pixeltracker

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.- Page 19

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.

April Saul
#450CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 1:00am

I can't imagine you'd want to be in the rear mezzanine for this show, unless you want to sit there like I did, squint hard, and wonder (for the first few minutes or at least until she started singing) whether Victoria Clark was the stepmother or the fairy godmother! Just too far away...

It WAS hard to find empty seats to move closer to tonight, the place was nearly full. As far as TDF, I know this does happen occasionally, but it did annoy me when the guy in the box office tried to convince me that I actually had great seats that normally cost much more. I realize that I was taking a chance but seriously, buddy?

WhatIWasBorn2Do Profile Photo
WhatIWasBorn2Do
#451CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 1:02am

it was equivalent to Annie's deck at the Palace. I sat in the 2nd row there for the lottery. It was WAY too high here. And on top of that couldnt see most of SL. (Main problem being the staircase scenes)

I HIGHLY recommend anyone seeing this production to sit in the mezzanine.

Updated On: 2/14/13 at 01:02 AM

ohjustjake
#452CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 1:29am

Yeah, I sat last row of the front mezzanine and it couldn't have been more perfect. I don't think I'd ever sit further back than that.

beautywickedlover
#453CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 3:13pm

I did not read any of the comments about the previews here because I am waiting for the reviews from the critics. I have seen these photos today and I like what I seeing.

Photo Flash: First Look at RODGERS + HAMMERSTEIN'S CINDERELLA on Broadway! Read more about Photo Flash: First Look at RODGERS + HAMMERSTEIN'S CINDERELLA on Broadway!

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#454CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 3:16pm

I revisited the show last night and there were quite a few changes. In addition to a few cut and trimmed scenes, the cut songs now include:

"I Have Loved and I've Learned"
"I Haven't Got a Worry in the World"
"Your Majesty: Dance"
"Now is the Time (Reprise)"

The show ran a good 2 hours 30 minutes. They could definitely cut another 10 minutes if they shorten a few dances that are lovely, but way too long IMO:

"The Prince Is Giving a Ball"
"Waltz for a Ball"
"The Pursuit"

They also cut the election, which I didn't really mind. If they're going to add that plot line I would rather they carry it out till then end. And it didn't take up that much time since it was in sequence with the slipper search.

Also, Cinderella's first transformation is a little different than I remember. MUCH smoother.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#455CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 3:37pm

There is talks of cutting down a few of the dances.

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#456CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 4:30pm

Does the Step Mother rip up Cinderella's dress? Someone mentioned about her ripping Cinderella's fathers coat, but it the photo of Laura and Vicky, it looks like Cinderella is in a ball dress of some kind.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#457CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 4:39pm

A friend in the cast and I were discussing feedback they were receiving. One of the numerous things that we discussed was that the step mom and sisters weren't mean enough. Anyone that's been able to see the show, what are your thoughts?

ABB2357 Profile Photo
ABB2357
#458CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 5:34pm

Does anyone else think Clark's tiara makes her look like Frank, the rabbit from DONNIE DARKO?

Updated On: 2/14/13 at 05:34 PM

WhatIWasBorn2Do Profile Photo
WhatIWasBorn2Do
#459CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 5:38pm

^^ The Step-family is not very mean AT ALL. In a few songs, Cinderella even joins in on their songs. IMO, they make you feel bad Cinderella because her father died, NOT because she lives with the step family. A lot of the stepsisters lines are *supposed* to be comedic but fall through 9/10 times, receiving only a few chuckles. If they could re work those lines to more directly effect Cinderella, it would be better.

^^^ Yes, the step mother rips the dress. Lets just say the final result of the ripping helps with the theatrical transformation that occurs next. Only because I was sitting so close did I notice it.

^^^^ "The show ran a good 2 hours 30 minutes. They could definitely cut another 10 minutes if they shorten a few dances that are lovely, but way too long"

I agree. The choreography was beautiful, but took up literally almost 10 minutes of instrumental dance sequences during the songs you listed.

Updated On: 2/14/13 at 05:38 PM

After Eight
#460CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 5:42pm

" One of the numerous things that we discussed was that the step mom and sisters weren't mean enough. Anyone that's been able to see the show, what are your thoughts?"

I feel just the opposite with regard to the stepmother. She was as mean as all get out, vicious mean. It was a little disturbing, actually.

As for the stepsisters, one befriended Cinderella, the other was snarky. I don't think Beane was able to present a clear idea of what these two characters were supposed to be.

Interesting to see the cut songs. They were eminently disposable. I can't figure out why they haven't cut the fight with the tree and the prince's very weak opening song.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#461CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 5:52pm

If they've cut "I Have Loved and I've Learned", that means Ms. Harris has not much to sing any more.
Too bad, I think Harriet Harris is amazing. I wish she could get a role worthy of her talent.

