pixeltracker

Les Misérables: So, what did you think?- Page 11

Les Misérables: So, what did you think?

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#250Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 2:07am

I can see people having trouble coming up with a way to label the student cause in a concise manner, but do people really not at all get what they're fighting for?

It is only mentioned repeatedly that General Lamarque--the last man in the government to give a rat's ass about the plight of the poor--is deathly ill and, as Marius notes, "fading fast."

The impoverishment of the city has gotten out of control thanks to a corrupt, uncaring government and once Lamarque passes on, so will their last shred of hope. This is why upon notice of his death, Enjolras and his followers take to the streets handing out flyers that detail their cause and hope to rally civilian support in what they feel will culminate in an insurrection by the people against the government that they hope to overthrow.

Like I said, I understand not getting exactly what I detailed above from a single viewing of a version of the musical, but most know it is a fight for freedom and justice from a corrupt ruler by civilians that is initiated by idealistic students of a local university.

At bare minimum, the vast majority of audiences do seem to get that it's a fight on behalf of the impoverished, who are the victims of corruption. That's what I understood from it when I saw it for the first time at age 11.

It is based on an actual June rebellion that took place in France, and it is not the French Revolution.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 02:07 AM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#251Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 2:17am

It is based on an actual June rebellion that took place in France, and it is not the French Revolution.

Right you are, but in the film Enjolras for whatever reason shouts to the soldiers from the barricade something about it being "the French revolution," which I thought was just gonna confuse people even more. haha

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 02:17 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#252Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 2:25am

I am going to give the film a second viewing this weekend. My biggest problem with the film was that it lacked that "epic" feel I was expecting. I thought the orchestrations were WAY too quiet. I still can't get over that. This is an epic musical with a lush score, the music in the film lacked that epic touch and excitement because of how quiet the orchestrations were. That was definitely my biggest problem with the film - the lack of epicness in many aspects of the film.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#253Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 2:58am

I truly think that this film has a shot at Best Picture. I could not have imagined it any other way.

I think that Russell Crowe was perfect for Javert, but only if it were a non-singing adaptation. He didn't have a horrible voice, but it sounded as if the voice was not coming from his throat.

Anne Hathaway was perfect. Utterly perfect and heartbreaking. Having seen Sally Field in "Lincoln," her main competition, I think Anne should have it in the bag. Perfect.

I really think more accolades and recognition should be given to Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit, and Samantha Barks. Tviet had the best voice out of any males, and Barks was a great Eponine. Minor thing: I really just wanted Barks to belt out "'One more day all on my own" - forget this "truthful vocals" nonsense for a moment.

I never usually like Sacha Baron Cohen or Helena Bonham Carter, but they were great for the role and I was very happy to be pleasantly surprised by them.

Hugh Jackman was great, for sure a lock for a Best Actor nomination, but I did not like his "Bring Him Home" or his insane vibrato. "Bring Him Home" was very brassy and belty, but out of place to me. I guess he just didn't have the falsetto range.

I think that Amanda Seyfried was a perfect Cosette. Cosette is not some difficult acting role, nor is it a showy/brassy role. Compared to Fantine and Eponine, she is supposed to be demure. I did not mind the vibrato and actually liked that her voice was a little quieter.

I loved the orchestrations and thought that all of the musical arrangements were great. I think the live vocals did not make a massive difference, but it did seem more real than the vocals on "Glee" or even in films like "Rock of Ages." I think this film is likely to win sound editing and mixing awards. Visually, I thought the film was stunning, and the many close-ups were not nearly as annoying as others made them seem. But could there have been more wide shots? Sure.

Is this eligible for Adapted Screenplay? There isn't much dialogue, but all of the cuts and rearrangements were perfect.

Overall, my qualms are minimal. This film was sheer brilliance, and I hope this leads to more movie musicals. Maybe we can get Spielberg to direct "Miss Saigon"?

