pixeltracker

I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight- Page 3

I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight

FindingNamo
#50I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 10:41am

double post

ps, it turns out the woman playing the youngest daughter had a kidney transplant last April.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 12/5/13 at 10:41 AM

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#51I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 12:11pm

i thought the show was hilarious!

Phil wiping his face with the cat
Cam going nuts on the sidelines
Phil saying how his favorite redhead once sang "The Sun Will Come Out Tommorrow"... and that plucky redhead was Mitchell. i almost peed my pants.

Claire is annoying though, if she wanted her coworkers to treat her like everyone else, she shouldnt be calling the CEO "DAD"!!! When i intern at my Dads company durning the summer i called him by his name. even Sir would serve her better.

NAMO, You need to check your facts again. The older sister had the kidney transplant

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

brdlwyr
#52I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 12:16pm

15? Hope that she is not pregnant. The oldest daughter does red carpet shows. I think she has Type I diabetes.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#53I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 12:47pm

I don't think she is. I remember reading last year that there was lots of family drama, and that she eventually left her mother's house and is under the custodial care of her sister, or something. And I think mom's been suing for custody periodically.

Normal teen stuff is bad enough; add to it the stress of being famous AND legal wrangling, and it's not surprising if there are some eating issues. (And I'm glad she's not starving herself.)

brdlwyr
#54I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 12:54pm

I raised two teen daughters - I know stress and drama!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#55I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 3:04pm

Sorry but this thread has jumped the shark, all sitcoms have a few dodgy episodes, I think this one is holding up far better than most. And as for Luke on the last episode and even using the word homophobia......give me a break, maybe the charachters didn't pull him on it because nothing happened what would require it.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Reginald Tresilian
#56I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 3:15pm

Sorry the thread upsets you, but I'm not sure what's wrong with discussing what some have found to be disappointing episodes.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#57I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 3:38pm

Nothing is upsetting me and discussing episodes ain't the problem, but to say they show had jumped the shark and is over (I know you didn't say that) is so OTT

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

FindingNamo
#58I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 3:41pm

The "I think" in the title was supposed to make it abundantly clear that it was MY OPINION, in my thread.

Unfortunately, it is an opinion that has been supported by subsequent sub-par episodes.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#59I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 4:26pm

in my opinion, if there was one show that should not be attacked by the ultra-PC crowd of being homophobic of any kind its this one. I mean seriously its a comedy, not a documentry

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

Liza's Headband
#60I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 4:42pm

Namo, I'm sure he wouldn't mind as much if we were spending so much time discussing Madonna or Lady Gaga or something else instead. Whatever.

"ps, it turns out the woman playing the youngest daughter had a kidney transplant last April."

Actually, it's Sarah Hyland (who plays older daughter Haley). She battles kidney dysplasia. You may notice that her face appeared to be a bit bloated and skin tone slightly different at the end of last season. That is partially due to the disorder.

Reginald Tresilian
#61I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 4:50pm

I agree that a couple of iffy episodes doesn't equal jumping the shark.

FindingNamo
#62I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 5:45pm

Maybe the past few episodes have been disjointed because tegu removed connective scenes with the awful nanny? That I could support.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#63I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 6:53pm

"Is the actress playing the youngest daughter pregnant? "

No, but she did come back with some HUGE boobs and they didn't know what to do with her, so they are putting baggy sweaters on her to cover her up.

She can't be sexier than her slutty sister!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theaternut Profile Photo
theaternut
#64I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 12/5/13 at 7:11pm

Luke makes the show for me.

Liza's Headband
#65I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 4:30pm

But in all seriousness, has it jumped? Even as a diehard fan I thought Wednesday night's episode was a snoozefest.

ETA: As the season goes on, the writing becomes more and more disjointed Updated On: 1/10/14 at 04:30 PM

bobs3
#66I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 5:04pm

Wow! It is amazing how Manny and Luke have grown over this season. They are both taller and have deeper voices and Alex is growing some big boobs and Lily is losing her baby teeth. I feel so much older than since the show began. I hope they bring back Alex's "gay boyfriend" Michael this season. He was hilarious.

Reginald Tresilian
#67I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 5:07pm

It's still the only sitcom I watch every week.

I agree about Alex's "boyfriend"! My other favorite guest is Cam's mom.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#68I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 5:17pm

I will admit that I still watch the show but it hasn't been that great the last couple of seasons. However, I think people are not using the term "jumping the shark" correctly. Yes, it deals with a decline in quality but the crux of the term comes from the show using a gimmick to gain viewer's interest. I don't think Modern Family has done this yet. Some classic examples include Roseanne when the Conners won the lottery, Married with Children when they suddenly had Seven or the original random new child…Cousin Oliver on the Brady Brunch.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#69I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 7:08pm

Clyde, I think that's a fair point.

I've never been a massive Modern Family fan, but am a casual viewer, so keep that in mind. For me the show seems in a rut--and, as when that happens on many shows, the show's humour feels more shrill to me (though often still funny) than it once did.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#70I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 7:29pm

The term "jump the shark" comes from an episode of Happy Days. Toward the end of the series run when ratings were declining, they decided to it give the show a PR boost by having Fonzie water ski jump over a shark as a stunt. It didn't help.

Clyde's description is correct. But this is where the term came from, specifically.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#71I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/10/14 at 7:42pm

But the "studio audience" loved it!! Oh Gary Marshall...

(And check out Fonzie's shorts...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZGKI8vpcg

Of course a year and a half after Jaws, but...

Jon
#72I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/12/14 at 12:43pm

Henry Winkler blames his mother, who made a point of telling Garry Marshall that her son could water ski, and that they should use that in an episode some day.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#73I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/16/14 at 3:10pm

Last night was such a *yawn*...

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

#74I think Modern Family jumped the shark tonight
Posted: 1/16/14 at 3:17pm

I thought last night was right back on track- especially with Alex & her stress issues. I though they handled that perfectly- from Alex researching & booking her own therapist to trying to run the appointment to her breakdown at the end.