertise do some of you not understand?