Oscar Likeliness
Should Win: Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Supporting Actress, Best Score
Nominations: Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor (Redmayne), Art Direction, Song, Costume Design, Makeup, Director, Adapted Screenplay.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#254Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 3:22am

You need to remember: when the students began this squirmish, they believed it would be THE French Revolution. They could not know that it would be over nary before it began. (And of course, they could not know there would be something that would be called The French Revolution.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

StageManager2
#255Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 3:35am

(And of course, they could not know there would be something that would be called The French Revolution.)

Why not? The June Rebellion occurred 40 years after the so-called French Revolution. Or is "French Revolution" a recent term for 1789-1799 upheaval?

At any rate, the filmmakers could've had Marius yell out something else, or simply "Revolution!" To most people, "French Revolution" is the Bastille, Marie Antoinette, and guillotines.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#256Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 3:38am

Valjean makes his money coming up w a method of creating cheap decorative elements for clothing- buckles & "jet" beads & jade and manufacturing same using the sale of the Bishop's silver to "start up". I *think* he learned the trick from another prisoner.

I wondered about that scene in the factory making rosaries- usually nuns and sometimes monks created those for their orders to sell but then u lose those bits o bizness like thrusting a crucifix in peoples faces or dropping them into their hands.

Women- cant really remember any specific but it's been a while since I read the book and I dimly recall some character- a widow? But then Valjean & Cosette run away to Paris but in the book HE becomes the gardener at the convent Cosette attends.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#257Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 4:26am

"Right you are, but in the film Enjolras for whatever reason shouts to the soldiers from the barricade something about it being "the French revolution," which I thought was just gonna confuse people even more. haha"

Really? Interesting.

Technically, the June, 1832 rebellion was A French revolution but I don't know why they'd specifically call it that in the film as it is misleading enough without actually misleading. You throw in a deliberate misleading line, and now nobody can be blamed for thinking it's THAT French Revolution.

Not that I ever really blamed people for thinking that. It's totally understandable to assume it's that revolution of nearly half a century earlier. Ok, so most people stink when it comes to dates. Big deal, hehe. I'm not one to crucify the masses over stuff like that. It always got on my nerves how people in the fandom would flip out every time someone claimed Les Mis is set during THAT French Revolution. That and any hint of love toward Eponine twisted lots of fans' panties. It's somewhat different these days and not as ridiculous, but it remains. Haha.

I used to announce that I LOVE Eponine and that I could totally relate to her just to see the up-in-arms reaction and usual interrogation of, "so you have rotting teeth, are crazy, and want Marius killed, and are a ho, and...", LOL.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#258Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 5:18am

I wish this film would just go away already.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#259Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:25am

Oops....sorry for my stupidity, history has never been a strong point -- and I almost double checked the dates before I hit post. I should listen to that voice in my head.

So, Chewy, if you want the film to go away why open the threads?(and I don't disagree there are about 10x more threads then there need be)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#260Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:29am

There can never be too many Les Miserables threads. The world needs that right now.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#261Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:43am

But I need to let people know that the world would be a better place if they were to just shut up.

CarlosAlberto
#262Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:46am

^^ LOL!!! This one made my day!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#263Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 7:49am

I think we should make one more thread called "List Your Favorite Les Miz Threads," but make sure people know they can only post their top 20.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CarlosAlberto
#264Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:01am

LOL @ besty...you're capping it at 20? Surely you jest!!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#265Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:13am

I saw the film on Christmas Day and was blown away. I loved the added touched from the novel and the "live" singing. Hugh and Anne deserve every award they can get for their performances. I can not say enough great things about the movie version of my favorite musical/novel.

