Cabaret

Hongus
#1Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:16am

Will Cabaret be considered for the Tonys or not ??
I am sure Ms Williams might be
but doubt Mr Cumming would right ?

Wilmingtom
#2Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:16am

Willams and revival, yes. Cumming, no.

Gothampc
#2Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:30am

Not only will Williams be considered, but she will win. Even if she just sits onstage for two hours, picks her nose and flings it at the audience, she'll win. Because she is exactly the type that the Tony Committee wants to promote and honor.

So if you are a musical actress, forget about Broadway next year because the Tony Committee has already awarded Best Actress.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:32am

Right, because last year's Tony awards were given to Hollywood names like Tracey Letts over hardworking troupers like Tom Hanks!

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Musicaldudepeter
#4Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:52am

With her name and the role I'd also say she's a lock already.

Gothampc
#5Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:52am

Right, because Tracy Letts didn't have a huge movie coming out that the Tony Committee was interested in promoting. Oh wait, yes he did.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#6Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 10:57am

Don't get me wrong, I think she's great for the role. I also think that she could parlay the opportunity into a remake of the movie. If not a theatrical release, then at least a tv version.

Wilmingtom
#7Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:19am

I'm sure Williams will be terrific, but I think I'll hold back on my predictions until I've seen her performance, and those in Big fish, After Midnight, ...Janis Joplin, Beautiful, If/Then, Rocky, Bullets Over Broadway, ...Madison County and the rest.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:21am

Right, because giving Letts a Best Actor Tony is really needed to help promote the star-studded film adaptation of his omni-award winning play.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Gothampc
#9Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:41am

Right, because the Tony Awards aren't like Junior High School where serious consideration is given to every candidate and the honor isn't bestowed for reasons other than merit.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#10Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:44am

I think they were really good with that this year. I feel that the people who deserved to win in the acting categories did (pretty much).

Gothampc
#11Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:08pm

All the Tony darlings backed off this year. Cherry Jones turned down "Hello Dolly" Marcia Gay Harden turned down "Mame" Audra McDonald turned down "House of Flowers" and Angela Lansbury turned down a musical about Grandma Moses.

Lea Michele was going to do "Funny Girl" until Carol Channing called her up and said "Honey, it's been 50 years. The Tony Committee has no use this year for funny Jewish girls."

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#12Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:08pm

If you think the Tony voters gave Letts the Tony to promote the August Osage County movie, you are insane.

#13Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:16pm

Oh we all knew that long ago.

Gothampc
#14Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:18pm

"If you think the Tony voters gave Letts the Tony to promote the August Osage County movie, you are insane."

Because he was so much better than Nathan Lane in The Nance, right?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#15Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 12:54pm

Goth, if you could provide a link to Ann Coulter's insights on Tony committee conspiracies, perhaps Kad and the rest of us might be swayed.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#16Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:06pm

The Tonys - bringing people misery since 1828

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#17Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:10pm

That was the year After Eight lost a ton of money web making a bet with his great granddaughter about who would win Best Actress.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#18Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:13pm

Ah, yes, After Eight's great-granddaughter, After Eleven.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#19Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 1:32pm

"Because he was so much better than Nathan Lane in The Nance, right?"

A case certainly could be made for Lane. I don't think Letts was SO much better than Nathan Lane, though I do think he was better. Regardless of my opinion, other people obviously thought Letts was better. So did you not like Letts' performance?

I would like to meet the person who was not going to see the August Osage County movie, but when it comes out in November, this person will see the name Tracy Letts and remember he won Best Actor and now go see August. THIS PERSON DOES NOT EXIST.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 2:21pm

Wow, there's some crazy people on this board. Connecting Tracy Letts win to his screenwriting credit in a movie that wasn't gonna come out until half a year later is pretty nuts. He gave possibly the best performance by a male I've ever seen on Broadway, it was the stuff theatre legends are made of.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Hongus
#21Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 5:29pm

Idina will win Mr Grief has directed two women to tony victory

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#22Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 5:36pm

Predicting Tonys in September? Who takes that kind of trolling seriously?

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

Hongus
#23Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:09pm

its a bit to early to talk about Idina. I was not wondering if Cabaret will get tonys but if it can get tonys because its the same as the 1998 revival.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#24Cabaret
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:18pm

^ He does make a fair point there. Aside from Williams technically qualifying for a nomination, we've never seen a straight-up revival of a revival before. The Tony Nomination Committee might have a lot to say about that this year.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky