pixeltracker

Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#1Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 8:49am

According to Paper Mill website they already have an offer out for Ariel (seeking info on that) and the production will also play at Pittsburgh CLO and Kansas City Starlight Theatre.

Here's the link

Paper Mill Little Mermaid casting Updated On: 2/8/13 at 08:49 AM

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#2Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 10:19am

"NOTE: We encourage performers of all cultural backgrounds to attend."

Yet it's required that Ariel, Eric, Flounder, Grimbsy, Scuttle, be white?

I guess Grimbsy, I'll understand but really? Disney had black Belles.

Zarkana2
#2Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 10:33am

Exactly. And maybe it's just be, but I've always wanted to see how a black Ariel would turn out. I think it could be interesting.

Matteo Profile Photo
Matteo
#3Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 10:36am

I am not 100% sure about this, but I am almost certain one of the understudies for Eric on Broadway was black.... Im not sure why PaperMill isn't allowing this!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 10:47am

Yes.
http://www.playbillvault.com/Person/Detail/103655/Arbender-J-Robinson

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#5Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/8/13 at 12:28pm

I think because the character of Ariel is known for being a redhead the character has to be white. I mean I've seen many clips of productions of BATB and I've seen Belles that are black and white blonde and burnette. Belle doesn't have to be one or the other because she's not known as a white burnette.

Updated On: 2/8/13 at 12:28 PM

PlayItAgain
#6Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:07am

Heidi Blickenstaff is playing Ursula

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:12am

Black women in red hair are gorgeous. No reason there can't be a black Ariel. Or a black Annie.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#8Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 10:32am

PlayItAgain, is it a known fact that Heidi Blickenstaff is playing Ursula or are you pulling my leg?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#9Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 11:48am

Why does Flounder have to be 18-22? Wasn't the Broadway Flounder a kid?

TheGingerBreadMan
#10Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 11:50am

Just looked it up, and sure enough, Flounder was a kid. I wonder why they want an 18-22 year old?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#11Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:04pm

The revised Flounder is a teenager with more blatant sexual tension/crush on Ariel, instead of a cute child sidekick.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#12Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:33pm

I hope its true that Heidi is playing Ursula because one of best decisions made in adapting the stage to Broadway at least initially in its run was to turn Ursula into a belter. It causes her songs to be so haunting and true show stoppers. When I saw Faith Prince's Usuala on the View I remember I was so disappointed because she basically just did the film version of Poor Unfortunate Souls which was basically just spoken through. It was no Act 1 finale, which I know Heidi's Ursula is much closer to Scott's than Prince's especially since she was her replacement and understudy.

I wonder if they are going use "I want the good time back" or "Daddy's little angel"? I love "I want the good times back" because it just showcased Scott's vocal prowess, but I have to admit "Daddy's little angel" actually tell you some plot and backstory of her childhood and how she actually envies ariel, while the former only told you that at her fathers death Triton got the trident and Usual got the shell and tried to take over the sea so she was banned by her brother.

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#13Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:47pm

It's the revised version so they are probably going to use "Daddy's Little Angel" instead of "...Good Times Back"

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#14Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:49pm

Sorry I have to say I hope Chelsea Morgan Stock is NOT Ariel.

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#15Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:49pm

Sorry I have to say I hope Chelsea Morgan Stock is NOT Ariel.

Updated On: 2/9/13 at 12:49 PM

TheGingerBreadMan
#16Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 12:50pm

Thank you for confirming, Darquegk.

I too am excited about Heidi as Ursula. I saw her as Alice in THE ADDAMS FAMILY, and her "Waiting" was wonderful.

Starship
#17Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/9/13 at 2:20pm

If the Heidi rumor is true, she'll be incredible. I mean, listen to this piece of amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFdZkR0cEQM

moym471
#18Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/10/13 at 11:53am

I hope the Heidi rumor is true.. She's fantastic. But don't forget about [title of show] possibly being revived in London with the OBC before the year is over.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#19Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/16/13 at 5:07pm

Here is what I know:

Papermill, Theatre Under the Stars (in Houston), and a few other places are working together on this with Disney. Disney is putting quite a bit of money into it. The casts won't be the same at the different theaters (however, I guess some crossover isn't out of the question). Yet, these theaters will all be using the same physical production (set design, light design, costume design, curtains, etc). Elements of the Broadway production may make it into this version, but everything is being looked over and revised for effectiveness. Everything is being improved or changed. Nothing has been finalized.

PlayItAgain
#20Seeking inside info for The Little Mermaid @ Paper Mill
Posted: 2/17/13 at 12:48am

A North AMerican tour is in the works, thus why this is being done in several different productions.

Videos