pixeltracker

How Is Max von Essen Doing As "Che" During Ricky's Vacation-Absence?

How Is Max von Essen Doing As "Che" During Ricky's Vacation-Absence?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1How Is Max von Essen Doing As "Che" During Ricky's Vacation-Absence?
Posted: 7/5/12 at 10:54am

Has anyone seen the wonderful Max von Essen play "Che" while Ricky Martin is on vacation? Just wondering....from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/21/12 at 10:54 AM

Dangerous Jade
#2How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 10:57am

I'm going to see him tomorrow so I'll report back. Wish you were in town because I have a free extra ticket!! All my theater friends are in Ptown watching Patti.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#2How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 12:29pm

I saw the show Monday night, and thought he was fantastic. Along with Michael Cerveris, he easily carried the whole show. I haven't seen Ricky, but basing my opinion on the Tony performance, Max easily put him to shame with "And the Money Kept Rolling In". It was the one scene of the show that was 100% on point.

One other comment: I do not understand what they were thinking with Elena Roger. I can appreciate her background and even her voice, but I literally couldn't understand half of what she was saying. As someone not familiar with the full libretto since I find most ALW scores insufferable, I feel like I missed out on a fully enjoyable experience because I couldn't understand what she was saying.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 7/6/12 at 12:29 PM

Dangerous Jade
#3How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 12:57pm

I thought her accent was better than when she was in London. Strange that your experience was that bad.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#4How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 1:36pm

Welcome to Broadway World ...Dangerous Jade. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Dangerous Jade
#5How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 1:40pm

Thank you, fellow Lupone fanatic How Is Max von Essen Doing As I hear in Provincetown she did four Evita songs in the original key - Seth Rudetsky said he cried.

rjm516
#6How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 1:59pm

Oh man I wish I could see it with Max! Ricky was fine, and I guess it's 'cool' that I saw Ricky Martin on Broadway, but it's not $100+ cool.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 2:06pm

Max does a number "on pointe"!
I gotta see this!

I just can't understand why a shirtless Che scene was not added for this production.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#8How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 2:15pm

He is fine. I only caught act 2. He seems very interchangeable with any number of Che's that one might have seen in stock. Perhaps a little sexier in his way. Ricky might not be very good in the show. But at least his performance gives this debacle a purpose; which is to see a international mega star in a broadway show.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#9How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/5/12 at 2:20pm

Wish I had seen him instead of Ricky Martin, who lived up to his poor reviews, IMO. Curiously, I really liked Elena Roger. True, her high notes aren't great, but other than that I thought she was fantastic (and sexy as hell).

BTW, for the few reading this who haven't, you must watch Von Essen's rendition of "Proud Lady" on that site.

The Scorpion
#10How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 5:22am

The fact that so many people on this board have been incredibly harsh on Elena Roger's (stunning, IMHO) performance but have little/nothing to say about the fact that Ricky Martin cannot act, even if he is the one making this show sell on Broadway, does nothing to alter my impression that Broadway is all about the belt and little to do with fine acting.

And seriously, every time someone says "I can't understand what they were thinking" or "why didn't they get an American woman?!" re the transfer of Elena Roger, I keep feeling like pulling out her London reviews. Not a single bad one. All raves. Olivier Award nomination. If you were producing the show, wouldn't it be rather stupid of you NOT to bring over the one element that all the critics and audiences unanimously loved?

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#11How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 5:32am

Scorpion, it wasnt a financial hit in London and closed much sooner than expected plus many audience members didnt like Elena (just as much as some liked/loved her) so it wasnt unanimous.

As for reviews, it makes me laugh when reviews are dragged out as proof that an opinion must be right.

The Scorpion
#12How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 5:48am

Never said it was a financial hit (it really should have been though, given the reviews; sadly RUG did their usual job of messing up in the producing department). Fair enough, you're the first I know of from London not to have liked her, but otherwise her reception from the London audiences was, for the most part, positive. My point in any case is not who is "right", but that the critical reviews she got across the board in London, regardless of whether they were right or not, are the reason for her transfer. ANY performer who gets reviews like those would be signed up for the transfer without question.

Updated On: 7/6/12 at 05:48 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#13How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 9:07am

Just saw him last night and he was terrific. It was my first time seeing it, as I wanted to see it when Martin was on vacation.

But the true surprise was Elena Roger. While she doesn't sing like Patti, her acting is tour-de-force. Hands down one of the best performances I've seen in ages. She should've been nominated.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

lupone76
#15How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 9:53am

It's all wonderful that Ms. Elena Roger can act the role well which infact I agree she does. However, it happens to be a sung through out role with lots of high notes and crescendos which she clearly she does not have the vocal chops for. Alas, a bloody disaster. So, after seeing her in the role three times and seeing her lack of vocal attributes totally ruin the first ever revival of EVITA, I say what were they thinking????

Updated On: 7/6/12 at 09:53 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 9:57am

I think it's somewhat of an insult to the many other talented women who've played this role before (Elaine Paige, LuPone, to the many women who've done it on tour or regionally) to suggest that for the first time there's a performer playing the role that "acts" the role. The implication being that Paige, LuPone, et. all did nothing more than stand center stage and belt all night long.

Updated On: 7/6/12 at 09:57 AM

lupone76
#17How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 9:59am

Adam, I agree 100 percent. Amen!!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#18How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 10:01am

Forgive me Adam, but it's "Paige".

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#19How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 10:05am

^Fixed.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 11:18am

Sally Field was on Kimmel and he asked her if it upset her that people called her Fields instead of Field all the time. She basically said she didn't give a crap.

#21How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 12:52pm

I saw it last night for the second time and was once again, blown away by Elena Roger. True she is no LuPone, but I loved her take on the role. I am a HUGE LuPone fan and couldn't imagine anyone else in the role of Eva, but Elena holds her own. Yes, vocally she can be shrill but for some reason, it worked for me.

On the other hand, I am glad Ricky was out this week. Max was very good but like other posters said, there wasn't enough "fire or anger there" . i guess he and Ricky have been directed to just mug. I wanted anger.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#22How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 1:10pm

Adamgreer, all I could think of was...

"The implication being that I have not been saying the lines exactly as wriTTen?"

Continue on.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#23How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 1:47pm

Max can outsing Ricky, and anyone can outsing Elena, she is an embarrassment and her acting isn't THAT great either. She ruined the show, there are so many talented Argentinean actresses that can hit the notes required for this great score. A true shame, but the show sells well thanks to Ricky anyways.
I was sad to see such a brilliant show lacking the magic it had on tour when I saw it with Sarah Litzinger.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#24How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 1:55pm

With this week's performance schedule slightly off due to the holiday, does anyone know if Christina is still going on tomorrow for the matinee? and will she be doing either of the two Sunday shows?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#25How Is Max von Essen Doing As
Posted: 7/6/12 at 2:09pm

"I just can't understand why a shirtless Che scene was not added for this production."

Because Ricky is at his "between records and video shoots" weight. He's not training heavily like he does before a record drops. He wanted to look like an "everyman" and not a "latino hearthrob." Alas, no skin.

Plus after seeing Max's taint in "Hello Again" I really dont need to see him shirtless. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos