pixeltracker

Glass Menagerie first preview - Page 4

Glass Menagerie first preview

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#75Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 3:43pm

I understood that it's not solid after reading this thread; I was just explaining my perspective when I saw the show, without having been told what it was. I couldn't see the ripples from my seat. My point is that from the orchestra (at least from where I was), it's not obvious what the material is.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 6:37pm

Saw this today (from a very nice center orchestra seat purchased day-of at a discount!) and found it totally stunning and beautiful. Hard-pressed to come up with any criticisms- it was moving and gorgeous in every aspect.

The goo was certainly visible from Row F (where I was), but I imagine it's really more effective from the mezz.

Bernadette Peters was also in attendance, so that was neat.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#77Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 7:35pm

I was there this afternoon as well, and I loved it. Tiffany's simultaneously eerie, beautiful, haunting, and ethereal direction is truly the star of this show, which isn't to say that the performers aren't excellent, because they are. I have to admit I was bored senseless by the much buzzed-about Judith Ivey/Roundabout production from a few years back, so I was nervous I would be equally bored here. But thankfully, I was thoroughly riveted. Quinto is an exceptional Tom, Keenan-Bolger is a stunning Laura, Smith is a charming and warm presence as The Gentleman Caller, and one of our great stage actresses, the exceptional Cherry Jones is unsurprisingly brilliant as Amanda. Whizzer hit the nail on the head in saying that the Booth must have some magic in it when it comes to four-person plays, after this and VIRGINIA WOOLF.

I was knocked out by the direction and the set design, as well as the beautiful lighting. I have to admit I wasn't crazy about the bizarre moon-shaped neon light that rose and sunk from the stage floor. And Quinto and Keenan-Bolgers' accents did waver a bit throughout. But for the most part, this is a truly beautiful production that moved me very much. And I hope the instant standing ovation and two curtain calls (the audience probably would have clapped for a third, had the house lights not come up) indicate that audiences are enjoying the show as well. And aside from a phone going off during act one, the audience behavior was great. There were moments when I swear I could've heard a pin drop. This production is chock-full of some truly transcendent moments.

A note about the rush seats...I was seated all the way against the wall, house left, about six or seven rows from the stage. I missed a good chunk of the action in the first act, much of which takes place at the dining room table, which is placed stage right. The rush seats on the left side of the theater are definitely partial view, just FYI. I was able to move to the rear orchestra during the intermission and had a great view from there. So, if you decide to rush, just be prepared to possibly be seated house left, and to miss quite a bit of the action.

Updated On: 9/9/13 at 07:35 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#78Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 7:57pm

I was surprised they didn't fill in the back orchestra with rush this afternoon- the last few rows in the center were sparsely occupied.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#79Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 8:10pm

I thought the same thing, Kad! I'm just glad I wasn't a few rows in front of me (I'd guess Row D) of the orchestra, in the house left obstructed view seats. The seat furthest against the wall in that row was literally facing another wall.

The view from the rear orchestra was great, although I do regret not moving up to the mezzanine to see the show from that vantage point. I was honestly surprised they didn't put the rush seats in the last row of the mezz, where they've been for many of the shows at the Booth.

Oh, and for those wondering, the show is running two hours and thirty-five minutes at this point. The woman at the box office told me beforehand the running time was 2:15, which it definitely isn't. Updated On: 9/8/13 at 08:10 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#80Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 8:18pm

That runtime is also what is displaced on the flat-screens in the lobby.

Did not at all feel that long, though. The pacing is kept up excellently.

chimaera24
#81Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 8:22pm

I saw this afternoon's performance from the mid mezzanine and thought I had the perfect view. I loved the set design and the stage had an appearance of weightlessness. The entire cast put on a great performance.

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#82Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 8:38pm

Seeing it this week. Got a excellent seat. Can't wait.

heytravistravis
#83Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 10:01pm

I saw the show this afternoon (did I really miss Bernadette Peters?!) and unfortunately I didn't have the experience everyone else seems to be talking about.

Without going into cruel details, my main issue is I felt like everyone on stage was "acting" too much; and I was hugely disappointed no one actually went onto the beautiful fire escape.
Going into the theatre I had the highest of expectations, but couldn't get into the production at all.
I'm totally willing to see it again, perhaps after previews, it's great so many people are enjoying it though, that's what matters.

At 12 I ran to the box office right as it was opening and got a student rush ticket, I was last in a pretty long line of students. The box office lady at first gave me a seat way house right, and I heard a lot of the action was stage left, so I asked her to switch it left, no problem. Then as I was entering the house, it turns out she gave me one for the evening show, which I promptly exchanged, and asked again for a house left. I was all the way on the left, but was able to move two seats in.
It was the right move.

Born to speak all mirth and no matter

RentBoy86
#84Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/8/13 at 11:38pm

I think you mean the dinner table is stage RIGHT, but house left. I was sitting house left about mid-way back, and I didn't feel like I missed too much. I'd love to see it again from the Mezz though.

My only problem with the show is I was waiting for it all to come together. Sure, it's all pretty and beautiful and the music is great, but he's done all these tricks before in ONCE - when they go up atop the bar and the city is lit up, or all the choreographed interludes. I was waiting for a "moment" to happen, but it never did. I wasn't a fan of the 'boom' sound at the end either. Also, the candles didn't go out at the end. I hope that's not a spoiler because... well ... it's in the script?

indytallguy
#85Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/9/13 at 6:31am

"and I was hugely disappointed no one actually went onto the beautiful fire escape. "

Isn't it somewhat of a metaphorical element? You can't really escape?

