pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 172

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4275Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 6:54pm

Add me to the list of people who absolutely loved this film.

If I had to give it one (minor) criticism, it's the opposite of what I find in most movie musicals, which more often feel ponderous with deadly slow pacing. I felt "Into the Woods" clipped along at such a breathless pace with clockwork timing that I didn't have time to catch my breath or ponder some of the wonderful sentiments, ideas, and weighty lessons learned before I was hurled into the next "moment" in the woods.

This is not a bad thing at all, just that I wanted small "breaths" to ponder. No big deal. I did my pondering after the film.

I'm still pondering.

Don't get me wrong, I know this show. I saw the original, the LA Cast, and many productions from high school to college, etc. since.

But today, I felt I was seeing it with fresh eyes because of the new medium. The film captures so many subtleties that resonate long after they are experienced in the movie theatre.

The acting is uniformly excellent and so is the singing, particularly for the specific characters. There was not a weak link in this large ensemble cast, and I also felt a true sense of ensemble (no real leads popping out here). That's a good thing. The story doesn't need to have leads. It's about a community of people (in a fairy tale world) coming together to face their fears and dreams in the woods.

The highlights for me were many, and I don't understand the criticisms about certain characters or portrayals of characters. I loved everyone from the Witch to the Steward and all roles in between. Distinctive transitions in Little Red, Cinderella, and the chemistry between Blunt and Corden was pure magic.

I was choked up a few times unexpectedly. Even minor, random things, like when Jack hugs his cow after he trades her away and lets out a tearful sob. It choked me up! Cinderella at her mother's grave was also very touching. But the moment where I let the tears go was when Blunt sang the reprise of No One Is Alone while Corden held the baby. Her voice is so moving, not showy but REAL. It has such truth and depth in it. THAT's a singer to me. A perfect singer. Not someone who can belt a high Q above Z. Who the frig cares? That's gymnastics, not singing. Emily Blunt is a singer. She may not call herself one, but she's got the goods.

Other brilliant moments: Steps of the Palace, Agony, The Last Midnight, Stay With Me, It Takes Two ... and so many acting moments ... I loved the stepsisters' schtick, and I loved Tracey Ullmann's careworn mother. I loved the hopeful confidence of Jack and Little Red, and seeing them change in the second half (Jack devolves into defensive bewilderment and Little Red adopts a bitter edge).

I also loved how seamlessly the music and dialogue flowed together. I know how hard Sondheim and Lapine worked on that for the stage, but with the "buttons" at the end of several songs missing and the immediate segues back into spoken dialogue (along with the absence of audiences applauding) kept things flowing so that I barely noticed a song had finished and dialogue began or vice versa.

And I thought the staging of the numbers was brilliant. Choreography that didn't feel "danced" and evolved out of the situations and props and settings and felt as organic as the songs did.

I"m going back again to the woods. More pondering, more moments to explore, more subtleties to pick up. Can't wait.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/25/14 at 06:54 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4276Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:04pm

Did anyone catch the A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC diddies in the movie??? Makes me wonder if that was Rob Marshall's doing, hinting that was a Sondheim movie he would love to work on...

SPOILERS

The first time we see the castle on the first night of the festival (as the Baker narrates), the dance music at the festival can be heard and it's "Night Waltz."

When Jack is asleep with harp right before his mother finds him ("You've stolen too much"), the harp is playing "You Must Meet My Wife."

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#4277Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:15pm

Just got home from seeing the film. A very crowded theater, and a very tepid response. A few laughs here and there, but ultimately the audience was not enchanted.

I know I'm in the minority on this board, but I just didn't get it. It wasn't a bad film, per se. But I did not fall in love. I felt like Meryl was doing the same deliver and wink line readings she has been doing for a decade now. I wanted to love her in this, but it was her same old shtick even when accompanied by the score.

Having said that, I loved Emily Blunt. Such a charismatic and talented woman. She deserves to have the wonderful career that has eluded her for whatever reason.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4278Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:17pm

. But the moment where I let the tears go was when Blunt sang the reprise of No One Is Alone while Corden held the baby. Her voice is so moving, not showy but REAL. It has such truth and depth in it.

Yup. One of the best moments in the film.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4279Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:19pm

I'll just say my only problem with this film was the condensed "second act". I think way too much was cut from it and it just felt rushed and the payoff wasn't as meaningful as I think it could have/should have been. But I'm going back again tomorrow and maybe I'll see it differently. Other than that though, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4280Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:22pm

But I'm going back again tomorrow and maybe I'll see it differently.

^ This happened to me. When I saw it last week I thought "act two" felt abrupt/rushed. When I saw it again today, I absolutely loved it, and preferred it to "act one."

Updated On: 12/25/14 at 07:22 PM

Showface
#4281Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:29pm

Was anybody else very amused when Streep swung from the tree upside down like a bat?

I actually like I Know Things Now....it wasn't meant to be a flashback I don't think...I think what we saw is the nightmare Red was living as she re-told and exaggerated the story to the Baker. Hence the exaggerated wolf shadow on the curtains and what not.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#4282Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:34pm

Was anybody else very amused when Streep swung from the tree upside down like a bat?

Love that a few of the visual effects/designs/stagings were reminiscent of the Hudson Talbott book which I love so much! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q64mbyjOIjQ/U6VbaoNMvPI/AAAAAAAAUZo/UoezmAT6_uM/s1600/SmWoods18.jpeg

indytallguy
#4283Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:37pm

"I felt like Meryl was doing the same deliver and wink line readings she has been doing for a decade now. I wanted to love her in this, but it was her same old shtick even when accompanied by the score."

I vehemently disagree with this.

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#4284Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:42pm

And that's fine.

Showface
#4285Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 7:48pm

"I felt like Meryl was doing the same deliver and wink line readings she has been doing for a decade now. I wanted to love her in this, but it was her same old shtick even when accompanied by the score."

I respectfully disagree as well, but hey, that's what different opinions are for! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

I thought that her performance was heartbreaking and beautiful. She had some subtle moments, as well as big, tour de force ones. For example, the love she brought to her daughter. When the Witch cut Rapunzel's hair, it obviously hurt the Witch to do this. Then, later, when she finds out her wish has been crushed (wrong ingredients), she has tears forming in her eyes as she sits to herself, because she only wanted her beauty back so she could win her daughter back. Her transformation and the contrast between her two selves was breathtaking. Then, in Last Midnight, her voice boomed through the speakers in her mental breakdown and exit from the world. I also appreciated how she sang the first part of the Lament live, and her entire rap was live too.

Bravo Ms Streep!

Updated On: 12/25/14 at 07:48 PM

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#4286Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 8:50pm

ok i have now seen it 2 times plus the last 15 minutes again and i love the pace of the movie from beginning to end...i have now seen it with 3 different crowds and all three including the sold out crowd that i could not originally get in with loved it...applause and tears throughout the audiences...not an imperfect moment in my opinion...it is everything i had hopped for and wished for in this musical movie...it also transcends the stage show in my humble opinion...and i love the stage show...i know i go on but i feel blessed to have lived this life to see this movie get made...

and to those who were not impressed...i say whatever...it obviously was not made for you...

Hagenisnotakitty Profile Photo
Hagenisnotakitty
#4287Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 8:51pm

Just got back from seeing it. Dear God, I had no idea THAT MANY theatre geeks lived near me--the place was jam-packed when I came and when I left.

Upon viewing the thing, I can really understand the "good-not-great" reaction coming from it. The first act was HOLY MOTHERFRICKING FRICK OF ALMIGHTY SAVIORS amazing. From the performances to the script changes to the cinematography, EVERYTHING came together beautifully and enhanced the piece like clockwork. However, as has been said before, the transition to act two was really sudden, and the last half did seem very rushed. Keep in mind I am a HUGE Sondheim geek and this is my absolute favorite musical--but act two seemed super tacked-on and forced...and even to me, the songs did start to all sound alike (This could have been due to the redundant visuals during this time--it was just dark blue for nearly fifty minutes. Things felt claustrophobic after a while, and not in a beneficial way).

Still, I think part of my disappointment was because of my familiarity with the show. I saw it with two people who'd never seen the stage production, and they were completely enchanted.

RANDOM THOUGHTS/NITPICKS:

-Looking back, I think that the Rapunzel/Witch confrontation should have been moved to right after the wedding. With act two condensed so much, the Witch's depression barely had any time to settle in. She loses Rapunzel, and in the very next scene she's all "Last Midnight".

-Even though "Last Midnight" came at a really awkward time, that didn't hinder the power of the song and performance. Not only did Streep KICK THIS SONG IN THE FACE, the overall filmmaking that went into that scene was perfect. It also really slowed down the fast pace, which was good. Act two was really lacking in the creative cinematography from the first act, but this was an exception.

-Since the "Agony" Reprise was cut (a decision I had originally thought beneficial), the Prince's seduction of the Baker's Wife really came out of nowhere.

-Anna Kendrick was a mixed bag, and she was pretty much the weakest link (I rather liked Johnny Depp, whose portrayal was still very pedophile-esque, but in a more modern "creepy guy with candy" way). She was mostly fine, occasionally brilliant, but her delivery of "there are times I actually enjoy cleaning" was cringe-worthy.

-This may have been because of ratings, but nobody in this movie wanted to outright say "Your granny/mother/wife is DEAD", always "She didn't make it", "I couldn't find her anywhere", or the simple "I'm sorry". It didn't sound like a subtler transition to film, it felt like they were trying REALL REALLY hard not to acknowledge any of the obvious darkness. Even my two friends thought it was weird. We don't see Jack's mother die, just the Bakers fanning her as she makes them promise to protect Jack, then we cut away. Later, the Baker just kind of randomly tells Jack that she was killed. A huge nitpick, I know...but still odd.

Showface
#4288Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 8:59pm

Though I don't think Rapunzel's new end affected the Witch's arch (Mauzy and Streep acted that scene beautifully), I do wish the Witch's depression were allowed to sink in more. If I had one nitpick, that would be it, Streep kind of seemed to be pushed to the side for a little bit at the end,

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#4289Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 9:54pm

Just got back as well, really enjoyed the movie but think that the tonal shift would have worked a lot better if they'd kept in "So Happy", the song that opens the second act. We never see the characters living in their new lives so it's hard to think how cinderella could have known that she wasn't happy being a princess,etc. they could have had the wedding, shown the beanstalk growing, and then moved into "So Happy" and started the second half from there. I think that would have greatly smoothed things out.

Showface
#4290Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 10:18pm

For some reason, I had no issue with the tonal shift. I actually didn't notice it that much. To me, it all felt like one fluid story. Which is strange because I was fully expecting to have some issues with the tonal shift.

When I see it again, I will need to approach it like a new story and it's own movie. I approached it today as a fan of the musical who has followed the film very closely. I was pleased. The tone is very different from the stage show. This is fast paced and little moments go by fast. When I see it again, I will pay attention more closely to the little moments. Frankly, this also happened when I first viewed the PBS recording. With each trip in the woods, you get something more. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#4291Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 10:22pm

Saw the movie tonight, thought it was AWESOME. The cast was excellent, the songs were well done, the sets and costumes were fantastic and fitting.

Theater was probably about 85% full, the audience wasn't very responsive but there was laughter, especially during "Agony".

Some idiot brought a baby who started crying before the movie startedI thoug . I don't know what happened to them, but that was kind of irritating.

I saw about half a dozen children under the age of 10 there.

I'd give it about a 97/100. A few quibbles:

We hear the Baker narrating Rapunzel's story, which technically he shouldn't even know given that he never meets either Rapunzel or her prince. His wife knows there's a chick named Rapunzel in a tower who is visited by the witch, but as he narrates the story he talks like he knows Rapunzel is the baby the witch raised - and hence his sister - and there's no way for him to know that.

I wonder why 'No More' was cut. The whole sequence where the Baker doubts himself and then recovers is much too short and feels insignicant. 'No More' would have given it the weight that part of the show needs.

Chris Pine was great, but then we all knew he would be. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread Billy Magnussen was also terrific, and his Prince is so goofy and likable I wish the writers had given him more to do. This prince isn't the arrogant jerk he is in the stage version. I predict a lot of fanfics and Devianart.

I sure wish they'd done something with the final reprise of 'Into the Woods' besides run it over the credits. In my theater everybody was up, putting on their coats, and leaving the theater while it was playing, so just about nobody was paying attention to it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4292Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 10:27pm

sure wish they'd done something with the final reprise of 'Into the Woods' besides run it over the credits. In my theater everybody was up, putting on their coats, and leaving the theater while it was playing, so just about nobody was paying attention to it.

This bothered me too, but it's inevitable. Nobody stays for credits. It also would have been too hokey if they showed the cast singing the reprise, especially after the dark and emotional ending.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4293Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 10:28pm

When Meryl started to sing "Children Will Listen", a good part of the theater I was in broke into laughter. Did that happen to anyone else? I thought it was just SO strange.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4294Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 10:59pm

Just got back from seeing it again, and loved it even more tonight !! Meryl's " The Last Midnight" is worth the price of admission !!!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#4295Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 11:01pm

duplicate post below Updated On: 12/25/14 at 11:01 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#4296Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 11:01pm

Floored.

I did not expect to like this movie very much and loved it.

Even the changes I scoffed at - no more "no More" are you &*)(ing kidding me? - worked so seamlessly in the movie, which, more surprisingly, remains completely thematically true to the core of the musical. I have nothing but admiration for everyone involved.

This is that rare thing, a superbly directed and edited movie musical.

Almost every single moment is impeccably connected to every other.
The humor and the pathos of the libretto come through better than I ever expected.

