A Tale of Two Dollys

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#1A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 1:17pm

I had the good fortune to recently see two productions of Hello, Dolly! The first was at the Cape Cod Playhouse in Dennis, Massachusetts, starring Beth Leavel (Tony winner for The Drowsy Chaperone) which has now closed.

The second was in East Haddam, Connecticut at the Goodspeed Opera House, starring Klea Blackhurst. It's running through Sept. 14, and I highly recommend it.

In the Cape production, Beth Leavel played a smart Dolly who quietly manipulated the people around her to achieve results. Her singing was solid and she was charming and warm. The cast also featured Jennifer Cody (Hunter Foster's wife) as Minnie Fay. Her comedic timing and dancing were fantastic. Six male dancers performed an energetic Waiters’ Gallop which is one of my favorite numbers.

On the down side, Barnaby and Cornelius were dull and leaden and Irene Malloy had to work hard to hit her notes on Ribbons Down My Back. The show was too fast-paced and some of the good jokes were lost.

The worst offense was the shrill one-note performance by James Brennan as Horace Vandergelder. All he did was bark. I wanted to jump on stage and beg Dolly not to settle for this dog. Overall, I give Beth Leavel an A and B-/C+ for this production.

Goodspeed was something else! Klea Blackhurst, best known for her Ethel Merman tribute, brought some Merman boldness to her Dolly. She was sassier than Beth Leavel and milked every joke. Without uttering a word, she was hysterical in the pre-courtroom scene where the characters were anxiously waiting for her to finish her meal and come in and defend them. This scene was completely cut from the Cape Cod production.

Ashley Brown, who originated the role of Mary Poppins on Broadway was a first rate Irene Malloy. She was gorgeous and added some extra trills and flourishes to Ribbons Down My Back, which made the number sparkle. Unfortunately, she was not helped by the actor playing Cornelius. As in the Cape production, he seemed to just be going through the motions. There was no chemistry. The Minnie Fay was cute but not in the same league as Jennifer Cody. The dancers in the Waiters Gallop, however, were AMAZING! The choreography was very complex and included juggling, balancing skewers, back flips, and clanging silver plates and lids.

The biggest surprise though was Tony Sheldon as Horace Vandergelder. Finally, an actor who GETS it! Hello, Dolly! is supposed to be a comedy and if Horace only yells and screams he ain’t funny. Sheldon, Tony nominee for Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, was a breath of fresh air. He played Horace as a cheap miser who was as foolish as the next guy. His facial expressions were priceless, conveying much with just a roll of the eyes. You wanted Dolly to marrying him.

My score on this is an A for Klea Blackhurst and an A- for the production. It lost points for a weak Cornelius and for cutting the scene where Dolly hires “Ernestina.” That can be done so quickly, I don’t know why it was cut. If I were a first-time viewer I would have been puzzled by Ernestina’s appearance, not knowing Dolly hired her.

So rumor has it (Is it confirmed yet?) that Kristin Chenoweth is going to play Dolly in a Broadway revival. While I hope that's not true, I do hope the producers consider Tony Sheldon for Horace. He nailed it.

Updated On: 8/27/13 at 01:17 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 1:44pm

~ great reviews stage door sally!

~ i am a big fan of ashley brown (who was an excellent 'poppins') and of tony sheldon, who endeared me in 'priscilla'.

~ no offense to ms. blackhurst but i've never heard of her, but your reviews are so concise and well thought out that i will definitely take your word that she did the role justice.

~ the waiter's gallop sounds amazing by your description.

~ i'm willing to take a chance and go see this production based on your review.

~ i've never been to the goodspeed...is it a large theater?

~ as far as seating is concerned how are the sightlines?

~ thanks in advance for any additional info you provide.

~ again, thanks for the reviews!

Musicaldudepeter
#2A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 1:59pm

Cornelius is a thankless role though... Ugh... Even Meryl Streep could do nothing with it.