Now... I found this on Yahoo! and thought it was very interesting.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/les-miserables-five-film-facts-233312884.html?page=1

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

michellek45
#266Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 9:32am

If I recall correctly, Enjolras yells "French Revolution!" to the soldiers in the book as well. For a team that seems to have meticulously gone through the source material, it wouldn't be strange for them to have included it. Also, I think there is some validity in questioning when the term was coined. Would people in France in 1832 have considered 1789 THE definitive French Revolution since it didn't really change things for them, but looking back in a historical context it was incredibly important? Or Enjolras could just be trying to draw a connection between their little rebellion and the big revolution of 1789.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#267Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:02am

Not sure about the terminology. But all of Europe and its colonies (think Bolivar, Juarez) reeled in the wake of the Revolution of 1789, the birth of modern non-monarchical administration, the end of the ancien regime and the spread of revolutionary politics from it changed the entire face of the globe forever. The fact that it didn't sufficiently change the conditions of the poor is a process of disillusion with the government, and still continues to this day. But in no way changes the public perception of the importance of 1789 around the world. See A Tale of Two Cities, The Scarlet Pimpernel, War and Peace (1812, but shows the way Europe reacted by processes of appeasement and opposition to Napoleon and republicanism on the one hand and the Emperors of Russia and Austria on the other), Voltaire, The Red and the Black. Even Lady Bracknell's one-liners much later.

I think it is more likely that Enjolras refers to "French Revolution" as a rallying cry to maintain the revolutionary zeal of 1789, to remember the cause and the historical continuity of it as it applies to those who have been let down by its execution. Moreover, by the time of Les Mis, the monarchy had been restored.

In fact, as I recall, the original French concert title of Les Mis was "The French Revolution".

The fact that people will be confused by the use of this phrase is a dramaturgical concern of course. One apparently the creators took a calculated risk with. For Hugo, of course, it was much less so as his readers were likely to understand the historical differential between 1789 and the action of the novel.

Updated On: 12/28/12 at 10:02 AM

CarlosAlberto
#268Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:26am

It may not be "THE" French Revolution, but can we all agree that it WAS a revolution and they WERE french hence it WAS a french revolution and just stop the nit-picking.

(Nah, who am I kidding, they're gonna keep picking at that scab till it bleeds to death...)

Updated On: 12/28/12 at 10:26 AM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#269Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:48am

Of course. But the question is not really nit-picky but rather addresses the confusion many have with the setting of Les Mis.

CarlosAlberto
#270Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:51am

^ Fair enough.

StageManager2
#271Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:52am

But all of Europe and its colonies (think Washington and Bolivar) reeled in the wake of the Revolution of 1789,

The French Revolution came after the American Revolution. In fact, the French were inspired in part by the Americans to revolt.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 10:52 AM

The Other One
#272Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:01am

@Brave Sir Robin: It can't win Best Score. Only scores written directly for the screen are eligible for that award.

The new song is eligible for Best Song. I doubt anyone thinks it's deserving, but it is eligible.

SporkGoddess
#273Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:05am

"I havn't read the book but does/did Jean Valjean ever have any female company? And maybe the book explains how he got to be mayor,owned a factory--there seemed to be so many gaps-also with the students-I never questioned this with the stage show-maybe a movie is more 'in your face' and the gaps more obvious[to me]-maybe I SHOULD read the book."

The book is 1500 pages. Of course it explains all of this. Les Mis is my favorite book ever and I've read it numerous times, but even I understand that they had to cut out a lot (even accounting for Hugo's 40 page diatribe about Napoleon and 50 page detailing of the Paris sewer systems). And I highly recommend reading it--I love the Les Mis musical, but IMO it can never come close to the novel. The novel is a masterpiece.

Anyway, I am finally seeing the movie this afternoon, so I'll be back later to post my thoughts. I'll try not to go on a psychotic rant about Amanda Seyfried.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 11:05 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#274Les Miserables: So, what did you think?
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:40am

Anyway, I am finally seeing the movie this afternoon, so I'll be back later to post my thoughts. I'll try not to go on a psychotic rant about Amanda Seyfried.

You already know you'll do that before you even see it?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22