No fly shows in Wicked

Fantasma Profile Photo
Fantasma
#25No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 7:50pm

I actually think the thread is interesting. He is going exactly where he should go if you want an answer this type of questions. Although there is a lot of great material and make it beyond defying gravity.

ahhrealmonsters
#26No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 8:53pm

Nicole Parker talked about no fly shows at Wicked with Seth Rudetsky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYoNyickcrI&list=PL201B8C7C4E72F4B2&index=38

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#27No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 9:18pm

I'm not saying that I got a free ticket and if the show isn't perfect I'm gonna be pissed. I was just wondering how often this happens. I know someone who works in the first tour of Wicked and it was my birthday recently so somehow she got me 4th row seats and said I didn't need to pay a dime. I thought it was nice of her. And for the millionth time, It's not that I hate the show or am forcing myself to go. I just wouldn't spend my own money to see it again. But she very generously offered me a ticket so I accepted. There are parts of the show I do like, and parts I don't. One of the parts I do like is Defying Gravity. I'm not saying I would be pissed at a no fly show, it might actually be interesting. If it was my first time, I might be a little disappointed. But it's not so I'm fine. I was just curious. No need to be harsh.

#28No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 9:21pm

I rock. I can be harsh if I wanna.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#29No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 9:43pm

Since you didn't pay for your ticket, I would just STFU and enjoy the show.

Or just don't go, if you are going to be that upset she doesn't fly.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mike Barrett
#30No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 10:15pm

I was honestly just wondering how often no fly shows happen and what happens when they do. I never heard about them the first 2 times I saw it. I've heard about them recently and was just wondering if they happened a lot. I honestly hope there's a no fly show tomorrow so I can tell how cool it was that I saw it and how much I still enjoyed Defying Gravity.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#31No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 10:25pm

4:46 p.m. "I just don't really want to see a no fly show. It's really the only part I look forward to in the show. "

10:15 p.m. "I honestly hope there's a no fly show tomorrow so I can tell how cool it was that I saw it "

Now, you're just messin' with us.

FindingNamo
#32No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 10:26pm

When I bought my ticket it said "Fly Show" in the corner, which I misread as "Shoo Fly."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Mike Barrett
#33No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 10:30pm

Fishermanbob: Obviously anyone seeing Wicked who knows about Defying Gravity wants to see it. I've seen it twice. Like I said, there are parts of the show I like and parts I don't, Defying Gravity is one of the parts I like. I want to see it happen the way it should. Saying that I want to see a no fly show now wasn't serious. Of course I want to see her fly. But if she doesn't and it happens to be a no fly show, I'll live. It really isn't that bug of a deal. I'll be a little disappointed but it's not like it ruins the whole show. There are other parts I enjoy.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#34No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 10:35pm

Are all of the newbies tweens?!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

tphiliboy152
#35No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/14/13 at 11:41pm

You'll most likely see her fly. While the Broadway production does have a lot of no-flys it isn't a thing that happens every week. It just happens when it happens. Sometimes things fail technically which also includes the automation. It's announced to the cast and ushers prior to the performance if there's going to be a no-fly or not. There are sometimes, however when the actress playing Elphaba doesn't know there's going to be a no-fly until the part in the show is happening.

If the first row of clock spoke towers don't start moving when she says the "it's not her" then you'll know it's gonna be a no-fly.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#36No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 1:27am

Do people still scream and cheer when Elphaba goes up on the " IT'S MEEEE" line in Defying Gravity?

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#37No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 1:36am

On tour, yes, all the time. On Broadway too but when a new Elphaba flies for the first time.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#38No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 1:38am

^Is that because the audience on Broadway is filled with people who have seen the show hundreds of times before?

justincharacter
#39No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 1:51am

I'm pretty sure.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#40No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 2:24am

My friend texted me during intermission and said Elphaba doesn't fly anymore during Defying Gravity. Instead, she does cartwheels.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Visceral_Fella
#41No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:13am

Because Defying Gravity is now set in a Circus.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#42No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:37am

On tour, yes, all the time. On Broadway too but when a new Elphaba flies for the first time.

When WICKED first came to Houston (in 2005) they did. They didn't in 2007, 2010, or 2013.

N2N Nate. Profile Photo
N2N Nate.
#43No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:49am

"Is that because the audience on Broadway is filled with people who have seen the show hundreds of times before?"

Possibly. Plus, There are countless bootlegs of the whole show online. People ( especially teens) could be going to the show knowing full well what happens. Destroys the magic and surprise if you ask me.

So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes! *wink*

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#44No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 10:03am

At this point, there is no way a show would be running this long to capacity on Broadway without multiple visits from obsessed fans. It's not just tourists, because that show has played everywhere you can think of. Also multiple times.

We're into the crowd of Wicked Heads that counts how many times they've seen it on a calculator.

As for this thread, I keep picturing "No Pest Strips" hanging from Elphaba's costume like a 1920s flapper, ensuring beyond any practical doubt that she has "no flies."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/15/13 at 10:03 AM

Mike Barrett
#45No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 10:07am

I mean I've heard of people who have seen this show hundreds of time. Personally, I wouldn't see my favorite show that much but if you want to go right ahead. Whatever makes you happy! Also I believe that this is Wicked's 4th time in Boston. So believe me people around her have had plenty of chances to see it. Also when it's here it's usually around for 5-6 weeks and in the summer.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#46No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 10:27am

The applause for the flying during Defying Gravity was/is kind of like the applause that the baricade used to receive during the original production of Les Miserables. I used to work there during it's first year on Broadway, and the barricade didn't receive much applause shortly after the show's first anniversary on Broadway.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#47No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:35pm

I feel like a heathen, living only 5 hours south of NY, and still trying to catch up with Wicked and BOM at the Kennedy Center or in Baltimore!

I'm sure people who hear about the special effects in Wicked (and I didn't know about them till I read this thread) want to see them. Still, I can't imagine why everyone is picking on Mike Barrett because he accepted a free ticket to a show he enjoys, but is not on his favorite list. Unless I actively disliked a show, I'd probably go back and see it a third time, especially with a free ticket.

As far as those engaging in the snarkfest of how this is a dumb thread, I find it interesting. I love reading how the technical aspects of a show work (or don't work). I'm trying to remember when musicals got so high-tech. Was Starlight Express the first one to try unusual stage effects? I'd be curious if anyone knows.

You alone can make my song take flight.

Mike Barrett
#48No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/16/13 at 12:42am

^^Thank you! And I am happy to report that Elphaba did fly tonight. It was amazing as usual. Alison Luff is AMAZING as Elphaba. Blew me away.

justincharacter
#49No fly shows in Wicked
Posted: 8/16/13 at 12:48am