pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?- Page 2

MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?

beautywickedlover
#25MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 3:25pm

"I can totally see Katherine getting Eliza if Smash is cancelled."

Katharine McPhee has worked with Davis before and I do like her, but I am not entirely sure if she could handle the soprano parts of the songs.

"This is one show I never want to see again. It's boring."

I disagree. I find the music absolutely timeless and have always enjoyed the story as well.

"Could anyone see Patrick Stewart as Higgins?"

That would be very good casting.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#26MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 3:51pm

What about Laura Osnes? She seems like a natural for this.

Gothampc
#27MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 3:54pm

Note to Davis: Eliza needs to be a true soprano. Let's not replay the Martine Mccutcheon and Melissa Errico dramas.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#28MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:09pm

I agree that Osnes would be perfect, but she's not a big enough star to sell tickets. Jessie Mueller would also be a charming choice, yet she also won't be able to get butts in the seats.

rorschach37
#29MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:14pm

Kyle Dean Massey as Freddy <3

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#30MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:22pm

If they had a big enough star as Higgins (e.g. Jackman) then they could get a Broadway name as Eliza, the amount of attention the show would get it could be the making of the actress.

There are probably sets from the West End production and subsequent tour so if they could just mount that production they might save some cash. Even though I find the film boring, the West End production was stunning and for me worked better on stage than film

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#31MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:23pm

You need real star quality! Higgins must be a terrific actor and a commanding personality. Eliza must equal him acting-wise and be an exceptional singer. And the audience must be totally in love with both of them. Otherwise, why bother?

Maybe Damian Lewis and Kate Baldwin?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#32MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:24pm

Anthony Warlow played Higgins in Australia and was wonderful.Maybe by 2014 more of America will be aware of him as he was perfect in that role.There is no way that Ann Hathaway has that glorious soprano required for Eliza.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#33MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:24pm

I would personally LOVE to see Kate Baldwin as Eliza, but I've still got my fingers crossed that she'll get to play Anna in the Lincoln Center revival of The King and I.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#34MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:30pm

Kate Baldwin is way too old to play Eliza.

henrikegerman
#35MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:32pm

I'm not entirely convinced she's too old. She's only three years older than Audrey was when she did the movie.

And since she was so successful as Sharon (if anything more of an ingenue than Eliza) only four years ago, why not Eliza now?

Updated On: 2/7/13 at 04:32 PM

givesmevoice
#36MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:33pm

Maybe eperkins meant that Alec Baldwin is too old to play Eliza. Which is true.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Gothampc
#37MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:36pm

John Goodman as Alfred Doolittle

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#38MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:47pm

"Maybe eperkins meant that Alec Baldwin is too old to play Eliza. Which is true."

Yup.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#39MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:50pm

It's unfortunate that Kelli O'Hara is too long in the tooth. Laura Osnes would be a dream as Eliza and I'd love Michael Cerveris as HH but I agree that Clive Davis will only cast the huge names. Will they try to shove ScarJo into yet another Broadway show? Hugh Jackman and/or Anne Hathaway would certainly sell tickets.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

henrikegerman
#40MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:50pm

Alec Baldwin as Higgins isn't nec. a bad idea.

mridley2
#41MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:51pm

Damien Lewis. interesting choice. I'll admit he is very charming and charasmatic on Homeland. And he carried a decent tune with a karaoke version of White Wedding and Homeland Season 2 cast party.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#42MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:53pm

Danny Burstein as Alfred Doolittle

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

givesmevoice
#43MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 4:57pm

Gotham, I'm not sure if you were joking about John Goodman as Alfred Doolittle, but on some level I think that could be brilliant.

OrdinaryJukebox
#44MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:02pm

I do like the Benanti suggestion. Maybe Karen Olivo?

beautywickedlover
#45MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:02pm

Katherine Jenkins, an opera singer, who competed on 'Dancing with the Stars' has an excellent voice for Eliza, but can she act?

Gothampc
#46MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:03pm

"Gotham, I'm not sure if you were joking about John Goodman as Alfred Doolittle, but on some level I think that could be brilliant."

Not joking, I think he would be fine. And remember he was in the original Broadway cast of Big River as Pap, so he has done a musical before.

Plus I think it would appeal to Goodman as Doolittle has two songs "With A Little Bit of Luck" and "Get Me To the Church On Time" The character makes a big impression but doesn't have to work his butt off like Higgins and Eliza.

chrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
#47MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:09pm

OK.....

Not posted for a while. Casting I have had in my head for a LONG long time.... he's already English, and has an attractiveness/charm....

Hugh Laurie. Higgins. Made in heaven.

If you have a Hugh, you can cast Eliza well...... As much as they'd LOVE a name.... surely one of the most successful UK/US exports/well paid stars would be a draw....

and, to chime in on the 'snooze fest'.... I agree, in as much as Oklahoma!, and many other classics cab be described that way. The ticket is to have ELECTRIC performances. Oklahoma! at the National Theatre in London with Hugh Jackman and Josefina Gabrielle was INCREDIBLE!

The right cast can make anything fly! 'My Fair Lady' is a 'star' on it's own merits.

Dave516
#48MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:14pm

Everyone who is suggesting any Broadway or theater stars for any of the leads is crazy. With Davis producing this thing, there is no way that anyone but a bona fide movie star or recording artist will be playing Higgins or Eliza. He's probably already tapped Taylor Swift to play the role.

Gothampc
#49MY FAIR LADY coming back to Broadway in 2014?
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:15pm

Dang Chrissydee beat me too it. I was just thinking Hugh Laurie as Higgins.