pixeltracker

Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots- Page 4

Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots

gchris11
#75Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 12:41pm

I did not see it in Chicago. But I have family that did and from what I am told, this version is a lot tighter and an all around better show. I also did not enjoy Matilda (saw it in London and here). It just left me feeling cold. Kinky sends you out feeling good.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#76Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:07pm

Thanks gchris , Happy to hear you like KB ! And saddened that you have to take a stab at Matilda . Without even seeing them both . ;(

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#77Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:18pm

I didn't mean to suggest that because reactions here were negative or even "meh", that I purposely avoided the show. And yes, I agree when should always see a show for himself.

But when picking and choosing what to see on rare trips to the city, such opinions do have an effect on which shows those of us who don't or can't see every show will choose.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#78Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 1:28pm

Patash , Don't fall into the fox trap. Lots of BS on this tread . And mostly from folks who have joined recently . I find it revolting !!!!

Updated On: 6/3/13 at 01:28 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#79Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 3:13pm

Huh?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

welcometothetheater Profile Photo
welcometothetheater
#80Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 3:34pm

Patash, I agree with you. I too avoided it during previews and certainly regret that now.

For arts and culture commentary, along with other assorted opinions, visit WEEPING ON WHEELS at http://weepingonwheels.tumblr.com/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#81Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 3:46pm

What is revolting? (I assume that's suppose to be a play on words with Matilda.)

I don't see, Joe5, what you are so fired up about. This has been a pretty respectful thread. So what if some folks think KB is a better show than Matilda? So what if some folk just don't like Matida (or any show for that matter.) Where is all this bashing you seem to be referring to?

People are allowed to have opinions.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#82Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 4:44pm

That new video celebrating 30 years of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is a brilliant marketing move. I've seen it pop up in my Twitter feed numerous times from different media outlets.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#83Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 5:15pm

What is revolting? (I assume that's suppose to be a play on words with Matilda.)

Yes it is dramamama . I have all respect to others opinions and Pal Joey . But I find it odd . When you read the thread . It reads a lot of Matilda . And not in the best of light .

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#84Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 5:19pm

I still don't see your issue -- considering these two shows seem likely to be the only two in consideration for actually being able to WIN the Tony, of course folks are going to champion one over the other.

If you started a "Let's hear it for Matilda" thread, I'm sure that the opposite will happen.

Why is that concerning to you? Their opinion can't (or shouldn't) change how you feel about the show.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/3/13 at 05:19 PM

Theater'sBestFriend
#85Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 6:24pm

^ I agree completely. I don't see what's wrong with a respectful exchange of ideas and opinions. I think it's what makes these boards interesting! Thank goodness social media has allowed so many more voices to join the conversation - I learn an immense amount from them, and am grateful for the information and opinions I read here, including those with which I disagree. Of course people are going to have their favorite in a Tony season that has turned out to be such a close race as this.

Regarding the question above, "DOES Kinky Boots really 'touch on how gay people have contributed to society, and [how] society is finally starting to give them equality'?," of course it does. That's the whole point of the story: Lola makes people change their mind, including a bully, and saves the factory. Some gay people may deny a sense of community with transgender folks (that happened after Stonewall). But drag is a humorous aping of stereotypes in the best traditions of social satire that subverts homophobia along with other prejudice, sexism included.

By the way, I found the link to the video mentioned above:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Video Updated On: 6/3/13 at 06:24 PM

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#86Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/3/13 at 10:39pm

You're trying too hard. As many in this thread have said, that the reason Kinky Boots doesn't touch on gay rights is because its characters are so sexless that there is debate about whether they are even gay.

Also, drag =/= transgender.

Theater'sBestFriend
#87Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/4/13 at 5:47am

Perhaps I would be clearer to say the show's about acceptance of those who seem queer. That's why it's relevant to the current LGBT civil rights struggle.

gchris11
#88Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/4/13 at 10:51am

Joe5 I have seen both in NYC (Matilda in London and in NYC). I did not see Kinky in Chicago. I gave Matilda a fair shot, I still do not like it. It is an opinion and not putting it down. Just not my cup of tea.

Theater'sBestFriend
#89Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:14pm

"...its themes of acceptance are 'old news'."

The author disagrees with you. Check it out:

Harvey Fierstein on Homophobia Today

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#90Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/4/13 at 7:27pm

Regardless of all that: I downloaded the cast recording and I can't say I find any of it that appealing. It was fine in the theater with the cast and choreography and whatnot, but I just don't find myself needing to hear anything repeated, etc. It's not a bad score, but it's not very memorable.

