Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/10/13 at 11:00pm

Oh child.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#3SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/10/13 at 11:17pm

Let me know when they do MY MOTHER THE CAR: THE MUSICAL.

http://docandraider.com

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#4SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/11/13 at 12:00am

I think we've discussed this before.

I remember speculation that there'd be an injunction against this show because a legitimate musical adaptation was in the works or something like that.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#5SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/11/13 at 7:50am

Strange that for a musical there are no musical numbers shown in the "trailer"...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 8:11am

A mainstream movie website has reviewed the production.
Joblo.com

....but the world goes 'round

Brian07663NJ
#7SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 9:10am

I'm going Sat night April 20 - I'll post a review.

I will admit - I love this trashy movie!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#8SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:59am

I would consider going if you paid me. $500 minimum.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

AnthVoice2010 Profile Photo
AnthVoice2010
#9SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:03am

No wonder Broadway is on a ventilator!

I can't be negative enough about this...

and to post it only bangs nails onto the coffin that is ...the theatre!

"There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up." - Billie Holiday

Rainbowhigh23
#10SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:19am

I was going to consider this when someone offered me a comp but then I remembered how it would be more fun to just stay home and watch the original.

Brian07663NJ
#11SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 12:33pm

I'll agree that I would hardly hold this up to the standards of a Broadway show but I'll admit that I have actually had more fun at some off off Broadway shows where I've gone in with little to no expectations than I have at high ticket price Broadway shows that should have had legitimate high quality standards!

Wish I could see Bat Boy again!

OrdinaryJukebox
#12SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/17/13 at 4:52pm

I auditioned for this. The script is actually kind of funny. I mean, it's so absurd (is there any other way to go with it), but funny.

I won't be seeing it because I still have a sour-grape mentality about shows that don't hire me. I find it very difficult to part with money for a show that rejected me. lol

evic
#13SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/19/13 at 4:52pm

Saw it last night. Totally hysterical and trashy. The lead is a dead ringer for Elizabeth Berkley. Cast is very good, score is so so but fits the off off off Broadway feel of the show. Best number is "Don't Lick The Pole". I cried from laughing. Recommend it- so much fun. And they are moving to XL club in a few months. Congrats!

Brian07663NJ
#14SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/22/13 at 8:58am

I attended the Saturday evening performance on April 20th. If you are not familiar with the original movie the show will come off as more screwed up than it already is. The movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. About one hour in I did a time check to see how much longer I needed to remain still. If you are female-body-phobic...do not sit in the front row. In fact some of the choreography was probably learned by using a Twister game because I can attest to the results of a high quality Brazilian waxing.

Thoughts that flashed in my mind while sitting and watching this:
- If my ticket was approximately $20 then they spent $1 on guitar chord charts for ths score, $1 on pinking shears to finish the edges of the costumes, $1 for french fries off the dollar menu at McDonalds, $1 for a burger off the dollar menu at McDonalds, $2 on cockroach spray and $2 on rodent bait due to the french fries getting smashed into the stage for the entire performance, $5 on dilipatory products or services....
- What dipilatory method was used because I don't see any bumps in that tender neither region.
- I remember in an interview with Elizabeth Berkley (role of Nomi) that she sat next to her father when he watched this...I would not imagine subjecting any family OR friends to see me if I were in this.

Presented as a series of vignettes from the original movie, Showgirls the musical does hit the mark on blowing those memorable moments to occassional side splitting proportion. However, if you are not familiar with the source material it is likely to hit the stage and get smashed with the french fries I mentioned earlier. If you saw the movie you would be thankful to know that prior to the french fries being flipped was a vomit scene that the directors thankfully left to your imagination. The pool scene was as 'acrobatic' as it was in the movie but could the costume designer find something other than baggy tighty whities for the guy to wear 'in' the pool behind the somewhat sheer fabric?