Liza's Headband
#3A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:02pm

"~ no offense to ms. blackhurst but i've never heard of her, but your reviews are so concise and well thought out that i will definitely take your word that she did the role justice. "

Carlos, I'm not sure you will immediately convert but try finding some of Klea Blackhurst's performances on YouTube. She has a small, but loyal, following of fans. I have never been one of them but have been fortunate to see her in several regional productions and -- more importantly -- her one woman cabaret, which she was incredible in.

Maybe we'll make the trip up to CT for this. Sounds promising.

Stage Door Sally
#4A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:05pm

Thanks CarlosAlberto. If you're a fan of Ashley Brown and Tony Sheldon you're in for a treat. I've seen many Dollys over the years that it takes something special to make me take notice and they did just that. The Waiters' Gallop was one of the best I've seen.

Klea Blackhurst = Ethel Merman's baby sister.

Goodspeed is very small. You can sit anywhere and see just fine. Don't be taken back by the side Mezzanine seats. Very good views from there. I sat in the front center Mezz and it was further back than the sides. No problem. The stage is small but they make good use of it. An added bonus is the location. The playhouse is on a river, and last Saturday was so beautiful I enjoyed a Champagne Cocktail (only $6 because they give you a $2 coupon) at an outside table watching the boats go by.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:07pm

Cornelius is a thankless role though... Ugh... Even Meryl Streep could do nothing with it.

When did Meryl Streep play Cornelius?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#6A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:12pm

Going to see a production with Karen Ziemba as Dolly in a couple of months. For the first time, I actually sort of enthused about seeing Hello Dolly.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

CarlosAlberto
#7A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:15pm

~ thanks so much for the information stage door sally!

~ sounds like a great venue...and cocktails?!?!...i am *so* there!

#8A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:22pm

I found Streep only fair as Horace. The Dutch accent added nothing.

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#9A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:24pm

Thanks for the terrific reviews, sally! I won't be able to get to Goodspeed so I will have to settle for the Streisand version I for some ungodly reason decided to watch this past weekend. I suppose I just missed the score, the choreography and the lush cinematography.

Sometimes you just have to settle.

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#10A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:31pm

Have no idea what to think, but this fall some touring production is coming to Proctor's in Schenectady, starring SALLY STRUTHERS.. Now that sounds scary!

Stage Door Sally
#11A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:35pm

I used to think Horace was a thankless role. But all it takes is a good actor to change your mind. Trying to think who would make a good Cornelius... Hmmm...

As for the movie version, I think the music and Barbra's singing were wonderful, and who couldn't love Louis Armstrong. But Barbra didn't get much support from the cast, especially Walter Matthau. And I LOVE Walter Matthau. But not this time.

CarlosAlberto
#12A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:49pm

~ we've discussed the movie here countless times

~ some who didn't care for it when it was first released have grown over time to really like it or love it now.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#13A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/27/13 at 2:52pm

On screen, I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt would make a terrific Cornelius. On stage, maybe Bobby Steggert?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

KathyNYC2
#14A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/31/13 at 11:34am

Bobby Steggert = yes.

Dollypop
#15A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 8/31/13 at 3:43pm

"...and for cutting the scene where Dolly hires “Ernestina.” That can be done so quickly, I don’t know why it was cut."

I've seen HELLO, DOLLY hundreds of times. There never has been a scene where Dolly "hires" Ernestina. Never. I don't know where you got that idea from.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Stage Door Sally
#16A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 9:16am

Dollypop, during the parade number, after Dolly chats with Horace, she goes over to a woman, whispers in her ear, points at her watch, and hands her some cash. The woman nods, laughs and (usually) stuffs the bill in her bosom. The scene was in the Cape Cod production and every version of Dolly I've seen. And that's how Dolly hires Ernestina Money.

Because there is no dialogue, is it possible that some productions add it and others don't? I've never seen a production without some form of it.

