pixeltracker

2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread- Page 5

2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#1002012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:11pm

Hated the live streaming of the Grand Auction when commercials interrupted the bidding and then just stopping the feed abruptly. Money for a GR8 cause but the bids were out of my range if I had been there. How much did the Wicked Experience go for?

lightguy06222
#1012012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:38pm

Got a Lion King Tote Bag, souvenier programs from Sister Act, Lend Me a Tenor, Cry Baby, and Bring it on, unopened DVDs of Billy Elliot, and Cirque's Varekei, and the creepiest book I've EVER seen, "The Dollies Put on a Play"

DVDs were 2 or 3 bucks... everything else was $1.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1022012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:38pm

What a collection of crap this year!!!!!!

Seriously, it seemed like every table had pretty much the same stuff and was charging WAY more money than usual (which is why an hour ago they still had it all sitting there).

I found some good bargains and got a few cool things but man, this year was a total letdown.

dave1606
#1032012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:58pm

I do agree that this was not the best of the flea market. When I did my first pass it looked like the only thing I was going to get was a Once souvenier program for $5. However, as the day went on I found some really great finds, even for a lesser year.

I will post a picture of what I got. Hands down the best thing i got was the once coasters. One signed by Steve Kazee for $10 and a set of unsiged ones for $5.

I LOVE Them. That said I have gotten everything from a Nick Jonas How to Suceed pillow/t-shirt/magnet set for $5 to Lyssie Jones Pom Poms.

the key with this market is always to come back towards the end of the day. I found 90 percent of what I bought at 5pm.

I also did the spin the wheel for tickets. I did 11 for $20 and won tickets to two shows. If anyone wants my Black Angels Over Tuskegee tickets they are more than welcome to PM me and I will mail them. the other show I won was Checkers at the Vineyard which I am very excited about. plus a bunch of crap. (Lombardi football, blue man hand sanitzer etc.)
It was a really painful wait I must say, but worth it.

Updated On: 9/23/12 at 06:58 PM

dave1606
#1042012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 6:59pm

2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread

Here is a picture of everything I got.

jeffmiele
#1052012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:00pm

I got some good scripts and a really nice picture of Michael Crawford in Phantom gear that was autographed.

I won Virginia Woolf tickets too so that was the biggest success.

Far From Home Profile Photo
Far From Home
#1062012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:04pm

Live stream was terrible because it kept quitting. Does anyone know what the Angela Lansbury lunch went for.

Dollypop
#1072012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:24pm

Elizabeth and I are home. Her assessment of the Flea Market was that "it was only for grown ups" Why? Because it was so crowded a little girl couldn't see much. We didn't buy anything. We'll make our contribution to BC/EFA by buying some of their Christmas ornaments.

The day wasn't a total bust, though, because we both enjoyed this afternoon's performance of THE FANTASTICKS.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#1092012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:33pm

Did anyone see the playbill at the Wicked table. Very rare pre-Broadway one signed by S. schwartz. They had a bunch, but it was rare.....$500.

also a monkey mask $1000

Some of the Wicked prices were outrageous

Dollypop
#1102012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:42pm

I have wonderful memories of the various casts preparing food items that were sold at the Flea Market. I recall BEAUTY AND THE BEAST selling several different kinds of chili. NAKED BOYS SINGING had cookies that were shaped like....well, you know.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#1112012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:44pm

Had a blast this year - I won the Opening Night package for Drood- cant wait!!!
Got some other cool stuff too- only complaint- I miss the guy from last year who ran the photo booth. He was much more organized and easier to work with. My family got our picture taken with Bernadette & Harvey!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#1122012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:45pm

I was also a little disappointed in some of the selections, but that also could be because I was on a budget of basically no dollars. I did get some good Playbills and, more importantly, a Playbill my friend has been looking for forever. Of course then I had to stumble upon the Evita table selling a window card from the LA tryout of the original production for $100. Weeping that it was so much/I had no money.

Did anyone get any of the Hal Prince-signed Playbills at the Phantom table? I thought that they were pretty reasonably priced (~$40 to $70) for what they were. Although I spent the whole day asking perfectlymarvelous, my Flea Market buddy, if things were signed by Hal Prince because I wasn't interested otherwise.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#1132012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:46pm

The price that I thought was craziest was a poster signed by Idina and Kristin for $1000...but I agree, the prices at the Wicked and Evita tables were pretty ridiculous. I get that it's for charity but $100 for a signed Playbill from Evita was a bit much...it seemed they didn't sell very many as there were still a ton left by the time I left at around 4:45.

My favorite find this year was probably a full cast signed Playbill of James Joyce's The Dead from Playwrights Horizons. I also got a dark blue "Starcatcher" Peter and the Starcatcher shirt for very cheap which was fun.

Updated On: 9/23/12 at 07:46 PM

After Eight
#1142012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 7:59pm

"What a collection of crap this year!!!!!! "

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think the problem is that one person can come early, sweep away all the good things on a table, put it all in a shopping wagon, and walk away with a treasure, leaving only the scraps behind. If you happened to be behind that person you were out of luck. I saw it happen this year with with a whole pile of vocal scores, and a series of best plays books. Previously, I've seen entire collections of cds taken by one person. Don't know the solution to this.

There's shoving around the tables, and that's none too pleasant.

But I guess the way to approach it is to lower one's expectations, not see it as an opportunity to make acquisitions, but rather a way to spend a nice afternoon, buy a cupcake or brownie, and perhaps happen upon a nice discovery or two.

In any case, we had beautiful weather, and it was a fun event. I bought a few small items, and overall was very pleased.