Yes I agree that a high point was "Don't Lick That Pole" sung by Israel Vinas but aside from that (and possibly, possibly that International Boat Show show number) the music was like listening to warm up exercises for a guitar. There were next to no melodies. Bob and Tobly McSmith as writer/directors/musicians unfortunately had no one but themselves to polish this into something more palatable. In fact, if you've ever attended a party of young gay men...about 2am there is bound to be a few drunk guys who would reenact this movie as good if not better.

Marcus Desion's split performance as Molly and James (female and male characters) worked perfectly. He pulled it off in each scene making a true parody of each without being a distraction.

Rori Nogee as Cristal Conners also did an admirable job recreating the sexy vixen that the lead wanted to become.

Above all else April Kidwell as Nomi was a deadringer for Elizabeth Berkley. She physically threw herself into the role (and the wall several times), facial expressions were hysterical and she perfectly delivered the tacky lines (pulled directly from the movie).

Is this show worth seeing? Probably not.

Would I see this again? No.

Would I encourage anyone on BWW to go see this? For $20 and a fun night out with your friends...IF you are familiar with the movie - yes.

Recommend it casually to someone who asks what I've seen recently...absolutely not cause I don't want to be lynched.

OrdinaryJukebox...I encourage you to be happy that you don't have this on your resume.

OrdinaryJukebox
#15SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/22/13 at 9:36am

Awww, thanks Brian!! :)

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#16SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:42pm

LORDY! Need this in my life!

Noel&Cole
#17SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/22/13 at 4:47pm

I mean... I can't wait. I must see it. I hope there is a song called "DIFFERENT PLACES" she sing after throwing fries in the air

broadwayghost1
#18SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 4/28/13 at 9:43pm

Sat in the front row last night. HYSTERICAL!!!

Rainbowhigh23
#19SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/15/13 at 11:52pm

I saw the premiere performance tonight at their new home, XL nightclub. Rena Riffel played Penny - many lives were complete after this night. She is adorable in person and looks as good as she did in the movie. Lots of merch including copies of Showgirls 2 Penny's From Heaven and she was signing autographs and taking pictures with fans after the show.

I never got to see the show in its old theater and probably would have preferred it there personally, but the new space is absolutely perfect for a show with the theme of Showgirls. XL is as close as you'll get to the Cheetah before having the show at the Penthouse club - it's dark, dirty, has terrible sound and came across as sleazy as any place you'd get a lapdance in. The seating was cabaret with tables and drink service, and the catwalk was perfect for those "get to know me" moments with Nomi. Lots of boobies. It was a fun night!

Updated On: 5/15/13 at 11:52 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#20SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/16/13 at 12:55am

Wait, RENA RIFFEL IS IN THIS???????

Rainbowhigh23
#21SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/16/13 at 1:19am

*** With Special Guest Rena Riffel reprising her role as “Penny” from the film Showgirls
(May 15 – May 25) ****

From the official website!
http://showgirls-themusical.com/

Brian07663NJ
#22SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/16/13 at 8:06am

As intrigued as I am that Rena Riffel is in this for a limited time...I just couldn't sit through it again.

Visceral_Fella
#23SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/16/13 at 9:05am

That's very nice of her to join this company. She must be a fun person.

moviegod
#24SHOWGIRLS THE MUSICAL!
Posted: 5/16/13 at 2:45pm

I agree with Rainbowhigh23, the show was wonderful last night. Rena did a terrific job (she hasn't aged a single day!) and was super nice to her fans after the show ended. Apparently she had a crowdfunding campaign trying to get here and she seemed SO happy to be there. Regarding the venue, my BF saw it at the original theater and said it worked much better at the XL, because if there is one show that lends itself to runways and a nightclub setting, it's this. I had a blast, every song was a hoot and April Kidwell - who plays Nomi - is beyond fierce. She parodies Elizabeth Berkeley without being cruel, she evokes her insane intensity and for what it's worth is very respectful of Nomi's importance in contemporary camp culture. I know I might be seeing too much into it, but it was the most fun I've had in any show in NYC recently.

Videos