JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 1:40am

What with Zimmerman's staging playing in Huntingon thru 10.13, is there any word as to whether or not we could see this playing over here in the spring?

RW3
#2JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 1:54am

I do think it will come to Broadway, just not this season. For 3 reasons.
1. The spring season is packed with musicals. It wouldn't be fair for such a unique musical get lost with all the other musicals.
2. Personally, I think they need a new costume designer.
3. I think its better for the show to start Off-Broadway and generate some buzz and them move to Broadway. Also, I think the marquee would look great at the Booth.

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 2:02am

The latest word from Disney Theatricals (that I have read) was that they were exploring the possibility of sending the show to Europe or India first.
Playbill article:

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 4:33am

I don't see this finding an audience on Broadway.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

AwesomeDanny
#4JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 10:00am

It needs quite a big of work before considering a Broadway transfer. Visually, the show is beautifully. The show had some big sound issues, but they could be resolved without much difficulty. The cast is, for the most part, turning in spectacular performances, with the exception of the child playing Mowgli. The book needs a rewrite. Mary Zimmerman only does her writing during the rehearsal process, and it shows in this production. It certainly has potential, but this was definitely a first draft.

And I completely disagree with RW3, the costumes in this show were beautiful and worked wonderfully.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 10:23am

earliest would be Fall 2014.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

brldisteach2
#6JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 10:28am

Disney has said they won't put it on Broadway while Lion King is still so popular. They don't want to compete with themselves with two jungle based musicals. (Even if they are jungles on different continents and VERY different stories).

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 7:15pm

They did it with Tarzan

Poster Emeritus

ghostlight2
#8JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/7/13 at 7:22pm

"And I completely disagree with RW3, the costumes in this show were beautiful and worked wonderfully."

Agree completely with AwesomeDanny's post - except one thing - I thought Baloo's costume was awful. I saw what they were going for, but it didn't work at all for me. I thought the rest were wonderfully and simply evocative without being precious - and I adored the bald butterfly.

Dave516
#9JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 12:57am

And look how Tarzan worked out for them. They are not going to make that same mistake twice.

RentBoy86
#10JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 1:10am

I think they should partner with the Public and do the show downtown to get some "cool factor" and generate some buzz.

I heard one of the cast members discussing it on the subway a few weeks ago and she said that they were awaiting the reviews from the Huntington run, and if they were favorable then a transfer would happen. She also said that Disney is sort of vague about it. They gave them some money for the production, but it's not technically a "disney presents" production.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#11JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 9:18am

"And look how Tarzan worked out for them. They are not going to make that same mistake twice."

There were much bigger problems with Tarzan than just that it ran alongside the Lion King.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#12JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 9:23am

I'm on a bus right now on my way to see the matinee. I'm actually really excited!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#13JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 10:34am

Obviously the comparisons to The Lion King have been and are going to continue to be inevitable, but it is really nothing like The Lion King. Unfortunately I can see the assumption that they are similar leading to unwanted competition between the two if it were to transfer to Broadway, but my God, they really are so, so different.

I love The Lion King and get weepy any time I see it (or even just the puppets out of context). I saw The Jungle Book in Chicago and it. is. stunning. Needs some work in certain areas, but I was speechless -- it's theatrical in ways that The Lion King is not (no offense meant to The Lion King, it's just a different approach), and surprising in all the right places. I wish this production a great future, whatever that turns out to be.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 9/8/13 at 10:34 AM

Jonwo
#14JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 3:17pm

I thought they want to license it out as a substitute to The Lion King since they're not planning to license.

RentBoy86
#15JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 10:33pm

Whizizer - thoughts?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 11:29pm

it's believed that the cast has it in their contracts that they will transfer with the show when it moves to Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RentBoy86
#17JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/8/13 at 11:32pm

How have the reviews been? From the looks of it, it doesn't "scream" Broadway to me. It seems too small, but maybe it could work.

kevers22
#18JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 12:01am

ACL2006, that is categorically untrue.

WhizzerMarvin
#19JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 12:06am

I'm just getting home...it really takes a lot out of you making the round trip to Boston in the same day.

This was my first time going to the Huntington Theatre and it was more intimate than I expected the space to be given the scope of the production.

Overall I thought it was very uneven; lots of interesting ideas and some promising stuff, but there was just as much bad as good.

