Essay topics about Broadway?

AnnieGables
#1Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 2:13pm

For my AP music class, I have to write an essay. The topic is "On Broadway." That's all our teacher gave us, nothing else. I know absolutely nothing about Broadway or theater in general. Any interesting topics you guys have? Thanks!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#2Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 2:57pm

How long is the essay to be?

"On Broadway" is the rough equivalent of "About Opera" (though Broadway music only goes back 2 centuries rather than 5).

jetts7 Profile Photo
jetts7
#2Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 3:20pm

You could write about the process of making a broadway show.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 3:29pm

You can write about Cheyenne's new tattoos.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#4Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 3:38pm

I would suggest finding a specific era, style, or theme you particularly like and focus on that. For example, I wrote a paper for a college class on the musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein as examples of innovation for their time. I also wrote one on politics in musicals, and one on feminist themes in various musicals set in Oz. Since it's a music class, I would recommend some topic that allows you to include a little discussion of the actual music.
I took AP Music in high school, too, and had a blast! Good luck :)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 4:21pm

nd of course, why not talk to your teacher? Is he/she just trying to find out what you know? Are you writing a thesis statement essay? I can't imagine that the assignment consisted only of the words: On B'way.

It's hard to give you guidance without knowing you. I try to always tell my students that when given a blank slate to take advantage of the freedom and truly connect to the work. What are you passionate about? History? Politics? Social Issues? ANYTHING can be found on the stage of a Bway Musical. If you are all about music, perhaps you can examine why the musical even works using Has Christian Anderson's quote, "When words fail, music speaks.

But use YOU.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayobsessed
#6Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 4:37pm

Well keeping in theme with the person who said "rogers and Hammerstein," I would also suggest looking into Stephen Sondheim. Especially regarding the music there are endless details he includes in his music that you could write about. Also if you do Stephen Sondheim you should definitely get your hands on his book "finishing the hat" and its sequel "look at the hat I made." It has his specific thoughts behind many many songs that he wrote throughout his career.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#7Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/3/13 at 7:12pm

How about Broadway's influence on society and social change?
Think South Pacific; Book of Mormon; Avenue Q, Wicked (on monarchies, dictators and despots and how the press often get it wrong) L'il Abner (There are tons of examples.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#8Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/13 at 3:38pm

If you have the time there's a really great documentary called, Broadway the American musical, that should help you get started. Once you're more more familiar with Broadway's history, it would be easier for you to choose a particular topic.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#9Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/13 at 4:03pm

Someone in my sophomore English class wrote about "How Disney Changed Broadway".

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#10Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/4/13 at 4:27pm

The British Invasion is also an interesting topic.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#11Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 10:58am

Is there a type of music you enjoy and know a lot about? You might find some Broadway musicals that have tried to incorporate that style of music and discuss how well it worked or didn't and why.

Updated On: 8/5/13 at 10:58 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 11:24am

Well, since it has been 2 days since the OP, I'm going to guess that she's not returning and all our good intentioned advice is all for naught.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#13Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 11:29am

Crossover: Shifting Bonds Between Stage and Popular Music

Part I Symbiosis
Part II Estrangement
Part III Coexistence

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#14Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 11:33am

The Great Theatre Massacre of 1982

senorvoce2 Profile Photo
senorvoce2
#15Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 1:54pm

They say the neon lights are bright...

dblue236
#16Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/5/13 at 2:14pm

I like the idea of discussing the process of producing a Broadway show, from start to stage. Sounds like it could be a fun topic to write about!

bwaychae5192 Profile Photo
bwaychae5192
#17Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/6/13 at 1:22am

In my AP English class, I wrote a discographic essay about sexual undertones in musical theatre. I really enjoyed writing it and ended up with one of the highest grades in the class. While that specific topic may not be up your alley, you could always look at different styles or subjects in musical theatre scores.

Like many others have said, it's definitely a good idea to ask your teacher about what he or she is looking for with the essay.

Every living soul has got a voice - you've got to give it room and let it sing.
Updated On: 8/6/13 at 01:22 AM

AnnieGables
#18Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/6/13 at 12:04pm

Thanks guys! It's just we usually study more classical composers and all our essays are about things related to that, and she suddenly sprung Broadway on us, and I really know nothing about Broadway. I'll definitely check out that documentary and research some of yalls suggestions. Oh, and the essay is 550-750 words.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#19Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/6/13 at 7:28pm

You might look at Forest and Wright. They were a songwriting team of the 50s and 60s who used classical themes as music for Broadway shows.

They actually had sizable hits with KISMET (themes from Borodin) and SONG OF NORWAY (themes from Grieg).

I'm sure there were others, but you don't need me to google for you.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 8/6/13 at 9:10pm

Oh, and the essay is 550-750 words

If they asked me, I could write a book.

J.P.3
#21Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 12/24/15 at 7:43am

The best way to choose a topic is to do a research on broadway. And when you find something that interests you, write your paper on it. Surely, this will take more time than simply asking for advice. Still, you can check websites like http://www.pbs.org/wnet/broadway/category/essays/ or http://musicessay.org/topics/ for some tips on choosing a topic.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#22Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 12/24/15 at 8:19am

Since you are asking this community, one answer might be the impact, if any, of social media criticism on Broadway production focusing on three stages: pre-Broadway (when there is pre-Broadway) development and preview, the professional critics, and boomeranging to how social media reception changes, if it does, after professional reviews come out.   Do professionals still function as independently as they once did?  Or has word of mouth perhaps become a more significant force now that it can be mass communicated by just about anyone?  What exactly is the social networking mob's influence? 

Not sure if there is enough out there that will help you begin to answer these questions but there might be.

oh, I now see this is an old thread and that I gave you a potential thesis two years ago.  Nevermind.

Updated On: 12/24/15 at 08:19 AM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#23Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 12/24/15 at 10:06am

Your topic should be: Why bootlegging a Broadway show should be allowed. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#24Essay topics about Broadway?
Posted: 12/24/15 at 10:09am

Is it AP music theory? If so, that's an interesting assignment for that class. If so, you could write about a specific Broadway composer and discuss how and/or why he/she strays from or conforms to voice leading conventions.