pixeltracker

An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 3:41pm

I am fascinated. How do I get to read this?
Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon papers.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Gothampc
#2An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 4:50pm

"Loudon, a last-minute, out-of-town replacement as Miss Hannigan, found in the role just the right showcase for her brassy voice and her sharp sense of humor."

I didn't know she was a replacement. Who was the original actress playing Hannigan?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 4:57pm

I always thought she was with the show at Goodspeed.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#3An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 5:06pm

Maggie Task

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#4An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 7:28pm

That name sounds familiar.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#5An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 7:59pm

Thanks for posting this DAME. If you ever find out how and or if we get to read this please let me know. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:34pm

Wow. I never realized that Loudon wasn't the original Hannigan at Goodspeed. According to Martin Charnin:

There was still work to be done -- including the recasting of the actress playing Miss Hannigan. "Hannigan had to be funny and mean -- but only mean in the sense that this is the only job she could get and she is surrounded by all these children and she just didn't have the strength anymore. The lady we had was mean and not that funny. It became apparent we weren't going to continue on together.

Here's a pic with Edie Cowan, Robert Fitch, and Maggie Task from the show's first first incarnation.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:55pm

I am assuming NYPL means New York Public Library, where the papers are located. Maybe they will let you read them in the library.

Just give the world Love.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#8An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/15/12 at 9:30pm

Perhaps it will be a part of some exhibit?

temms Profile Photo
temms
#9An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 3:41am

This is all material that's at the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center. It's probably not housed on site at the Library but in a separate storage facility - there are far more collections than there is shelf space at LC.

It looks like they'll be featuring some highlights from the Loudon collection on the NYPL blog over the next few months, but if you want to go through the materials yourself all you need to do is go to the library and speak to a research librarian and have them put in the request. The materials will be retrieved from the offsite facility (it takes a couple days, so you need to plan in advance - I'm sure you could call and speak to a research librarian ahead of time if your days were limited).

You can then go through the materials one at a time in the Special Collections Reading Room where a librarian will give them to you (they even give you little white gloves so none of the acid from your fingers ruins the materials).

The full list of what's in the Loudon papers is here:

http://www.nypl.org/ead/79957

You'd have to request the specific boxes you want to see. The collection isn't just sitting there at the library to be browsed through, it all goes through the librarians and the items must be specifically requested.

That said, the librarians are there to help with this very thing, so if it's something you're interested in, go for it.

Broadway Baby8 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby8
#10An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:46am

As much as I love Katie Finneran (thought she was wonderful in Promises, Promises and so deserving of that Tony award), she's got some big shows to fill....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMTcQnmWut8

"Be a Fountain, Not a Drain." --Rex Hudler

Gothampc
#11An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 11:00am

Dorothy Loudon was an incredible talent who never really got the career she deserved. She had the rare talent of being able to make you laugh (Annie, Sweeney Todd) or break your heart (Ballroom).
Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#12An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 1:36pm

SO with the technology available today I wonder why these can't be scanned for on line access. Even with a charge.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#13An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:59pm

You can make an appointment to view specific boxes of the material, but make sure you book it like two weeks in advance. I tried to take a look at the Fred Ebb papers and thought a week's notice would be sufficient. Nope.

And this is a dumb, possibly offensive question, but in all seriousness, was Rooster's girlfriend played by a man in drag in that Tony Awards clip? I've always wondered. She sort of looks like George Hearn as Zaza.

Updated On: 8/16/12 at 10:59 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#14An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 11:20pm

...in all seriousness, was Rooster's girlfriend played by a man in drag in that Tony Awards clip?

Maybe you are joking but if you are serious I'll give you the answer....no. That is the wonderful Barbara Erwin.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/16/12 at 11:22pm

I wasn't joking. The makeup job there is just a little too much. I thought perhaps the actress couldn't play the Tonys that night, and they had to throw a chorus boy in her costume. I'm serious.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#16An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/17/12 at 5:45pm

Saw Ms. Loudon in "Jerry's Girls" and outside of one funny moment (playing a stripper) was not overly impressed. Maybe it was the show and not Ms. Loudon but since it was the only show I saw her in that was my impression.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#17An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/17/12 at 6:11pm

It wasn't the show. It wasn't her. It was you. Loudon was hysterical one moment and vulnerable the next. A gifted stage actress.

Broadway Baby8 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby8
#18An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/17/12 at 6:44pm

Classic Loudon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQcUdSwHD_w&playnext=1&list=PLDE2159C8C2A41F37&feature=results_video

"Be a Fountain, Not a Drain." --Rex Hudler
Updated On: 8/17/12 at 06:44 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#20An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/18/12 at 9:24am

JV92 - after reading your response, I looked up the NY Times review (Frank Rich) of the show. Mr. Rich did not think too much of her performance in this show either so it was not just me. Like I said, it is the only thing I saw her in so I would not make a judgement of her ability based on one performance.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#21An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/18/12 at 3:58pm

Rich is a wonderful writer, and was, in my opinion, an astute drama critic, and yes, the show was stale. (Also,I don't think Frank Rich was or is any great fan of Jerry Herman's work, especially in a Vegas-style revue, only on Broadway.) But Loudon was one of a kind. I would have to disagree with him if he did not think she was any good.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#22An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/18/12 at 4:00pm

yankeefan7: So? Why poo poo on someone else? Feel better now?

Updated On: 8/18/12 at 04:00 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#23An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/18/12 at 6:10pm

DAME - I just respectfully expressed my opinion about the one time I saw her perform. Heck, I even questioned if the show had something to do with my opinion of her performace. I just pointed out the NY TImes review to see what the critics thought of her performance and the show and Mr. Rich was not as kind as me. I can't say I have read all your posts but I am fairly sure you have said something negative about someone's performance at least once. No, I don't feel better and wish every show and performer I saw was wonderful but that is not realistic.

Updated On: 8/18/12 at 06:10 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#24An Introduction to the Dorothy Loudon Papers
Posted: 8/18/12 at 6:53pm

I guess that was a bit bitchy on my part.. So sorry.