pixeltracker

Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!

Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#2Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/6/12 at 7:24pm

I can actually see this. Not a bad choice.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#3Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/6/12 at 9:59pm

I admit to being incredibly biased, but I think this is a great choice of casting! :)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/6/12 at 10:34pm

Nice choice. Although, I didn't see all the hub-bub in La Cage. We'll see how he does..

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
willep
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/6/12 at 11:36pm

Hodge seems too... warm to me. When it was Shaiman's longtime partner in crime Martin Short reported, that made perfect sense, since like both Wilder and Depp, there was a duality to him. You were never entirely sure if Wonka was sweet with a core of deep unpleasantness, or unpleasant with a deep core of sweetness. Short's entire career has revolved around playing characters like that to great acclaim- plus, Shaiman always seems to have the most fun writing for Marty.

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#9Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/6/12 at 11:39pm

Very inspired choice. Love it and hope he brings it to Broadway.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#10Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 4:43am

I agree, that Martin Short would have been very ideal, but still! Douglas is so great, and I can't wait to see what he brings to the role. Maybe Martin can take over if it ever comes to Broadway. :)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 9:31am

I hate to say this, but the cynic in me says they're avoiding casting a "big star" like Short, and instead going the "reputable actor" route by casting Hodge, who would be easily replaceable in these big factory (no pun intended) stage musicals.

Hodge is not a household name. Short is, and if you cast him, when it comes time to replace him, they'll be facing a major disappointment from audiences who want to see a Hollywood star if they can't find someone of equal caliber to replace him.

Plus, it's no secret that Hodge and others with similar reputation would cost a lot less than Martin Short.

In some cases, casting a big name (particularly for a revival or a limited run) is a great idea. With revivals it can make and clearly sustain the production.

With an original musical (well, as "original" as most musicals get these days), they are wise to establish it by its name recognition alone, and not by the "big name" talent in a leading role.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 9/7/12 at 09:31 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 12:56pm

Is Martin Short really still an A-list name? I think of him as very prime C-list, other than maybe on Broadway. The ultimate in guest star potential, but certainly not a "big name" except as a Broadway star or sometimes comic.

Don't get me wrong, he's probably one of my favorite performers, but he's an anomaly in the states- his multi-character-artist schtick is the quintessential modern British comedian's genre.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#13Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 12:58pm

Martin Short is absolutely NOT a household name in the UK.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#14Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 3:14pm

Great casting! On a side note, does anybody know who starred in the readings? I know Mike Tevee was played by Andrew Keenan Bolger

DeNada
#15Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 3:16pm

Indeed - as HistoryBoy2 says, Martin Short is a nobody in the UK. Dougie Hodge isn't a name to the general public but definitely is to theatregoers (and can sell a show on his name alone, pretty much) - but it's the title, and Sam Mendes, that will sell this one here.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 3:30pm

I was definitely think of the US and a transfer when I said that. I wouldn't claim to know how recognizable Martin Short is in the UK. Although he has starred in films in the past, which unless I'm mistaken were released in the UK, right? And Saturday Night Live is or rather WAS shown in the UK, right?

As for A-list vs. C-list, that sadly seems irrelevant today. Everyone from Snookie to Linsday Lohan is a household name. That in no way implies they are A-list, only that most people know who they are and would recognize their names on a marquee. They have an audience and a following.

Updated On: 9/7/12 at 03:30 PM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#17Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 4:07pm

You have to agree there is nothing more uncomfortable than watching a big star in a role, that just can't cut the mustard on stage, it is better to go for a good/great stage actor, or can actually ACT.

DeNada
#18Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 4:25pm

With Martin Short it's a whole lot of "was". He WAS in films, he WAS in Saturday Night Live - but Father Of The Bride is twenty years old now, and SNL has only ever been shown on obscure cable/satellite channels in the dead of night in the UK.

Obviously if you're thinking of a Broadway transfer such casting would make a lot more sense.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19Breaking News: Douglas Hodge to Play 'Willy Wonka' in West End's CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY!
Posted: 9/7/12 at 4:46pm

I hope you understand that I'm not really "for" it. I think it makes more sense (from a producer POV) to make the show the real star and cast "good" actors in the main roles, but actors who can also be replaced fairly easily by other good actors. How recogizable they are isn't as important.

The trend I'm seeing is that revivals (and yes, I'm speaking primarily of U.S. revivals) seem to go for star casting. It has become a giant summer stock theatre, but with "Harry Potter" headlining instead of Joyce De Witt.

New musicals tend to go for reputable leads (former Tony-winners and certainly known and beloved actors in the theatre community) but not usually "household names."

The problem is if you open a "new" show with stars, the audiences that flock to it will want to see a star when they go. If they get a "no name" replacement, many of them will be disappointed. Also, it becomes a little unclear if the show itself is the hit or the celebrity in the role who sold the tickets. (With a revival, you can factor in past glories and the recognizability of the original run.)

With a new show that could potentially run for years, it's actually better to leave the stars out of it.