I liked the concept for the music/orchestrations: the orchestra is half jazz combo-half authentic Indian instruments. You don't lose the swing of "I Wanna Be Like You" and "The Bare Necessities," but you also have an added layer atmosphere that wasn't in the animated film.

The greatest asset of this production is Andre De Shields. He is completely stealing the show as King Louie and "I Wanna Be Like You" is miles above any other sequence in the show. The number is the act one closer and it hit me with such surprise and glee that I was ready to stand up and start dancing. The entire show needs to be brought up to this level.

I liked many of the costumes (the monkeys and the vultures were my favorites), but a few of them SUCKED. Baloo needs a new costume immediately. Like at the next performance. Kaa's costume was very bland and could be re-imagined too.

The story is somewhat weak because of its episodic nature. Mowgli goes from animal to animal, sharing a book scene and then listening to a song. There aren't really any stakes for the boy and his journey feels aimless.

The kid who played Mowgli was cute, even if he wasn't the greatest actor. (He doesn't have a song so I can't comment on his singing voice. I think it would be wise to write a number or two for him.) There is an ick factor with the young boy, and they either should re-costume him or think about casting a slightly older actor because as it stands there is an unintentionally pedophile vibe to the character. This little boy is running around in his underwear as a series of older men tell him to trust them and go away with them.

I was not taken with many of the actors, and I think they need to do some recasting if this production continues. I know it's a try-out and the actors are still finding their way, but there were some really weak voices and lots of very amateurish acting going on. It hindering my liking of the show a lot.

The climax of the fight between Shere Khan and Mowgli/Baloo needs to be re-staged. Shere Khan in general is played a poor man's Scar and I think the character should be scarier and more evil than his Lion King counterpart.

I'm glad this wasn't a Bombay Dreams redux, but I think it's a wasted opportunity to not have one nod to Bollywood, especially at the curtain call. The choreography has plenty of room to be tweaked too. Sometimes it's on target and a lot of fun. Other times it feels less than inspired (The Bare Necessities) and Gattelli could punch it up.

I'm glad I went and saw it, but there is so much work that still needs to be done before it's ready for Broadway. I think there is the potential for The Jungle Book to be one of the best Disney stage shows ever if the necessary work is done. I wish the creative team the best.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 9/9/13 at 12:06 AM

carajoy
#20JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 12:46am

I actually came to this board tonight just to see Jungle Book posts, so I'm happy to find one. I saw the show in Chicago and plan to go back to Boston. I'm interested in what you said about Mowgli. What gave it that vibe to you? Just the costume or the way people were handling him? I'm just curious because no one I spoke to who saw it in Chicago had that (and I did not either), so I'm wondering if it's a change or just something that hit you a specific way.
My Huff Po JB in Chicago Story

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 6:31am

How can you have a Jungle Book musical, but no songs written for Mowgli?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

WhizzerMarvin
#22JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 7:56am

Neither of the two main characters, Mowgli and Bagheera, have any songs. Bagheera carries the bulk of the book, but it's a big mistake to not let the two of them sing. There are many opportunities for duets, whether they be touching, comic or argumentative.

carajoy, It was a combination of everything that made me view Mowgli that way. After watching Olivia and Elliot take down so many Jerry Sanduskys over the years I found it difficult not to let my mind go there. Here is a very cute, unassuming, naive boy in his underwear, surrounded by older men with ulterior motives demanding that he come with them.

Look at the lyrics to "Trust in Me:"

Trust in Me, just in me
Shut your eyes and trust in me
You can sleep safe and sound
Knowing I am around

Slip into silent slumber
Sail on a silver mist
Slowly and surely your senses
Will cease to resist.

Kaa needs to be played carefully and the song needs to be staged in a way that shows he wants to kill the boy and not fondle him.

I would completely re-stage "Trust in Me" and work a giant snake, akin to a Chinese dragon you see in parades, on to the stage.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#23JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:26am

Seeing it tomorrow night. Always enjoy Whizzer's reviews, I will post my thoughts on Wednesday

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24JUNGLE BOOK B'way Transfer?
Posted: 9/9/13 at 11:49am

but I think it's a wasted opportunity to not have one nod to Bollywood, especially at the curtain call.

There was one. It was the curtain call. Guess it's gone.

A work of art is an invitation to love.