First Date

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#1First Date
Posted: 6/7/13 at 6:15pm

So what's the buzz on First Date? Sounds like it could be an interesting show.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2First Date
Posted: 6/7/13 at 6:18pm

Really? The other threads trashing this weren't enough?

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#2First Date
Posted: 6/7/13 at 6:23pm

Yeah, really. I think it sounds interesting and fun.

ABOUT
When blind date newbie Aaron (Zachary Levi; “Chuck” and Thor: The Dark World) is set up with serial-dater Casey (Krysta Rodriguez; “Smash” and ;The Addams Family), a casual drink at a busy New York restaurant turns into an hilarious high-stakes dinner. As the date unfolds in real time, the couple quickly finds that they are not alone on this unpredictable evening. In a delightful and unexpected twist, Casey and Aaron’s inner critics take on a life of their own when other restaurant patrons transform into supportive best friends, manipulative exes and protective parents, who sing and dance them through ice-breakers, appetizers and potential conversational land mines. Can this couple turn what could be a dating disaster into something special before the check arrives?
FIRST DATE is an hysterical and hopeful new Broadway musical about the chances we all take to find love.

ajh
#3First Date
Posted: 6/8/13 at 7:54am

I don't really get the advance hate for this either. Before the casting announcement, I found a clip of the Seattle(?) production of it and thought it was smart, witty and catchy. Then my interest increased with the B'way casting announcement; then there's the footage of Krysta Rodriguez doing her big ballad in Times Sq the other day.....loved that number and suggests that the show won't just be light comedy. The music I've heard is maybe a bit generic but it is attractive and memorable. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#4First Date
Posted: 6/8/13 at 8:56pm

I youtubed a few videos from the Seattle run. Looks pretty darn good to me. It's not going to be the next Chorus Line or Les Miz, but it looks fun!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5First Date
Posted: 6/24/13 at 5:44pm

Just got a ticket for July 16th. that is the first night Levi is out and Ankrim is on. Since Ankrim originated the role, I really want to see him.

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6First Date
Posted: 6/24/13 at 6:49pm

I thought this show already closed.

JuanValjean72 Profile Photo
JuanValjean72
#7First Date
Posted: 6/24/13 at 6:52pm

I agree it really does sound like an interesting concept for a show. Who gives a **** what other people say? They're all entitled out to their opinions but not when they state as a fact that it will flop. Those who have faith in new musicals and not so much the movie-into-musicals or long running hits. I'm really looking forward to seeing it this summer :)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8First Date
Posted: 6/24/13 at 7:08pm

thinking it will flop is still part of their opinion.

What you all fail to realize when admonishing the naysayers is that most of them will:
1. See the show.
2. Give their honest opinion of it, regardless of their initial thoughts.

Their negative opinion is no better or worse than your positive one.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#9First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 9:59am

100% excited for this show and I can not wait to see it.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#10First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 10:14am

The description sounds like a pedestrian combo of They're Playing Our Song and I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.

It might be better than that; that's just what the PR makes it sound like to me. Perhaps if the banal mating dance of the modern American heterosexual were interesting to me, I might hold out more hope...

willep
#11First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 10:26am

I'm excited for this one. I just youtubed the clip from the Seattle production and didn't care for that guy, but it looks like a role that is right up Zac Levi's alley.

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#12First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 11:20am

I have my front row seat for a late July performance and am looking forward to having a good time. It won't be a classic and probably won't win any awards but since I've seen everything else, I figured why not?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 5:42pm

I am am excited because it is a new original musical and I get to see Krysta on stage.

Just give the world Love.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#14First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 6:12pm

I've really fallen in love with Krysta's voice in recent months.
I hope it turns out well for everyone involved, but it does seem more like an OB show to me.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#15First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 6:37pm

It's an actual new, original musical, so I guess that makes me slightly excited but from what I've seen I'm not holding my breath waiting. That said, I'm sure I'll be rushing it or grabbing a TDF ticket just since I've seen everything else on Broadway I want to at this point (still need to catch The Trip to Bountiful.)

Unless it gets great word of mouth (unlikely), I just don't see how it will last to the fall with so many new popular musicals with huge buzz monopolizing the tourist trade.

On a side note - when was the last time we had four musicals in a season essentially sold out every performance (Matilda, Motown, Kinky Boots, Pippin)?

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#16First Date
Posted: 6/25/13 at 7:07pm

I don't know what it is but Krysta's voice just doesn't do it for me. I am not well versed in music or voice at all but I think it's her tone that I just don't care for. I can tell she is talented but just yeah...

And back on topic, is it weird that since this was announced,I totally thought this was a musical spin on the Adam Sandler movie "50 First Dates."