pixeltracker

Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?

Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#1Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 6:38pm

I found this pretty interesting, I was on Tumblr and according to a post it states that Arthur Darvill is playing Guy in Once, I guess Ben Hope was a temporary replacement? Supposedly Arthur is staying on till December. I just find it funny there was no press release released.

Tumblr posts:
http://hipster-rawry.tumblr.com/post/48384593093/arthur-will-be-the-guy-lead-for-the-musical-once
http://hipster-rawry.tumblr.com/post/48385802385/uptownisdeadnow-whos-seeing-rattyburvil-as

Twitter post:
https://twitter.com/MrRatwill/status/324170852352552961

Updated On: 4/19/13 at 06:38 PM

AntV
#2Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:08pm

If he is the new permanent Guy on until December why would he be on the understudy board? Seems like it's just a temporary thing.

MusicalTheatreGeek2 Profile Photo
MusicalTheatreGeek2
#2Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:08pm

Very strange! All look legit though! Good luck to him and I for one am hoping he comes over to London when he supposedly finishes in December! (But with once it seems you can never be sure what is going on)

MusicalTheatreGeek2
#3Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:09pm

I guess he is on the understudy board as there has been no announcement and he isn't in the playbill yet?

MusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
#4Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:22pm

How bizarre! I don't recall hearing anything about this whatsoever...

willep
#5Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:32pm

That's a new Girl as well...a British actress. She was in Equus with Dan Radcliffe during the West End run. Weird that they made no announcements about this.

Are Ben and Laura going to go to the tour, perhaps? Seems a bit early for them to leave for that, though.
Updated On: 4/19/13 at 07:32 PM

Jonwo
#6Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:33pm

Seems odd that they've not announced it, while he isn't a huge name, I can't see going to New York to be an understudy for 8 months, maybe he's going as an equity exchange,

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#7Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 7:59pm

^How exactly does an Equity exchange work, can you expand on that? Wasn't there a similar situation with Gavin Creel and Mark Evans in the Book of Mormon 1st Nat'l/OLC?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#8Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:57pm

He's not the understudy; he's on the understudy board because (I'd assume), he's not in the playbill.

Aasjb, Jared Gertner would've needed an exchange too. I'm not sure if Gavin and Mark were each others' exchange. Maybe one was Bertie Carvill?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#9Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 10:09pm

If Rory is in the show now then I will definitely be there. Can anyone confirm?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Jonwo
#10Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/19/13 at 10:10pm

Christopher Fitzgerald is also coming over to do Barnum. One of the children who plays Bruce in Matilda is British so perhaps he counts for the exchange along with Bertie Carvel. Would Emilia Clarke be consider an equity exchange or would she be exempt?

Arthur Darvill is interesting casting for Guy, he's not who I imagine for the role but he is a musician as well as an actor so it could work.

iluvtheatertrash
#11Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 12:14am

Darvill was indeed on tonight. I saw the sign with my own eyes. And had two friends with me.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Rainbowhigh23
#12Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 12:25am

I just bought my ticket for May 1 - but I am sooooooo hungry.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#13Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 4:30am

They were auditioning a lot of British actors a few months ago, I have a friend, not uber famous but well know enough, done Broadway before, who was seen for it. It seems like a very random move, not because of his ability just more about the fact that it hasn't be publicised but, oh well, hopefully I get over to see it again with him.

MusicalTheatreGeek2
#14Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 4:35am

I guess he might have auditioned for the London production and they liked him so asked him to audition on broadway instead?

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#15Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 4:41am

odd but could it be a warm up to take over in London?

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#16Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 5:09am

I think it was specifically for the New York production.It'll be interesting to see what Arthur is like though. There hasn't been much publicity about him.

Updated On: 4/20/13 at 05:09 AM

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#17Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 7:32am

If Rory is in the show now then I will definitely be there. Can anyone confirm?

I can confirm that Rory Williams is not in the show as he is a fictional character from Doctor Who.

It does appear however that Arthur Darvill, an actor who played Rory Williams, is in fact in the show.

The preceding was brought to you by the "Don't Be Creepy & Make An Ass Out of Yourself at the Stage Door Prevention Center."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#18Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 8:12am

Thanks Patronus but it's called a joke. Also I am not some Stagedoor Sally. I don't ever bother celebs actually but thanks for the message no one asked for.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#19Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 9:37am

You're welcome!

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#20Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:51am

Best of luck to Arthur- I'm sure he'll be wonderful! Wish I could get to NY to see.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 11:04am

maybe he's simply the new Guy standby?? and Joanna Christie is the new Girl standby??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#22Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/20/13 at 11:47am

I'm sure he's not a standby. While "Doctor Who" is not basic cable star material, it's still big enough on both sides of the Atlantic that after a long run as a lead on the critically acclaimed sci-fi show of the current decade, you don't suddenly become a standby for a lead in a small Broadway show.

Masters2
#24Arthur Darvill, of Doctor Who, is now playing Guy in Once?
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:06am

Saw Arthur Darvill yesterday in the Saturday matinee performance. Playbill say he is appearing "pursuant to an exchange program between American Equity and UK Equity." His performance was understated with his singing intense. He brought a bit of youthfulness to the role. I was impressed.