jacobsnchz14
#25Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 12:32pm

What did the curtain look like?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 12:52pm

Mike- Get tickets a couple rows back. I think if you were front row center you would be slightly obstructed by the conductor and the plank they walk around. The cast walks up and down the aisles several times, just like Leap too. They have the same urge to turn the theater into a revival tent at times- instead of using the orange and blue stripes of Leap, these are yellow and white.

jacob- I'm pretty sure there was no special show curtain

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

theaterfan862 Profile Photo
theaterfan862
#27Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 1:40pm

The only reason I am thinking of seeing this show is because I love Carolee Carmello and George Hearn. If this show had a campy KKK singalong number it would be a lot more interesting!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 1:44pm

We saw it last night . It is nowhere near the train wreck described above.

Kathie Lee was sitting off to the side stage right. She was uber friendly to everyone and must have taken a thousand pictures with fans. At intermission she even stood on line to go to the ladies room which was a surprise .Hoda did the same on the left.

Carolee was the whole show & she gave a bravura performance. The supporting cast was fine as well well but the show belonged to her. Her best stage performance to date.

The score was serviceable with most of the songs plot driven. I enjoyed the Chaplin score more. The set as a whole is fine but it is annoying to see the sides of the stage taken up by the rest of the set when not in use. It does cut down the stage.

The choreography is basically non existant. The show ran almost 3 hours. What should be cut are the Irish dancing in Act 1 and the laughingly bad biblical numbers in Act 2 especially the Moses number which the critics will crucify . The Red seat parting is someone holding material across the stage and pulling it back. Lame. Most of the rest seems Ok & cannot see what could be cut but cutting the above numbers from Act 2 should tighten it immensely & take the camp out of it. No need throwing red meat to the critics by leaving them in.

I saw Gantry and that was indeed a train wreck. This is not . Her performance is something to see & as long as she is in it it has a shot. I expect mixed reviews for the show but her reviews will be laudatory. Brantley will kill it as is his want to do with most of the shows he reviews.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/14/12 at 01:44 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#29Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 2:02pm

Mr Roxy- If you read what I wrote I said it's NOT a campy, fun train wreck. That it was merely boring and had a bland score with terrible lyrics. Being boring is a far greater sin than being a train wreck, which at least can provide some amusement.

Carolee is hindered from giving the spectacular performance you describe because the material lets her down. Yes, she is very good, very committed and in particularly strong voice, even by her standards. But this is not her greatest role to date.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Wilmingtom
#30Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 2:35pm

This show is an utter "Why?" As Whizzer opined, Leap of Faith redux and if that's not an oxymoron...Will someone please write a good musical for Carolee? She throws herself into this thing hook, line and sinker but balls to the wall can only take you so far without decent material.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#31Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 2:38pm

If you did say it was a campy train wreck, I might have regretted trading the tickets I had for next Saturday. But, if it's not that, I am still at having no desire to see it.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 4:31pm

Scandalous Preview Thread

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayphreak234
#33Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 5:02pm

Is the set the same as it was in Seattle?

WhizzerMarvin
#34Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 5:11pm

It appears to be the same set. Those are the stairs that never leave the stage.

WhizzerMarvin
#35Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 5:14pm

Perhaps the stairs were an homage?

bwayphreak234
#36Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 5:15pm

^ I am glad I am not the only person who thought of that Scandalous Preview Thread

Wilmingtom
#37Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 5:51pm

For those who haven't seen it, it is as tack as those pictures make it look.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#38Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 7:44pm

Oh wow! That set is horrible!!

dexter3
#41Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:05pm

So I guess it's all the rage for people on broadwayworld to buy tickets to the first preview and bash the show. Sad.

stevenycguy
#42Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:13pm

While I would personally never pay to see a lengthy first preview (since I like a shorter & more polished final product), it's totally acceptable for a paying audience member (such as via TDF) to post a review of a first preview. At least now I know that if I go to see it, I'm going to pick a 7pm curtain or a matinee since I highly dislike lengthy 8pm shows.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#43Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:25pm

Whizzer wasn't particularly harsh on the show, and he is usually quite fair when reviewing a first preview.
But there is a trend when people post about first previews. These posts usually set the tone for the rest of the feedback given by members on here. Good or bad. Remember WOMEN ON THE VERGE? The show literally had no chance after the first preview chatter on the web.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#44Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:29pm

If they were praising the show, you wouldn't mind so much.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#45Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:33pm

Generally shows get better and not worse during previous though.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#46Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:37pm

Generally shows get better and not worse during previous though.

Exactly, and VERGE did. But there were trolls and haters galore trashing it non stop.

Updated On: 10/14/12 at 08:37 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#47Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:43pm

Carolee was excellent last night. I really love her as a performer and her voice NEVER disappoints. But, her best role to date is still PARADE. I could listen to that cast recording over and over.

WhizzerMarvin
#48Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:44pm

Ljay- I think little sally was directing that comment at dexter and not you, but I could be wrong!

You are right that these threads sometimes set the tone, but the first preview also sets the tone for the run as well. Few shows have a creative team as Verge or Motherfvcker With a Hat who are willing to make massive changes during previews.

Dexter- where were you when I posted thoughts after The Heiress, which I loved?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#49Scandalous Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 8:48pm

Nope, Whizzer, you're right. Wasn't directed towards ljay at all.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.