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#86Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:55am

I saw the matinee on Saturday and wasn’t enthralled with it like many other posters were. Yes, it is technically excellent with very creative set design and lighting, and very strong performances. I was somewhat familiar with the story but had not seen a previous production of the play—nor either of the movies. Regretfully, I found the story to be quite unsatisfying and well, just plain dull. Perhaps I’m used to more modern plays with delicious twists and fireworks and I-Never-Saw-That-Coming moments. The Glass Menagerie has none of that. For me (and my partner) it just plodded along and then suddenly ended, leaving us to shrug our shoulders and be thankful our dinner reservation was less than an hour away.

In the end, things previously mentioned on this thread such as the choreographed movements and Laura’s entrance/exit seemed like gimmicks that tried to add interest that the dated script didn’t provide. I will say, however, that the floating concept of the set was visually stunning—especially the way it created a mirror image of everything onstage. The substance, we were warned by the usher who made the same advisory to everyone in the front row, was not to be touched as it would stain both skin and clothing. Which left me worrying for Quinto and Jones--both of who did a fair amount of running back and forth on the two-level set—and for those of us in the front row as well.

6/10 is my take on The Glass Menagerie. After dinner, we saw Big Fish and I’ll report on it separately in its preview thread.

mamaleh
#87Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:35pm

Someone reported they got $59 tickets. Is there a code for that? Thanks!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#88Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 9:12am

I saw the show last night (rush ticket in row E, house right) and it was just beyond words. Everyone here has been much more eloquent in praising the production, so I'll just have to say that I second every word of praise that's been lavished on the production and the actors. Zachary Quinto was my least favorite, however, though that certainly doesn't mean he was anything short of great. I was just so much more moved by Celia Keenan-Bolger and Cherry Jones than by him. I also thought Brian J. Smith had such wonderful chemistry with Keenan-Bolger, and their scene together was beautifully done.

Spoiler? Can there be a spoiler for a 70 year old play?

It wasn't solid — it rippled when an important object was thrown into it late in the second act.

Last night the unicorn actually was bumped off the table and into the water at the climax. Kind of unintended symbolism, I guess.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#89glass menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 10:21am

i know everyone here wants to deep throat spock, but i thought he blew. he had moments, ok, seconds, really, of...something, but he was so overtly performing. it was jarring compared to the other performances. maybe that was a stylistic thing? whatever, i hated it. and really that accent? or absolute lack thereof? it was...disappointing. he's no christian slater, that's for sure.

cherry was gob-smckingly brilliant. she's a national treasure and should be declared as such. she owns that stage. we are lucky to be able to see her in what will assuredly be a tony-award winning performance.

celia and brian are wonderful and their scene sparkles like the menagerie itself.

bob crowley and natasha katz are geniuses. say no more. their world is magical.

but spock...sigh.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Updated On: 9/11/13 at 10:21 AM

#90glass menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 10:35am

Quinto: Such a pretty house, it's a shame no one lives there.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#91Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 10:59am

Someone clearly does live there. That someone just probably redecorated to make it too fancy for when seemingly important and sophisticated company comes over for the first time.

Updated On: 9/11/13 at 10:59 AM

Mark-o
#92Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:14am

Saw the show last night, went in as a skeptic, left a believer!
I'm not a fan of this play, but this was a great production. Everyone did a great job, especially Jones. I really enjoyed Quinto as Tom as well.

Well worth the $58 side mezz seat. Just my 2 cents!

FindingNamo
#93Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:14am

ESPECIALLY Natasha Katz.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

#94Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:19am

Oh Wynbush. Now I have never seen him on stage but on screen he can not act. At all. His "Performances" are all flat, dull and about as dramatic as the Bluebird group reading aloud from popular mechanics.

He was a good Spock- they put his lack of talent to good use.

FindingNamo
#95Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:26am

He was Joe Mantello's equal in Angels in America. I had theretofore not seen anyone do better than get close to Mantallo's remarkable achievement.

papalovesmambo
#96glass menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:30am

namo, separately bob and natasha are geniuses. together? they're like led zeppelin: sons of thunder. something greater than the sum of its parts.

spock, however, was terrible.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#97Glass Menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:32am

Joe, what about American Horror Story: Asylum? Or the scene in the original American Horror Story where he went toe-to-toe with Jessica Lange?

It is definitely my opinion that the man can act, and, granted having not seen this production and probably never will, I wonder if overacting is from just finally being on Broadway, which may settle down over time.

Updated On: 9/11/13 at 11:32 AM

papalovesmambo
#98glass menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:47am

he's not overacting, per se, ugga. glass menagerie first preview and you know there's a huge difference between screen acting and stage acting. he's just...it's like the rest of the cast just is their characters and he's obviously trying to be tom. maybe i am being unfair to him and he will grown into it, but i am simply judging what i saw on the stage last night.

as far as him in ahs? who knows how many takes it took to get there ot what might have spurred it? i wasn't all that moved by him in those and they were quite remniscent of everything else i have seen him do.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

FindingNamo
#99glass menagerie first preview
Posted: 9/11/13 at 11:48am

I totally bought him as the odd man out in that tiny house of oddities.

Videos