In the Goodspeed production, Horace got an extra scene at the end where he is fretting and worrying — again no dialogue. I think it might have been added to give Tony Sheldon a little more to do without changing the script. Updated On: 9/1/13 at 09:16 AM

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#17A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 11:25am

Stage Door Sally, that scene with Dolly and Ernestina at the parade was written for the film. It may have been added in other productions but in the script "Miss Money" is a mannequin who is dismantled in front of Horace's horrified eyes as he cries "Put that girl back, I paid for her and I want all the parts." Dolly explains that Ernestina was otherwise engaged lending money to the Mint. In the Cape Cod version the "Miss Money" who appeared in the parade was a tall beautiful blonde woman who exited on a gentleman's arms as Horace cried out "Put that girl back, I paid for her and I want her all to myself".
The scene you mention from the Goodspeed production with Tony Sheldon at the end is also in the script.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#18A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 12:18pm

In Michael Stewart's stage script, there is no mention of Dolly "hiring" Ernestina. It may have been there at one time. If so, it seems to be one of the (several) loose ends the script suffered on the way to New York. In the play script, things seem to happen by chance. Ernest Lehman's screenplay for the film is very careful to have Dolly arrange for EVERYONE to be at the Harmonia Gardens. I think it's a terrific screenplay.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#19A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 1:01pm

Steggert for Barnaby perhaps. Not Cornelius

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 1:26pm

Yeah, in the text, Dolly merely mentions she is setting up Horace with someone, who can be identified by her singing, I believe, "Sweet Rosie O'Grady."

There's no written scene of Dolly hiring Ernestina, but it is certainly implicit.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#21A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 1:40pm

"Have no idea what to think, but this fall some touring production is coming to Proctor's in Schenectady, starring SALLY STRUTHERS.. Now that sounds scary!"

Not at all. Obviously you have never seen her play the role.

Uninformed opinions don't make for good posts.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Stage Door Sally
#22A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 5:24pm

It's interesting to hear the Dolly script may have changed at some point and in some manner. I didn't that and would like to know more.

True, the script has the mannequin (post parade) scene and there is no written stage directions where Dolly hires Ernestina. This is a piece of business though that is added in many productions.

The movie makes the transaction very clear. Since then, many stage versions have added the Dolly hires Ernestina business. Cape Cod did, Goodspeed didn't. Personally, I think it's an important piece of business to show how Dolly arranges things. YMMV.

The Horace scene reads:
ACT TWO
Scene 4
VANDERGELDER’S FEED STORE.

LIGHTS SLOWLY UP, as Feed Store comes down into position. VANDERGELDER is seated on stool.

VANDERGELDER
(Talking to himself)
....And....and I wouldn't marry you, Dolly Levi, if you were the last woman on earth. Not if you asked me a million times. I didn't need you before and I don't need you now. Dolly Levi, you go your way....

(He points)
....And I'll go mine.
(He points in same direction)

In the Goodspeed production Tony Sheldon lingered on stage and walked around using significant facial expressions before and after the dialogue. He extended the scene and made it count. This was an excellent choice because it truly broadened Horace and humanized him. Then again, I think Sheldon overall was pretty darn brilliant.

Dollypop
#23A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 6:30pm

Updated On: 9/1/13 at 06:30 PM

Dollypop
#24A Tale of Two Dollys
Posted: 9/1/13 at 6:31pm

"Dollypop, during the parade number, after Dolly chats with Horace, she goes over to a woman, whispers in her ear, points at her watch, and hands her some cash. The woman nods, laughs and (usually) stuffs the bill in her bosom. The scene was in the Cape Cod production and every version of Dolly I've seen. And that's how Dolly hires Ernestina Money."

That scene is most decidedly NOT in the script. I've seen the show a gazillion times (mostly the Gower Champion staging) and even directed a production of it 'way back when.

Some directors may feel an incredible need to add something there but it doesn't exist either in the script or the director's copy of the libretto.

Videos