Updated On: 2/14/13 at 05:52 PM

nasty_khakis
#462CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 6:21pm

If there's no longer an election, how does the ending work? What is the "villian" after? Does Jean Michelle just want to alert the Prince to the country's problems?

defyingravity11
#463CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 6:59pm

^ Prince Topher announces that an election will be held in a month, nominating both Jean-Michel and Sebastian. We no longer learn who wins. Although the villain is clearly Sebastian, there isn't a definitive resolution.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 2/14/13 at 06:59 PM

TheatreKid3
#464CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 8:15pm

Vicky looks like a pink Maleficent.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#465CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/14/13 at 8:22pm

We thought the step-family wasn't mean enough and I agree with the above poster about cinderella joining them in that one song--it seemed off. Curious how it ends now without the election.

michellek45
#466CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 12:47am

SPOILERS

Gink, I was there tonight, and it just ends with the wedding. The Prince announces the election and the nominees, then Cinderella tries on the slipper and it fits, then he proposes, then they get married, the end. It's a shame that they've put in this ridiculous revolutionary subplot, because I think this could have been a truly magical show with a different "modernization" of the book. I love the idea of having Cinderella be more independent and go her own way, and having the Prince be more of a character than a fantasy, but I don't think the "revolution" was the way to go about doing it. The friendship that developed between Cinderella and Gabrielle would have been a great direction to take the story, but there was too much time wasted on the revolution for it to amount to anything. I think part of the problem is that DCB is just not quite funny enough; some times he gets great laughs, but more often than not it's just a few chuckles.

Some of the musical numbers did end up with that sort of magical, almost fantastical quality, especially "Impossible," "In My Own Little Corner," and "Ten Minutes Ago." Really, these were easily the strong point, all well-staged. There were some beautiful, beautiful moments in the orchestrations especially with the harp and strings, and I greatly appreciated the xylophone parts. The first time the Fairy Godmother flew out on stage was a great moment, helped along a lot by the light design, which I thought really added to the show.

Santino needs to go for it with the awkwardness, because right now he's not charming, but not quite socially inept enough to be endearing. Victoria Clark and the whole step-family gave great performances, but Laura Osnes was the real stand-out. Like someone before me said, she was born to sing these songs, they all sound so lyrical and effortless, like natural extensions of her speaking voice. She really won me over in "Ten Minutes Ago." It starts out with the Prince singing, and I know I was supposed to be focused on him, but I was instantly drawn to her. She has the most perfect expression for someone who has fallen in love and had their dreams come true, and she says it all without a word.

Overall, a strong production in every aspect except the revised book, which isn't weak, but simply falls rather flat and doesn't keep up with the magic of the rest of the show.

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#467CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 1:46am

Saw it tonight, after hearing it really bashed by a respected friend. So we went in with lowered expectations and were pleasantly surprised.

Yes, the economic subplot is weird, but not horrible. I don't miss the stepfamily being mean, I just wish Harriet had funnier lines - some real zingers are needed, especially since she lost a whole song.

The "kindness" bit really falls flat - couldn't Cinderella have come up with a wittier response to the ridicule game? Harder to write, but it would have been much more satisfying.

We thought it was clear that Jean-Michel won the election. He's dressed in a very fancy costume, and Sebastian bows to him.

That said, we thought the show worked, and will do well if the critics don't trash it first. There's magic and sharpness, and some great performances.

I turned to my boyfriend at the end and said, "She's the best of the four Cinderellas." Julie was too high-class, Lesley couldn't sing, and Brandy was, well...Brandy. Laura is sweet without being cloying and has a wonderfully unaffected voice, perfect for the part.

I agree that the orchestrations are great - the opening lines of "Ten Minutes" are wonderfully eerie. ("Waltz for a Ball" was not as lush as I'd like, however.)

Loved the quick costume changes.

Show began at 8:05 and ended at 10:25. You do the math.

Updated On: 2/15/13 at 01:46 AM

degrassifan
#468CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 2:04am

Nooooooo!!!! They cut I Have Loved and I've Learned?? That's the one trunk sing I wanted to hear the most! In fact, I wanted to hear all the trunk songs! I Haven't Got a Worry in the World sounds like a happy song, based on its title. And, I was looking forward to hearing Your Majesty: Dance. I love the music to the original song!

As for the stepfamily being ot that so mean, in all the Cinderella stories that I've seen or read, the R&H version (including all three movies) have the nicest wicked stepfamily. I mean, they even join Cinderella in song & dance during When You're Driving to the Moonlight and A Lovely Night, so I'm not surprised that they aren't that evil.

marknyc Profile Photo
marknyc
#469CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 2:05am

A question: I thought heard some new lyrics (to songs like "The Prince is Giving a Ball"), but was there also some new music that was not from R&H trunk songs? It felt like some numbers had added music.

Updated On: 2/15/13 at 02:05 AM

Cabarob
#470CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 7:39am

Nitpicky question that's been bothering me since the cast list with character names were posted: he's called Prince Topher, but Topher isn't one of the 12 names Hammerstein gave him. Did they change lyrics in "Prince is Giving A Ball" to include Topher in his names or is it explained as some kind of nickname?

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#471CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 7:53am

^ It's short for Christopher

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#472CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 7:54am

Same lyrics...

"His royal highness Christopher Rupert..."

Topher is a nickname for Christopher.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

After Eight
#473CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 7:56am

^

I don't recall it being explained. I assumed it was a nickname for Christopher.

defyingravity11
#474CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/15/13 at 12:42pm

degrassifan, the Your Majesty motif reoccurs throughout, although there isn't really a chance for more than a few bars at a time.