Jekyll & Hyde

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#200Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:07pm

This is the Moment, Someone Like You, Once Upon A Dream, In His Eyes, and A New Life all sound fantastic. A Dangerous Game sounds pretty... well... interesting, and Bring on the Men sounds awkward. The songs that were done well though sound awesome.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 9/21/12 at 06:07 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#201Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:15pm

haters gonna hate

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#202Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:27pm

^ I wish she had sounded like that when I saw her.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

bwayphreak234
#203Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:30pm

I'm anxious to see some videos/photos of the production to see what the set looks like. There's not even a picture of the curtain up on foursquare yet Jekyll & Hyde

MichelleDeparphraden Profile Photo
MichelleDeparphraden
#204Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:36pm

Saw it in La Mirada last Thursday!!! And going to catch it again in San Diego before it leaves CA! Loved it that much.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#205Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:48pm

I thought the set looked great!

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

bwayphreak234
#206Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/21/12 at 6:52pm

Are there a lot of set pieces outside of the panels with projections?

silent
#207Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/22/12 at 9:36am

Deborah has done it again. I listened to youtube clips of Linda Eder singing these songs and was bored to tears. Deb brought them to life. Teal Wicks has a nice, clear singing voice. If she's considered the "star" of the show, well....good for her. Jekyll & Hyde

jekyllforever
#208Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/22/12 at 2:30pm

The Concepts album is now #2 on Amazon's Hot New Releases. They must all be desperate!

bwayphreak234
#209Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/22/12 at 6:04pm

Does anyone have curtain picture?

LALALand Profile Photo
LALALand
#210Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 12:47pm

Saw this on Saturday. What are they thinking?!?!?! Constantine is just awful, laughable at times and never convincing. Deborah Cox is hoarse (maybe a couple of days off would help her) but is a better actor than her co-star. The second act is very slow and the confrontation had us in hysterics (not in a good way). The material is just as weak and terrible as I remember. Wouldn't recommend this unless you are a fan of the show or someone involved.

#211Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 1:55pm

No.
it's just that anything Frank Wildhorn is a joke.
Can someone please post the lyrics to Murder Murder?

That is some heinous laugh riot!!!

It makes me chortle every time I hear it.

(which really makes me not want to hear it).
so I guess i won't.

Taking this show seriously is a joke.
chortle chortle chortle chortle

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#212Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 1:56pm

^ While I don't agree about the material, I'm with you on Cox. Beautiful voice, soulful interpretation but she it seems like she already needs a vocal rest. I can't help but wonder if that's why "Girls of the Night" isn't included - too much for Cox to sing.

The pre-West End tour that never actually made it there (it was more of revisal than this tour, but a total disaster starring and produced by Paul Nicholas, possibly the worst Jekyll/Hyde ever), shifted the song to be much more ensemble themed, removing most of Lucy's parts to just listening/chiming in as an ensemble member. I'm also so surprised this song hasn't made it in the show again yet.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#213Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 2:02pm

"Can someone please post the lyrics to Murder Murder?"

You would've loved the UK original tour then - the Jekyll/Hyde couldn't hold the final note of the reprise of Alive, so the ensemble came to end the first act with a "prelude" of "Murder, Murder," which of course also opened Act II.

#214Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 2:04pm

^ OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I would've sharted at that point in my seat.

LALALand Profile Photo
LALALand
#215Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 2:33pm

I do have to admit that while he wasn't a good actor, I thought Constantine was able to sing the score competently. I'll bet with some rest, Ms Cox would sound terrific. As of Saturday, she sounded very tired and had to push...a lot. But that confrontation scene, so over the top. just completely ridiculous.

Jamminman
#216Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 3:26pm

Can't wait to see the tour. Songs I can't get enough of one the Concept CD: No one knows who I am, Someone Like You, In His Eyes, Dangerous Game (Deb sounds great here), Girls of the Night, A New Life.

I can see how the score would be draining on Cox's voice, and I don't mean this with any offense, but remember that she is a studio singer and didn't make her career belting out a difficult Broadway score to a very perceptive audience every night.

Either way, I love the CD, but I am also a huge Jekyll & Hyde Fan (Anthony Warlow forever)!!

jekyllforever
#217Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 7:04pm

When I saw the show, I did not compare it to any other versions. I love Wildhorn's music and I am not a mean person who likes to trash people anonymously on the Internet. So, I enjoyed it. Not going to get in a war over who is good and who is not. I appreciate what these people bring to their roles and I love this play. I hope it makes it to Broadway and then I will go see it again.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#218Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 7:05pm

Cool story bro. If I was a Broadway producer I'd wish all audience members were like you.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#219Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 7:58pm

Speaking of the awful first UK tour, Paul N who played Jekyll and Hyde was on click track some nights for the WHOLE of act. He was horrible. The set was bad, the lighting was bad, the costumes were bad. I remember the leading ladies doing pretty well but the whole night was pretty much a bust. Many many people walked out the night i was there, almost half of the audience.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#220Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 10:25pm

^ "I remember the leading ladies doing pretty well but the whole night was pretty much a bust."

Shona Lindsay played Emma (or she may have actually been called Lisa in this tour - WHAT!). Paul Nicholas was a disaster, but the layout of the show was more of a total disaster. (cue "This is the Moment" as the lead up to the wedding song, Facade reprises galore, and a favorite random scene shift: "Dangerous Game" AFTER "A New Life")

Louise Dearman was undeniably the star, and the show (from what I know) made a West End star of her - she got a record deal shortly following the tour and has gone on to be very successful, the first actress to play Elphaba and Glinda in Wicked, another recording, etc. What a voice - I would revisit Wicked just to hear her every night.

She got all the big numbers in Jekyll to sing though (and could pull them off just as good as Linda), so I can't imagine with a score like that for a character she wouldn't have been!

Pauly3
#221Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/24/12 at 10:36pm

LALA, just curious as to why you bothered to see a show with material you don't like?? Honest question.

You find the confrontation scene rediculous, so I am also curious how you would stage it? Another honest question.

Must a fictional story, played out on a stage, lean more toward plausibility in comparison to reality than where our imaginations go when reading a book of the same material?

The over the top confrontation scene puts you in Jekyll's head more than does the hair ballet of previous versions (I think). Yeah, it may be way over the top - but rediculous and laughable? Those who hate the material will likely agree. Which brings me back to why go see the new version of the same material of which you dislike?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#222Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/25/12 at 1:38am

^ Clearly someone never saw the mirror illusion. Enlighten him, guys.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Oldrose Profile Photo
Oldrose
#223Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/25/12 at 10:52am

Houston here. Don S. are you on this board. We were so sorry
to hear about Richie.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#224Jekyll & Hyde
Posted: 9/25/12 at 11:35am

I admit that I think the show is just awful, but no matter what you may think of the rest of it, that climax, that ridiculous self-duet, is like a bad sketch from Saturday Night Live, Mad TV, or In Living Color. It's such inadvertent clumsy camp, it's difficult to conceive how anyone could ever take it seriously.

But then, one has to take a step back and realize that there are people who think plastic slipcovers and velvet paintings of cats are seriously attractive...