pixeltracker

Best Show to See Multiple Times??- Page 2

Best Show to See Multiple Times??

Comden Green Profile Photo
Comden Green
#25Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 3:21pm

I have only seen a few more than once. mostly they aren't as "magical" the second time. two exceptions - book of Mormon and peter and the starcatcher.

FindingNamo
#26Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 3:25pm

Sleep
No
More

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#27Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 3:28pm

It's a matter of personal taste. There are shows I have had no problem seeing several times (Ragtime comes to mind), then there are others where once is enough (Book of Mormon).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#28Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 3:43pm

I've only seen one show four times: HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH.

Twice at the Westbeth and then twice at the Jane Street. It was a show that always held something new for me.

As for different productions of the same property, it's GYPSY. I first encountered the show starring Tyne Daly when I was 15. It was an entirely different piece when I encountered it at 30 and then 35. Even watching the Midler movie recently (which I disliked when I was in college, but love now), I find that it speaks to me deeply.

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#29Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 3:57pm

Saw Pippin twice (once with Patina, and once with Stephanie Pope). So much happening onstage, I enjoyed seeing it again. Saw original cast of Book of Mormon and going to see the tour here in Ft. Lauderdale in November. Taking friends who have never seen it, so that should be entertaining as well.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#30Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 4:14pm

Updated On: 10/24/13 at 04:14 PM

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#31Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 4:22pm

Forbidden Broadway!

Multiple viewings of A Chorus Line, Chicago, Dancin, Hair, Grease, Godspell, Sweeney Todd, Gypsy, In the Heights, Into the Woods, Sleep No More, a Little Night Music, Follies, Pacific Overtures, Rocky Horror, Billy Elliott, Drood, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Anything Goes, Little Shop of Horrors, Nicholas Nickleby, Merrily We Roll Along,The Divine Sister, Equus, Die Mommy Die, Falsettos, Spamalot, Hairspray, Bombay Dreams, La Cage aux Folles, Naked Boys Singing, Wicked, Avenue Q, Urinetown, Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe, Tommy, Les Miserables, cats and Evita...each show from two to five times.

Matt1
#32Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/24/13 at 7:00pm

In the past Billy Elliot and now Matilda.

Wilmingtom
#33Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 1:59am

A show you don't really get the first time. You just might learn something the second time.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#34Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 12:24pm

Ones that have good music. For me, I've seen Mamma Mia 21 times, Rent and Wicked about 6 times each, and am seeing Les Miserables next month for about the 4th time. If I walk out of a show not singing the songs in my head, then I have no interest seeing it a second time.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#35Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 1:52pm

I have to say Rocky Horror, because even if the play onstage doesn't evolve much, the audience participation does. This is my tenth year in an annual stage production (I currently hold the record for most roles played- Ensemble, Narrator, Riff Raff and currently Brad), and every year the audience callbacks retain the old classics but add updated ones with pop cultural or politics references that weren't around last year. You can always tell the people who learned all the callbacks from the Seventies and haven't changed, but one of the biggest joys is hearing a callback I originated many years ago ("Ladies and gentlemen, Diana Ross!" "Anal sex with an elephant!" "Put on Glee!") become an audience standard that everyone shouts out.

In fact, one locally-oriented callback that really shows its age and has changed with time is the response to "what diabolical scheme has seized Frank's crazed imagination-" usually a reference to a musical we all hope wouldn't ever exist. My first year in the show, the callback then was "High School Musical 2!"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#36Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 6:04pm

I've seen Les Miserables 14 times. So...that one.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#37Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 6:16pm

Billy Elliot is the show I have seen the most, 10 times in all, the choreography is excellent and therefore warrants seeing many times.

musicman_bwayfan
#38Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/25/13 at 8:01pm

I honestly don't know how they did it, but there were 4 people around the age of 19 or 20 who'd get rush tickets in the exact same seats each time 5 times a week for Legally Blonde it's entire run. They were on a first name basis with the cast and went backstage to visit them each night. I remember the doorman telling me that when they went downstairs and we had to wait about an hour for them to come back up...he doesn't work there anymore I don't think, but he was a practicing psychiatrist who when he wasn't seeing patients, would work at the Palace for fun. I'd be curious to see what he thought of people seeing the show that many times.

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#39Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/27/13 at 3:22pm

PIPPIN

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#40Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/27/13 at 3:59pm

I live in LA & don't have a variety of shows to choose from but when a tour comes I try to see it at least once each week it's here. Updated On: 11/8/13 at 03:59 PM

Hank
#41Best Show to See Multiple Times?
Posted: 10/27/13 at 6:04pm

It's interesting to see the shows that get mentioned multiple times. Obviously a lot of them are cult classics.

Rocky Horror, of course, this being the Halloween season. (btw I really enjoyed the Bucks County production, very different from the 2001 Broadway version, except for Kevin Cahoon, then a phantom, now he's Frank).

Billy Elliot I'm a bit surprised to see mentioned so many times. I thought I was the only one. I've seen it in NY twice (early preview and soon after opening), London, Toronto, and the national tour in Tempe, AZ.

Thoroughly Modern Millie, at the final performance I mentioned to the usher that this was our seventh time, she introduced us to another couple that have been there seventy times. I also recognized some of the flapper girls in the front row.