pixeltracker

OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!- Page 9

OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#200OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:25pm

Alright After Eight, I just tore my old, curmudgeonly collaborator a new one and now I'm going to tear you, his equal in the old department, a new one with less paragraphs

This is a thread that is complementing Bruce Kimmel and all the people at Kritzerland for performing a miracle job on a poorly produced cast album of a great show. (Despite what you think.) We're not talking about Daniel Massey. We're not talking about Ben Stone being unbearable or bearable or whatever.

Keep your head out of here and F*CK OFF. Thank you.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#201OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:30pm

Except they all had such terrible hair in that production. I mean, Julia McKenzie practically had a mullet.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#202OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:31pm

Let's try to live in 1971, and not that production. It was more like FOLLIES-Lite.

After Eight
#203OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:42pm

"This is a thread that is complementing Bruce Kimmel and all the people at Kritzerland for performing a miracle job on a poorly produced cast album of a great show."

Uhh, jv, if you notice, I was commenting on a remark made in this very thread.

But thanks awfully for your charming words.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#204OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:44pm

You're welcome. They were a long time coming.

3bluenight
#205OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:54pm

Mine arrived today. I haven't any new praise to add, other than it is all well deserved. It's such a wonderful contribution.

The voices aren't lost or drowned out, the balance is even, superb. THANK YOU.

Namaste

After Eight
#206OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 9:59pm

^

Really?

I seem to have seen them only yesterday. And the day before that, and the day before that.

In fact, one might say they're second nature to you now.

Except, in your case, they seem more like first nature.

But hey, I'm glad this cd came out so well.

I've always enjoyed bk's recordings.

Enjoy!

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#207OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/6/12 at 10:17pm

Just finished listening to it again and I've had to remind myself that this was once a badly mixed album of a 1971 musical. It sounds great and there's no sign it used to leave much to be desired. It could have been recorded in 1985, 2006, 1997, 2012. Only well produced albums are this timeless sounding. And I'm a notoriously picky mofo when it comes to mixing. I practically crucify myself on my own Les Mis orchestral tracks. Not that I'm an authority (amateur through and through) but I do possess the most astute, big, satellite ears around, lol.

And your mix did not make them twitch. That's a good thing.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#208OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 1:20am

While we're singing bk's well-deserved praises, I want to mention two words that were blurred on the original, but are now crystal clear thanks to the remix.

One is John McMartin's "him" on "Who remembers him?" at the end of the "The Road You Didn't Take".

The other and more important example is Alexis Smith's "Guess!" at the end of "Would I Leave you?".

Yes, I have a copy of the production script so I knew what the words were supposed to be, but they were incomprehensible on earlier releases.

Not any more. Thank you, bk.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#209OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 2:19am

After Eight, although I didn't find anything objectionable or out of place, in your original comment, I can't blame anyone for jumping down your throat with all the hatred and anger you thrust onto these boards. :)

Anyways...

I've lost count on the number of listens I'm on for the new recording. It's amazing how much there is to discover. It's been a perfect companion for my re-read of Chapin's "Everything Was Possible" (which I'm finishing and just might read again, straight after).

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

3bluenight
#210OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 2:33am

I have been reading sections of it as well while i listen. i'm only on my fourth or fifth listen. and i've been writing, so each time things will pop out and i'll be truly surprised by some of the orchestrations or a moment that an actor has that seems much more present than before.

Namaste

BDrischBDemented
#211OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 3:19am

I just got my copy today and I've only listened to about a third of it so far, but what I've heard is simply fantastic. You did AMAZING work with this, bk. I'm so glad I bought this.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

MomofOZ
#212OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 3:08pm

Hi there,

This is Dorothy Collins daughter, Melissa. I haven't been on this board in a couple of years and decided to check it out today and came across this thread. Is it possible for me to get a copy of this remastered recording???
Thank you,
M

bk
#213OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 4:14pm

Melissa, I just responded to your private message here - just drop me a line at kritzerland at gmail dot com

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#214OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 4:35pm

It arrived!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#215OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 4:40pm

Hey, I'm related to Yvonne De Carlo, can I get a copy too?!? OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!

follies85
#216OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 7:55pm

Just an f.y.i. for anyone who didn't get the newly remixed and remastered album or for those who may want a second copy, Footlight seems to have some in stock.
Link

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#217OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 8:14pm

I'm the love child of Fifi D'Orsay and Ethel Shutta... private messaging my address now! OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#218OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 8:18pm

^^Thanks so much for that!

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

bk
#219OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:45pm

I'd be very surprised if he had any left at Footlight, knowing how many we sent him. But, who knows. If he has them, get it now because he won't for long.

Rockyfan2000 Profile Photo
Rockyfan2000
#220OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/8/12 at 3:56pm

Mine arrived today and all I can say is "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!".

"It's not where you start, it's where you finish!"

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#221OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/11/12 at 1:36pm

As of Tuesday, Footlights had at least one copy left, because he sold it to me. It arrived yesterday, and has been in heavy rotation around the house, on dog walks and in the car.

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus of thanks--a great service has been done for the listening public and the history of American Musical Theater--not to mention Rabid Show-tune Queens!

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

bk
#222OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/11/12 at 3:46pm

Let me reiterate: We still have emergency copies at Kritzerland - I held back more than I normally do because I am always worried about lost or damaged copies - but I think most people have now gotten theirs safe and sound.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#224OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/11/12 at 5:58pm

Dearest Bruce, I am sitting here in amazement, with tears in my eyes, listening to the show that changed my theatergoing life, the show I traveled to Boston to see in tryout, the show I saw on opening night in New York, the show I had to beg the box office to sell me standing room when the show was not (and never was) sold out, the show I dragged everyone I knew to see and almost none of them got it, the show I wrote to Hal Prince for a standing room ticket for the closing night, the show whose final performance was one of the most exciting events in my then-young life (when they announced that Kurt Peterson would be playing Young Ben at that performance, a roar went up in the theatre, and I knew I was in for the ride of my life, and it was).
After so many near-miss and not-quite-right attempts to get this show right, along comes Bruce to recreate the magic, as intact as it can possibly be, and sounding the way that it never did on recording. Thank you, Bruce, from the bottom of my heart and for all of FOLLIES fanatics out there, for this miracle. And so glad that Steve was "knocked out" by it!

bk
#225OBCR of FOLLIES remixed and remastered!
Posted: 8/11/12 at 8:05pm

Jay in Chelsea - your post brought tears to MY eyes.