I see no weak link in the cast. Ok, Depp does exactly what one might expect Depp would do, but I'm fine with that.
Emily Blunt and James Corden have the timing, chemistry and perfectly calibrated light touch necessary to make the Bakers come to complete, brilliant life on screen.
Not enough good words can be said about Kendrick.
Streep is in fine voice, never even a tad too bitchy and great glamorous fun.
Ullman, whom I love but was afraid would overdo Jack's Mom, hits every mark. Huttlestone is a charmer, and Crawford for me made no false move and every funny, greedy and wise moment - all you really need for the third act to work as well as it does is her fears that she's done wrong and Kendrick's resultant well-matched caregiving - lands.

And, perhaps the happiest surprise of all, Pine and Magnussen give new freshness to the Princely lampoons.

Not a single complaint about anyone's singing.

And, let me end with another note of utter praise for Blunt. I couldn't agree more with those who've remarked how emotionally powerful the last moments of her performance are. I too was in tears.

Updated On: 12/26/14 at 11:01 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4297Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 11:06pm

Even the changes I scoffed at - no more "no More" are you &*)(ing kidding me? - worked so seamlessly in the movie, which, more surprisingly, remains completely thematically true to the core of the musical.

This. On a second viewing, I was really impressed and taken by the instrumental/spoken "No More." It made me emotional. It's extremely true to the tone and theme of the song.

Len6677
#4298Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 11:12pm

I won't have the opportunity to see it until Saturday because of family commitments, but God, after reading all of this I am champing at the bit even more than I was before. It's so wonderful to read these posts.

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#4299Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/25/14 at 11:15pm

I just got home from seeing it and I must say I am rather shocked at the love for this film.

The Good:

- James Corden was great as the Baker. He outshined Emily Blunt by miles. Not sure how she got nominated for a golden globe. Actually I do because the category is completely barren.

- Lilla Crawford was fantastic. One of the more solid performances.

- Christ Pine was good. Definitely didn't steal the show though and Agony is overhyped, but he was serviceable. His voice is spectacular.

The Bad:

"Hello little girl". What was that? It looked like Rob Marshall had no idea what do with that scene. It really just did not work on film. I'm also confused as to what exactly Johnny Depp was? Was he a wolf? Was he a man wolf? Why does a wolf have a suit on? The whole scene just made absolutely no sense. My audience burst out laughing during the song and I had no idea why. Also, Johnny Depp needs to stop being in musicals.

"I know things now". Didn't work. Completely stopped the pacing and was so awkward. I wish they had just cut it but then of course the theatre queens would have gone Ape sht. Lilla did great in it though and she tried her best, the song just didn't work where it was at and probably wouldn't have worked in any other place.

- Daniel Huttlestone. The kid needs to take acting lessons. But I could understand him in this movie so at least there is some progress. He wasn't downright bad, but he was very weak and the other actors carried him.

- The Witch's character arc. I rolled my eyes during her little lament (way to half ass the end, Streep). So let's see, Rapunzel rides off with her prince and never wants to see the witch again. Cool. That's fine. That worked. But THEN Witch sings this little song about how children don't listen. It completely fell flat. If you don't know the musical then it probably seemed fine, but at that moment in the movie I completely lost all interest for the Witch.

- "Last Midnight". There really was no reason for her sing this song. It made no sense. Streep sounded great on it though.

- The Baker's wife infidelity. Yes we get it Disney, you want kids to come see this so only light kissing can be seen. Lord it's almost like her adultery didn't even matter. I mean all she did was make out with the prince for 10 minutes. This big moment just seemed so small. And the way they handled her Death was laughable. It was almost as bad as Marion Cotillard's death in Dark knight rises.

- MISSED BEATS! That's the biggie. So many missed emotional beats in this film. Maybe it had to do with the crap opening to the 2nd act. I was laughing (but crying on the inside) when Cinderella gets told by the birds that her Prince has cheated. It's like she didn't even care. "Oh that doesn't matter now". It's like she just got told that the sky is blue.

There was just no weight to this film. The Witch's arc wasn't handled properly. Nothing sank in.

- "No one is alone" a complete miss.

The main problem I found with the film is that it felt so shallow. It was almost like nothing mattered in the 2nd half of the film. All the beats were rushed, poignancy of lines were completely missed. I mean, "No one is alone" is suppose to be that that 11 o clock number that just hits you in the heart. I felt nothing. People around me kept looking at their watches. The song lost all it's poison.

In all I don't think it's a bad film and if you don't know the musical that well then you will like it a lot more. I just found most of it shallow and missing the mark. Not all was bad, Agony was funny and blunt and James had good chemistry. She doesn't hold even half a candle to Joanna Gleason but then again no one really does. I give this film 6/10

Updated On: 12/25/14 at 11:15 PM

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!