BrerBear Profile Photo
BrerBear
#91Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 12:18am

Ugh, what a self-serving "editorial".
To paraphrase it: "There's still homophobia at various places in the world. By the way, don't miss our new show Kinky Boots, which has a gentle message about acceptance. You simply *have* to love us!"

I'm sorry, but this gay guy finds that to be self-serving dreck. So much back-patting for a completely easy message. Maybe his next show will be about how it's bad to punch puppies.

Fie on Fierstein.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#92Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 12:25am

Fie on BrerBear.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#93Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 10:31am

I think Fierstein brings up some excellent points in his editorial and agree with most of it.

I just don’t think “Kinky” is doing much in the way of forwarding the queer movement, as it is very clear it intends to do. Like others have said, it’s safe and giving the mainstream what they want. Jordan said something in the thread on homophobia at “Road Show” in Texas that I think really summed it up for me: People tend to be better with stereotypical gays and drag queens. But when genuine emotion is displayed between two men, well that's when Bubba & Erlene freak out. This is exactly how I feel about “Kinky” – the queerness in this show is harmless and doesn’t seem “threatening” to the general audience, so they can swallow it down easy. I, by no means, feel that every queer character in plays, film, literature, etc. must do something that advances the queer movement, but I take issue with “Kinky” regarding this because it clearly lauds itself as making a statement for the queer community, but, for me, didn’t push the boundaries enough for the show to truly make any sort of impact on the queer movement.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#94Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 11:39am

> "...its themes of acceptance are 'old news'."

The author disagrees with you.

Yes, and I wouldn't argue that he shouldn't. But on the other hand, regarding moving forward to eliminate the hate, I think it's even more important to emphasize the current state of progress. By doing so, it creates an air of "peer pressure" ("look how your archaic bigotry is being left behind in the dust") that I think gives a stronger incentive for more change.

Also, I think that Fierstein has a wonderfully "big" voice (both literally and figuratively) when it comes to creating visibility for LGBTs. He's used it again with Kinky Boots, but to express (IMO) a moral that has already gained significantly wider, positive traction (in spite of the examples of bigotry that also still exist).

My feeling is that if he had not narrowed the focus of the original film (that of saving the business via divergent thinking) to just the relationship between Charlie and Lola, he could have created a metaphor (one of "the business" for "the world") that call to mind even more, LGBT issues like traditional marriage, adoption rights, harrassment in the workplace, etc... I think that single change of focus would have been more in line with his statement, "You change the world when you change your mind".

BTW, he's broadened his statement about the show's central theme since its tryout in Chicago, where he told Chris Jones that, "the musical will be, at its core, about two young men who come from seemingly opposite worlds who figure out that they have a lot in common, beginning with the need to stand up to their dads." (http://trib.in/11hNj0w). That's a very limited scope, and I think it's still applied in the Broadway version of the show. The Broadway show is primarily about Charlie and Lola, with a secondary focus on the success of the factory.

I don't necessarily fault Fierstein for wanting to create a more intimate story about two men. I just think that with KB, it turned out too "trite" with a moral that focuses on spreading the message that there are still societal "failures", even though there has been significant progress.

I do understand, and agree that violent bigotry still occurs, and more work needs to be done, but KB does not speak to that. It is a story about what happens when RATIONAL people open their minds. Many, many RATIONAL people are already doing that.

Updated On: 6/5/13 at 11:39 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#95Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 11:50am

I really don't think Kinky Boots goes any deeper or more specific than "don't judge a book by its cover". It gets hitched to the LGBT wagon because it has drag queens despite Fierstein's explicit intent not to include any homosexuality in the show. La Cage was gayer than this show and it was originally staged with little-to-no physical intimacy between the gay men. I just find it odd that Kinky Boots is somehow supposed to be hugely meaningful. It's nice and it's sweet, but I didn't see anything remotely profound.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#96Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/5/13 at 5:39pm

I have no opinion on Kinky Boots, as I haven't seen it and likely won't, but I found Fierstein's editorial was a little irritating- at least the end of it was. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of what he said was right, but to basically end it with a plug for your own show- come on.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#97Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/7/13 at 4:26am

I love Cyndi Lauper, and was pulling for her to win Best Score, but I just listened to the cast recording and was underwhelmed. I found it rather bland. I will listen to it several more times though, because sometimes scores have to grow on you. But, at this moment, I'm back to thinking Matilda should win for it's score, only because it's more theatrical.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#98Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/7/13 at 10:16am

Great interview with Harvey by the handsome Thomas Roberts on MSNBC:

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/06/06/harvey-fierstein-takes-on-lgbt-issues-both-onstage-and-off/

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#99Everybody's Talking About Kinky Boots
Posted: 6/7/13 at 11:30am

The handsome and out Thomas Roberts :)

Videos