Pre opening artwork

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#1Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 5:52pm

I was looking at some interactive features on the New York Times website and was curious to see the development of posters prior to a shows Broadway opening. I was wondering, does anyone have any photos of artwork that was developed but eventually dropped. Here's some I've found:

Pre opening artwork
La Cage

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/09/13/theater/20090913-ragtime-feature.html?_r=0
Ragtime feature

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#2Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:13pm

Pre opening artwork

I far preferred the pre-Broadway AIDA artwork.

With Irma you gotta do something!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#2Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:19pm

Pre opening artwork

The most immediate recent example I could think of, Roundabout's announcement logo for THE BIG KNIFE before they launched their Saul Bass-inspired brand redesign.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Updated On: 7/3/13 at 06:19 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:24pm

This was their original artwork for Drood

Pre opening artwork

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#4Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:30pm

Pre opening artwork

PIPPIN's initial launch artwork was pretty uninspired, compared to the beautiful work they have now.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#5Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:32pm

Pre opening artwork

Ditto for ONCE's bland artwork from NYTW.

broadwayman17
#6Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/3/13 at 6:37pm

Pre opening artwork

Spring Awakening while at Atlantic

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#7Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/4/13 at 11:30am

Pre opening artwork

A Doll's Life had inferior artwork out of town compared to what landed on Broadway.

With Irma you gotta do something!

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#8Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/5/13 at 3:40am

Pre opening artwork

This is my favorite O K !!!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#9Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/5/13 at 5:32am

Wicked Protype Poster designs... you know when they apparently didn't care about spoiling it before you even walked in the door...

Pre opening artwork Pre opening artwork
Pre opening artwork Pre opening artwork

Updated On: 7/5/13 at 05:32 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#10Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/5/13 at 11:27am

PROMISES, PROMISES utilized the girls and key illustration during their out of town tryouts both on the program and the playbill. Once they moved to Broadway they utilized a completely different design illustrated by Talivaldis Stubis who also designed the show logos for ANYONE CAN WHISTLE and FUNNY GIRL.

The Stubis illustration depicts a girl with her legs open, which was kind of racy for its time.

United Artists Records used the girls and key illustration for the cover of the Original Broadway Cast Album.

For the London production starring Betty Buckley and Tony Roberts the posters used the girls/key illustration and the program used the Stubis illustration.

The girls/key logo. Boston Tryout Program:

Pre opening artwork

Talivadis Stubis logo design. Broadway Program:

Pre opening artwork

Updated On: 7/5/13 at 11:27 AM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#11Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 3:08pm

love this thread!!!!

...wasn't there a feature on NYT about the development of the Ragtime (revival) logo?

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#12Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 3:18pm

Pre opening artwork

From Shrek in seattle before broadway

JohnyBroadway
#13Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 3:29pm

The Mary Poppins artwork developed over the years. From west end to broadway.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#15Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 5:18pm

Pre opening artwork

I've been really enjoying this thread, too. I find developmental art for pre-Broadway runs fascinating in hindsight. Anyone else think this art for LIMELIGHT (soon to be CHAPLIN), while less ornate, strikes the more appropriate tone for the show?

Updated On: 7/10/13 at 05:18 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 5:49pm

^I remember seeing that artwork in the TV commercials when Limelight was playing here. It definitely made a lot more sense than the artwork that was used in New York. The show was mostly designed in black and white. I'm not sure why that aesthetic screamed yellow and purple to the Broadway marketing firm.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#17Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 6:39pm

I also think La Jolla's art for LIMELIGHT was better than its art for HANDS ON A HARDBODY.

Pre opening artwork

I preferred the ultimate Broadway artwork, even though the rest of the marketing really let the show down.

Some other fun ones I've found, a pair of other shows launched from NYTW:

PETER AND THE STARCATCHER
Pre opening artwork

and the original run of RENT
Pre opening artwork

Wildcard
#18Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 7:23pm

Pre opening artwork

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#19Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 7:53pm

Pre opening artwork

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#20Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 8:00pm

Pre opening artwork

broadwayman17
#21Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 8:01pm

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

Wildcard
#22Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 8:01pm

I wouldn't really count Mary Poppins as pre-opening artwork since that was used for a major production. It's like saying the Broadway art for Into The Woods was the pre-opening artwork for the London "wolf' version.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#23Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 8:05pm

Pre opening artwork

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#24Pre opening artwork
Posted: 7/10/13 at 8:07pm

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork

Pre opening artwork