pixeltracker

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?- Page 6

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#125What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 12:53am

CINDERELLA-
Sarah Bolger as Cinderella
Danell Leyva as Prince Christopher
Deborah Cox as The Fairy Godmother
Joely Richardson as The Stepmother
Elizabeth Gillies and Bridgit Medler as The Stepsisters
Scott Baio as The King
Natalie Toro as The Queen

AwesomeDanny
#126What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 12:54am

I would love for this to be the Anne Hathaway/Colin Firth My Fair Lady directed by Bartlett Sher.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#127What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:15am

This would actually be the perfect outlet for a Bette Midler "Mame" or "Hello, Dolly" because she said she is nervous about doing 8 performances a week. Give her one night only and she will be all set.

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#128What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:26am

Cinderella does seen an obvious choice but the stage production is still pretty new and doing good business (right?). Does it make much business sense broadcast a live Cinderella now as opposed to a few years down the road when ticket sales have slumped?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#129What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:27am

As much as I'd love to see her do it, I suspect the audience for Bette Midler in HELLO DOLLY would be be somewhat limited (gays, women over 60 and who else?)

Unless they had Katy Perry or someone with a younger fan base playing the role, I can't imagine something like MAME or DOLLY is going to be brought back to TV at this point. I mean those shows are SO old fashioned and not nearly as beloved as something like THE SOUND OF MUSIC.
Updated On: 12/7/13 at 01:27 AM

SweeneyLovett Profile Photo
SweeneyLovett
#130What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:38am

I think a Hello Dolly or Mame could work if they peppered the supporting cast with some big names.

I personally think How To Succeed sounds like a GREAT idea! Cinderella would work, too.

I'd really love to see Follies, Sweeney Todd, or Gypsy - Streisand can make her version that way.

SidebySidebyLogan
#131What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 2:41am

I'll take Katy Perry as Irene if that means we get Bette as Dolly.

I can't believe I was able to type that sentence without any violent hand spasms, vomiting, or attempts at self harm... But I want a Bette Midler Dolly damn it!

Unrelated: Anyone think Audra could pull off an Emmy nomination for Supporting actress in a miniseries/movie? Apologies if it's been asked in another thread. Just popped into my head

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#132What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 3:28am

^ As far as Audra goes, it might be a long shot. But so many people saw the program, so who knows. It would certainly help her chances if she got a SAG Award or a Globe. [ETA: Nominations for both awards are due December 9th], but cross your fingers for her on the 11th (SAG nominations announcement) and 12th (GG nominations announcement).

Updated On: 12/7/13 at 03:28 AM

SidebySidebyLogan
#133What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 4:07am

The Globes don't separate Supporting performances, so actors from miniseries, TV movies, comedy series, and drama series are all fighting for 6 spots. She's all but assured not to get in there. The SAGs don't do supporting awards in the regular television categories but I don't recall if they do have a supporting field for miniseries/movie. Neither seem likely but we can hope :)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#134What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 8:07am

Doing H2$ with Daniel Radcliffe seems like the best and most viable idea to come out do this thread. Having thoroughly enjoyed him in the role on Broadway, I would be very excited to see him play Finch again. There's also a lot of great supporting roles you could fill with other names. And Radcliffe seems like the type of actor who wouldn't be turned off by the risk of doing it live.

KathyNYC2
#135What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 9:23am

I personally love the idea of How to Succeed with Daniel R - but I am not so sure this is what NBC will be looking for. If they are going to want some family entertainment to present at the holidays, corruption in the business world no matter how funny and clever as it's presented is not the message you want to showcase this time of year. Scheme and connive and you win..and Happy Holidays to you too. LOL

I agree a musical that has such a beloved film counterpart is a hard road to tread. That might make Grease a bad choice too. (and I am not a huge Grease fan regardless).

Kids and Kid friendly, uplifting ending.. is key if you want big family ratings. I don't think you have to go all the way to Cinderella - though it's lovely and I wouldn't mind it - but somewhere more in the middle at least. NBC will be looking for a show that will be appealing to middle America, while also attracting the theater crowd as well...and showcase a good message...

Liza's Headband
#136What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 9:48am

The "theater crowd" is already drawn in simply by virtue of what NBC will be doing. They are not picking a show based on what they think draws in the industry people and theatre fans. I will say it again: they are trying to pick up those Middle America viewers who would otherwise not tune in. That's really it.

So, something like a CINDERELLA or PETER PAN does make the most sense. Even OLIVER! might work. You will not be seeing a show like MAME or HELLO, DOLLY.

KathyNYC2
#137What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 10:07am

^^I agree with you for the most part. But I do think that they are thinking of the "theater crowd and industry people" too, as they are often not regular watchers of NBC mainstream TV and might focus more on cable shows or more progressive edgy material. NBC wants those viewers back on a more regular basis.

Yes middle America and a good message is key as we both noted..but I think if NBC is smart, they will cater to as many voices as possible.

Liza's Headband
#138What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 10:26am

I'm sure some will disagree but I do not think it matters what show they do with respect to the theatre crowd. Those people will tune in simply because it's a live stage musical being broadcast on national television. No matter what the show is. Color me crazy, but that demographic is not NBC's priority. At all.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#139What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 10:49am

To my previously suggested Dolly cast of Reba, Benanti (Irene) and Boyd Gaines (Horace), I'll add Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cornelius.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#140What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 12:34pm

Evita!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#141What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:06pm

You have to picture parents sitting down to watch it with six-year-olds.

Evita? Sweeney Todd?

Mame and Hello Dolly! would likely put them to sleep.

Kids like to see things with kids in them. Or fairy tales. Or both. They can be dark, and they don't have to be "children's theatre," but something like How To Succeed isn't going to keep the wee ones awake or engaged.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#142What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:07pm

Yes, I am sure the wee ones were thoroughly engaged by Christian Borle and Laura Benanti talking about how much one can capitulate to the Third Reich.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#143What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:07pm

I know I mentioned Follies earlier, and that's probably the only way to bypass being worried about young viewers. If you made it an all-star deal. I mean, like TEN stars. Not one or two in the leads. Then you might get enough adults to tune in without worrying about their six-year-old's attention span.

Updated On: 12/7/13 at 01:07 PM

smallvillefan16
#144What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:08pm

Everyone seems to be listing musicals that do NOT have the big family appeal that the network is going for. What family would have a bunch of kids sit around and watch "Evita"? The show needs to be familiar to ALL audiences [SoM is known by all; regardless of the differences between the film and show]. I could easily see them doing "Grease" or "Bye, Bye Birdie". I think it would be smart to do a LIVE production of 'A Christmas Story: The Musical" it has a title known by many, and it a family-friendly fun show. But, who knows…maybe they'll end up doing something crazy?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#145What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:09pm

Yes, I am sure the wee ones were thoroughly engaged by Christian Borle and Laura Benanti talking about how much one can capitulate to the Third Reich.

This may be a shock to you, Kad, but there are children in the Sound of Music.

And kids like the Sound of Music. They want to know what happens to the kids.

EDIT: And like I just said, it doesn't have to be children's theatre.

I still think Oliver! is the best choice next.

Updated On: 12/7/13 at 01:09 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#146What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:23pm

Yes, Besty, I am aware of the kids in the Sound of Music.

But to say it's somehow more captivating to kids than the fast-paced, colorful silliness of Hello Dolly is just a stretch.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#147What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:42pm

A friend at the network says it will likely be PETER PAN. Top of the list at the moment.

Liza's Headband
#148What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 1:49pm

That does make a lot of sense, MB.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#149What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/7/13 at 2:30pm

Borle can play hook again. No role for Benanti. What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?