pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 111

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#2750Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 7:45pm

What the devil is that oddball Adam Guettel and Meryl duet from? It looks ridiculous, but intriguing. I wouldn't say Meryl's singing was particularly impressive in that clip, but, man, what a voice Adam Guettel has.

Don't think I've seen this mentioned on here:

Stephen Sondheim, Bernadette Peters, Joanna Gleason, and More to Take Part in Into the Woods Reunion in CA

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#2751Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 7:47pm

^^What I mean is that it's still tragic and heartbreaking for Rapunzel. She is stuck in a loveless, unhappy marriage while her mind has gone crazy. For the Witch, SURE it's sad for her to see her child die in front of her eyes, BUT it would mean that the Witch was right about her view of the world. In the film version it's tragic for the Witch as well because she was very WRONG about her warning to Rapunzel and she will never see her again.

Updated On: 9/10/14 at 07:47 PM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2752Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 7:56pm

I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm just saying it's not as powerful. We also have to remember that neither Rapunzel or the Witch know that the Prince isn't faithful. Heck, is he even unfaithful in this version? Agony reprise got cut, right? That changes things a bit.

"and she will never see her again"

Well, technically, Rapunzel could always decide to forgive her mother and return to her. Not being mangled to bits sort of opens up her options...lol

Musical Master
#2753Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 8:00pm

^Despite the cutting of the reprise of "Agony", it's still rather implied that both Princes were very unfaithful.

After years of being in that tower, I will never believe that Rapunzel could EVER forgive the Witch. Just sayin!

Updated On: 9/10/14 at 08:00 PM

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#2754Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/10/14 at 8:04pm

I think deep down Rapunzel knew the Witch loved her. The Witch reminds me of Mama Rose. She wasn't a bad mother, just very very misguided. Like the Witch says, "I was just trying to be a good mother".

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#2755Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/11/14 at 11:39am

Actually I realized something else about this change that makes it "better" than the original...

I think it is far more interesting if the son that is second in line, and will likely never be king, is kind, sincere, gentle and faithful.

While the one who, let's face it, is probably king at the end of the show/movie...is charming, not sincere.

Sort of like Faramir being able to release the ring, when Boromir couldn't...having the "lesser" brother be the "better" person makes both characters more interesting.

Imagine "Agony" sung where one brother is only after the chase, while the other is truly in love.

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...

Showface
#2756Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/14/14 at 6:51pm

" Like the Witch says, "I was just trying to be a good mother"."

I hope that in the movie...this line isn't as funny as when Bernadette did it. The line should be more emotional in my opinion. And yes, those clips of Meryl singing were/are wonderful. Those were from "The Music of Regret" in 2006.

Here's another clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMRN9-I0izE

And here's her doing great character/singing/voice work during her Mother Courage role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v41ZKhrPInA

I cannot wait to see the film...especially the Children Will Listen (looks beautiful in the script) and Last Midnight (the ending of that song looks epic in the script)

pli1018
#2757Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/14/14 at 10:07pm

^Don't get too invested in the screenplay's versions of those two songs.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2758Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 12:54pm

Into the Woods Movie Cast

Here's the official, non-teaser poster with Meryl and some bankable names across the top.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2759Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 12:55pm

And a PG rating from the MPAA.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2760Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 12:56pm

I totally love it!

Musical Master
#2761Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 1:05pm

Wow! That is one beautiful poster. Much better than the ones we got for NINE.

The PG rating was inevitable.

beautywickedlover
#2762Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 3:46pm

Wow, that looks stunning! Very well-done Disney!

jimmycurry01
#2763Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 4:33pm

Very cool poster. I love it.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2764Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 4:35pm

Disney's great at designing their posters! Into the Woods Movie Cast I just wish the cast names on top weren't stretched like that. Blech.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#2765Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 4:51pm

I don't like the tagline. Why didn't they use the actual line from "Children Will Listen"?

Careful the wish you make

It means the same thing but worded differently. The phrase "Be careful what you wish for" is too cliche, not to mention it ends in a preposition.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 9/16/14 at 04:51 PM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#2766Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 4:51pm

Double post

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 9/16/14 at 04:51 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2767Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 4:54pm

I agree with "Careful the wish you make."

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#2768Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:05pm

Perhaps because as lovely a lyric as it is, it isn't really a proper sentence? At least not in modern english.

I do agree that "Be Careful What You Wish For" is cliche though, and that they should have gone for something else. A lyric from the show would have been lovely, I just don't think it should have been that one.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#2769Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:10pm

I would have liked, "careful the tales you tell" or something along those lines. I like the poster, kind of annoyed it's just Streep but the artwork is beautiful.

Starship
#2770Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:13pm

Does anybody know why Johnny Depp's name is followed by his role in the movie? I'm curious. I thought that he was in the film, but all done up in CGI. I could be wrong though. Is he just voicing the role?

As for the tagline, it's cheesy and cliche, but it works for me and probably will for a majority of the audience. It was also probably favored over other quotes as it's an old and very familiar quote associated with fairytales. "Careful the wish you make" doesn't sound right out of the context of the song.

I'm glad the poster isn't the typical Disney live action poster (Oz, Maleficent, Alice in Wonderland). Those just end up looking cluttered. I'm sure there'll be another poster soon, however, with more characters on it. Disney usually pumps out several variations of the posters as the film's release date approaches.
Updated On: 9/16/14 at 05:13 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2771Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:16pm

I find the poster fascinating, personally. Disney has chosen artwork that doesn't really "go with" a PG rated film and has the potential to scare away kids and adults thinking of taking their kids. It almost has an 80's horror vibe to it, but absolutely nothing that says it's a musical and nothing saying they want younger audiences besides the "Disney" name.

pli1018
#2772Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:27pm

"Does anybody know why Johnny Depp's name is followed by his role in the movie? I'm curious. I thought that he was in the film, but all done up in CGI. I could be wrong though. Is he just voicing the role? "

No. He is physically in the film with minor CG-flourishes.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2773Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 5:57pm

I think it stands out, especially with how boring some of these posters tend to be. I couldn't agree more with StageManager2 and others re "careful the wish you make," that'd have been haunting and unique.
Depp's role is mentioned because he is being featured almost as a special guest. It's a billing thing. It's fairly common when you have a big star who is billed "above the title" in the poster (especially over other people who'll have more scenes than him but aren't billed, like Tracey Ullman or Christine Baranski) and who has a relatively small role (in the case of Depp, I assume it's one or two scenes) to be billed with the added "as" and then the role they are playing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2774Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 9/16/14 at 7:23pm

Love it!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!