Rainbowhigh23
#1152012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:00pm

This is was my first flea market and regret missing the previous! I arrived early, checked out some tables but made more of an effort to get on line for the autograph table. They were pulling people from the table to do the photo booth, leaving some autograph seekers waiting, but I was fortunate that for the 12PM line no one was pulled before I was able to pass. Kara Lindsay was one of the first to go to photo booth but returned, as were Alice Ripley and Steve Kazee. It was nice to just turn right and get on line for the photo, which was quite light for 12PM but massive for 2PM with Bernadette. On that line I was able to get some chat time with Rebecca Luker and Donna Murphy, and Danny Burstein signed my Women on the Verge CD booklet.

As for the tables, they were indeed expensive and had a lot of crap, save for the Playbill tables, obviously. The Bring It On cupcakes were amazing, though. The Once table had cupcakes made by the cast and the Martin guitar discs, signed and unsigned, some other things I don't remember, and had the most interesting collection, in my opinion. The One Man 2 Guvnors tea seat was weird - cheap Lipton tea bags for a British show?! I was expecting a more robust builder's tea like PG Tips. LOL Got some amazing bargains on t shirts at the end of the day, and got that Other Desert Cities mug I had been wanting for $1.

I enjoyed meeting Michele Mais from Rock of Ages who was the ROA table between shows. Tony Sheldon was walking around near Duffy Square and while I was on line for the 2PM what looked like the new Annie ran past. Fun and interesting day!

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#1162012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:05pm

Not the best Flea Market ever, but there were still some nice bargains to be had... As usual, I got a load of Playbills for my collection. Also some cheap programs (How to Succeed, Hugh Jackman, Follies, Anything Goes,...) and scripts (Scottsboro Boys, BoM, Master Class,...). Props are always some of my favorite items, this year I got a broken record from Memphis and sheet music from Phantom.

At the Phantom table, I also found a ziplock bag with a blue How to Succeed bowtie for $20. The lady claimed that it was used in the show. I'm entirely sure about that, but I will just imagine that it was indeed worn by Dan Radcliffe before they started auctioning off those bowties... 2012 Broadway Flea Market Thread

jo
#1172012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:34pm

Broadway Cares reports:

>>>Broadway Cares?@BCEFA
And passes to the premiere of the film of Les Miserables just sold for $32,000! #BwayFlea2012<<<

Who sez no one is excited about the movie musical version of Les Miserables??!!

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#1172012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:38pm

That was me! XD

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#1182012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 8:56pm

I thought this year was pretty fair. I got there really early to do a sweep through just to see what they were putting out as they set up. I didn't really see much and once 9:30 came around, pretty much every table was selling already. I had probably bought around $60 in my first trip, (including the $20 I spent at the pick-a-ticket table, which I didn't win at), about $120 in my second trip, and around $50 in my third trip. I got quite a substantial amount of items for the amount I spent. My biggest price purchase was a signed book from Wicked by the ensemble. I got it for $25. Otherwise everything was from the free-$10 range, most stuff being on the lower end. I thought it was a pretty good year and I got a lot of things I didn't even expect to be there.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#1192012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 9:03pm

Having long ago abandoned playbills and posters, I now hunt (again) for LPs, and this year I drew a six-record royal flush: six private-pressing solo piano albums by Harvey Schmidt. They include MERRY CHRISTMAS 1975, TWO FILM SCORES FOR SOLO PIANO and the four volumes of MOVIE MUSIC IN A SMALL TEXAS TOWN (sealed!). I'm in heaven.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1202012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 9:11pm

Who was that lady with the very distinguished almost British accent? She was one of the auctioneers. I thought she was cool. from RC at Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#1212012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 9:40pm

I did end up getting a lot of stuff. Mostly playbills though.

Cds:
The Goodbye Girl
Finian's Rainbow-1960 Cast
Howard McGillan

Framed Come Fly Away windowcard-Only for the frame.
Priscilla Queen of the Desert program
Anything Goes cup

A really odd plaque thing from the show The Play About The Baby-I had no idea what it was. The artwork was just intriguing and the thing only cost me a quarter at the end of the day.

I won a pair of tickets from the TDF table for The Fantasticks. I'm going with my parents, so I am not trading or selling those.

Went through the 2pm autograph table.

Spin the Wheel thing:
3 bottles of bubbles
2 Anything Goes Pins
A book titled Gay Day: The Golden Age of the Christopher Street Parade

I got 22 playbills all together. Highlights were an almost original cast of Company. Dean Jones was gone. And, I think I've heard people talk about Raggedy Ann, The Musical here before? Can't remember if that is a good or bad one.

I agree that some prices were ridiculous. There was a bin of windowcards that were framed for $100 each. None of them were signed and none were outrageously uncommon, I believe. End of day, they were marked down to $75. No thank you. I got my frame for $10.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1222012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 9:51pm

I have never seen so much Martin Guerre stuff in my life.

A lady tried to sell me a Les Miz sweatshirt for $20 at the Actors Temple table. I didn't buy it.

The Lion King people were super nice and at the end, told me I could grab as many baked goods as I wanted and just give them $3. I got some fudge, cookies and a little loaf of bread and the guy said, "Oh, just give me $2!"

The Phantom table seemed to have fewer props than usual, but it was sad/cool to see that much crap from Vegas.

I wish Book of Mormon had had a table!

Broadway Green Alliance always wins with their understudy insert notepads. I think I bought 5.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1232012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 9:59pm

I'm loving my August Osage County RX notepads that I found.

Dollypop
#1242012 Broadway Flea Market Thread
Posted: 9/23/12 at 10:10pm

I'm loving the Jake Gyllenhall autograph we got as he was passing through.

Videos