pixeltracker

Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?

Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 12:56pm

Nothing about that looks official.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:03pm

Hasn't this been discussed here?

Last I heard, that was the plan, yes.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#3Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:04pm

That's not in any way official, but it is true.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Emmaloucbway
#4Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:05pm

Yes, I've seen rumors of this floating around these boards for a while now. That website doesn't look official, but it's possible since I've seen this plan on BWW before.

ClydeBarrow
#5Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 1:10pm

Well I wanted to see Willemijn but now I'll probably wait to see Lindsay.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Nerwen
#6Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 2:51pm

Really, Lindsay?!?! I still hope it´s another actress, I don´t think she´s right for that role. IMHO she hasn´t "witchy" looks and her voice doesn´t fit the part.

BroadwayFan12
#7Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 3:52pm

Updated On: 4/14/13 at 03:52 PM

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#8Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/14/13 at 5:03pm

It's true.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Nerwen
#9Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 4:14am

How do you know? Where was that announced?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#10Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 4:32am

It's been long rumored to be the case, but never officially announced. That being said - I've also heard it's true.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

wicked4l
#11Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 10:58am

She supposedly said after a concert that yes, she was going into the show but not sure when. A friend who worked at the theatre also said they were planning on having her there for the 10th anniversary. We'll see if it plays out.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#12Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 11:55am

Schwartz has wanted her for the role for a while now, but things kept coming up. She will honestly bring something to the role, no recent Elphaba's have had. I am not trying to put down Mendez, but she is not dainty, she knows what its like to be judged by her looks and not her talent, despite it being immense. Most Elphaba's have been traditionally beautiful super skinny girls, with Ana Gasteyer, Mandy Gonzalez, and Idena Menzel being the possible exceptions.

Nerwen
#13Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 12:17pm

Is something already planned for the 10th anniversary? I hope Willemijn will attend.

I´m not convinced yet that Lindsay wil be good in that role but nevertheless I´m curious and will watch Youtube recordings, maybe that will change my mind.

BroadwayShowTime
#14Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 1:30pm

Damn it!
I was truly hoping Christine Dwyer would get the nod.

ClydeBarrow
#15Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 1:40pm

Here's a YouTube video to help you get started.

Lindsay Mendez-"The Wizard and I"

Updated On: 4/15/13 at 01:40 PM

Nerwen
#16Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 3:41pm

I already knew her take on that song and I don´t like it. I know she reaches all the notes and so on, I just don´t like the way she sings it there, but then it was on a concert, so probably she would sing it differently on stage.

I do not deny that she hasn´t the voice for the role, just her bodily features don´t fit. Elphaba is supposed to be tall, skinny and with sharp facial features.

I get the feeling that sympathy is more crucial (if it´s true that Stephen is rooting for her) than appropriateness.

Updated On: 4/15/13 at 03:41 PM

FindMe12
#17Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/15/13 at 7:51pm

You cant base her Elphaba on that song because she wasnt singing it in the context of the show, I think she will be a mix between Shoshana Bean and Mandy Gonzalez

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#18Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/16/13 at 8:13am

In what world is Mandy Gonzalez considered a super skinny girl? She's a very beautiful, unique, looking woman - not at all typical skinny girl. Considering the varying types of women who have played the role, there's no real mold for the role beyond being able to belt for your life, keep up with the demands of the role, and portray the role well.

Count me as someone who wasn't at all impressed with Lindsay from the video of her singing 'The Wizard and I', but I do believe she'll be fantastic in the role. It's always nice when someone new comes into a role like Elphaba and really finds something special in it - Nicole Parker did it, Mandy Gonzalez did it, and Lindsay Mendez absolutely will.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/16/13 at 08:13 AM

DefyGravity777
#19Lindsay Mendez to replace Willemijn Verkaik as Elphaba in WICKED?
Posted: 4/16/13 at 8:40am

The current Elphaba understudy on the 2NT is 6 foot tall and by no means is tiny girl. I think Lindsay will be fine. Doesn't matter to me what she looks like. As long as she can sing without doing too much crazy riffing she will be ok.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!