pixeltracker

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?- Page 22

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

Gothampc
#525What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 9:28am

I guess that's what I don't understand. What public appearances does the star make? It's not like they're cutting ribbons at shopping malls. I can understand them wanting to be on Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, but it really doesn't seem like they would have the star making appearances anymore than six weeks before the air date. If people see the star on David Letterman three months before the show, they're going to forget about it. Does publicity with the star need to start before say Oct 1? And these shows are already part of the American Theater canon. It's not like they can't figure out what number they want to showcase on the Thanksgiving Day Parade or the Rockefeller Tree Lighting.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 12/16/13 at 09:28 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#526What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 9:51am

Did you watch any of the pre-publicy for the show?

She sat in on all the casting sessions for the children (which was filmed for a making-of special), she recorded several songs in advance for promos (video and audio), and she was on talk shows (radio and TV).

The difference is that with a film or TV show, the show is "in the can first" before the publicity push starts. Just like now with Into the Woods, filming is done. Six months from now, the cast will all start the publicity stuff.

With a live event, the publicity is done simultaneously with the rehearsals and the telecast. So they have to allow extra time for that. It's not just "rehearse the show and do it" then "promote it." Carrie had to go back and forth between the two, so that's why they had a longer period with her involvement.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/16/13 at 09:51 AM

Gothampc
#527What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 9:57am

"Did you watch any of the pre-publicy for the show?"

Honestly, I tend to ignore stuff like that. It never hits my radar unless it's really high profile.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#528What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 11:06am

I have to say, NBC's casting strategy was more complicated than "one or two stars and a bunch of Broadway folks." Carrie and Stephen Moyer are the big draws, but we can't discount the fact that Audra McDonald is MUCH more of a television celebrity than just a Broadway star, thanks to Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice. And the three main Broadway supporting leads that keep popping up in these discussions, Megan Hilty, Christian Borle and Laura Benanti, have NBC ties that may not be as significant as their Broadway credentials, but it's not like NBC just picked the three best performers on Broadway. NBC probably has contracts with these performers and has worked with them enough to keep them around.

nasty_khakis
#529What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/16/13 at 11:18am

People also need to realize that a LOT of the casting comes down to the network connections. People like Darren Criss/Lea Michelle have (probably) exclusive contracts to FOX. Even if they would be perfect for a role and it didn't conflict with a shooting schedule, I doubt they'd be allowed by their Network. Same goes for Jim Parsons/CBS, etc etc

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#530What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/21/13 at 4:12pm

From Twitter:

Ariana Grande @ArianaGrande 28m
just got the most exciting news.. I'm in tears! 2014 is going to be the most fun yet. many surprises in store for y'all get ready !!!

Hmmm...

Updated On: 12/21/13 at 04:12 PM

Liza's Headband
#531What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/21/13 at 4:29pm

How do we know that the news has anything at all to do with this? I don't get it.

JohnyBroadway
#532What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/21/13 at 7:09pm

For a project that just got started two weeks ago, I doubt Ariana's announcement has anything to do with it. They haven't even secured a project, let alone started casting.

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#533What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/21/13 at 8:27pm

I hope that their next live broadcast would be The King and I with Brian Stokes
Mitchell as the King of Siam and Idina Menzel as Anna Leonowens.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#534What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/21/13 at 9:26pm

"For a project that just got started two weeks ago, I doubt Ariana's announcement has anything to do with it. They haven't even secured a project, let alone started casting."

But didn't they know they wanted to do something with Carrie Underwood since the very beginning? Maybe they are doing that with Ariana and building everything around her.

Liza's Headband
#535What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 12:07am

Why would they build a multi-million dollar broadcast around someone who is pretty much an 'unknown' when compared to all of the television, film, and music superstars out there? Keep dreaming...

JohnyBroadway
#536What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 1:47am

Besides Cinderella, Ariana does not fit the bill for any other show.

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#537What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 1:57am

I think there must have been a misunderstanding. Ariane Grande is not the same Ariane from the sound of music, since I looked it up on twitter.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#538What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 2:02am

I hope that their next live broadcast would be The King and I with Brian Stokes

Yes! Let's have a non-Asian in 2013 play the role of the king of Siam! Why not, right?

And there's no way they aren't building the next special (which is bound to be based on a show much less popular than THE SOUND OF MUSIC) around a big star.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#539What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 7:33am

Who is Ariana Grande?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#540What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 8:21am

She's a Nickelodeon Station star, with a pop music crossover. Teens seem to love her. Pretty sure she was in 13.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#541What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 8:40am

I would guess that people outside of the teen and early 20s crowd have no idea who she is. They need someone (like Carrie Underwood) who is recognizable to all demographics, not just one group.

JohnyBroadway
#542What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 8:43am

Ariana was a co-star on a nick sitcom and in the OBC of 13. She's a def pop star with a Musical theatre background, but I doubt they would build a project around her due to limited roles. Besides a show like Cinderella, which I feel she's still to young.

Updated On: 12/22/13 at 08:43 AM

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#543What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 9:01am

I wouldn't say "pop", more of R&B/throwback 90's feel. Her album sold at #1 on the charts, and critics compare her voice and musicality to Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston.

But since she is a up and coming "superstar", I wouldn't think she would play a lead role in a broadcast. Updated On: 12/22/13 at 09:01 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#544What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 9:35am

She would be a big asset to a live musical, but not a great choice to carry it. They need someone with broader appeal.

smallvillefan16
#545What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 10:59am

Ariana Grande has pipes like no tomorrow. I would be ecstatic to see her in a musical. I don't know if she has the 'star appeal' to lead the project. She could easily be third billing.

bwayobsessed
#546What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 12:20pm

What if Ariana was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz? I can see her fitting the role well, listen to her in 13, she has an amazing voice, just because it's hidden behind annoying pop songs, does not mean it's not there. While I LOVE Wizard of Oz, it wouldn't be my first choice for them to make, but (like sound of music), the MGM movie version has not been remade, it is a movie that seems impossible to remake, it is a "family" musical, and it would definitely draw viewers.

Liza's Headband
#547What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 1:07pm

For the last time, NBC is not going to center the broadcast around Ariana Grande.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#548What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/22/13 at 4:52pm

Yes! Let's have a non-Asian in 2013 play the role of the king of Siam! Why not, right?

Right. But I think THE KING AND I poses problems no matter how it is cast. The basic story is how a Westerner brings enlightened social and political values to the Asian barbarian--and that's a sensitive issue no matter who plays the King.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#549What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 5:42pm

I've heard on good word that Cinderella is one of those 3 on the list and a big name has already been approached to be the Fairy Godmother.

Videos