Legally Blonde MTV Recording

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#1Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/29/13 at 3:22pm

Was the recording on MTV ever released on DVD?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/29/13 at 3:32pm

No

matttaylorr021 Profile Photo
matttaylorr021
#2Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/29/13 at 3:58pm

The entire thing is on YouTube though.

Liza's Headband
#3Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/29/13 at 4:02pm

^ What they both said.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#4Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:31am

I always kinda wondered why not, but like everyone else said. Of course both the sing along and regular version of the airing is available unofficially(bootleg) but it seems that it would have been a LITTLE bit cheaper for them to release this show on DVD since it was already filmed and all.

Darreyl with an L!

Liza's Headband
#5Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 11:43am

Not cost effective if there's not a market for it.

I'm assuming they thought there wasn't a large enough market for the expense of producing & distributing physical copies. Even though the content had already been created, it's still an expensive risk (of some extent) to actually sell the filmed content.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 12:58pm

From what I understand, the real cost would be in going back and redoing all the contracts so that all the unions involved are satisfied since the original contracts were only negotiated for a single television airing (and one or two encores) and not a physical DVD release. They would have to go back and pay all the actors, musicians and crew their earnings for a DVD distribution.

I have heard people say that the original contracts did, indeed, include the possibility of a DVD release, but I'm not sure who is telling the truth.

willrogers2008
#7Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 1:45pm

Youtube has the full show.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#8Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 9:17pm

Yes, but the versions on YouTube are poor quality. Some people may want to actually what the MTV airing in reasonably more HD quality.

Darreyl with an L!

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#9Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 9:43pm

I had a copy of it that I taped via VHS, but my sister borrowed it and never gave it back. That said, I wish a DVD had been released.

Liza's Headband
#10Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/30/13 at 10:02pm

"Yes, but the versions on YouTube are poor quality. Some people may want to actually what the MTV airing in reasonably more HD quality."

Okay... And what would you like us to do about it?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#11Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 10:59am

Let's start a petition! That always works!

CATSNYrevival
#12Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 2:35pm

There is a great high quality copy floating around in the trading community. It has a nice menu screen and the commercials are edited out, but it still has those pesky MTV advertisements scrolling in the corner occasionally which were present on the broadcast.

jimmycurry01
#13Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 2:37pm

If you know how to work the google, you should be able to find some very fine copies on DVD.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#14Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 4:21pm

I bought my copy on DVD for like $8. It is great quality.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#15Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 5:01pm

I have a DVD recorder (positioned between my DVR and TV), and made my own DVD of this (edited for commercials).

eatlasagna
#16Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 5:28pm

I'd rather have the DVD version of South Pacific and Light in the Piazza made before Legally Blonde...

CATSNYrevival
#17Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 5:32pm

^The Australian cast of South Pacific was filmed for DVD release. I haven't heard anything about it since.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#18Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 6:17pm

What I am saying is that just because the show is on YouTube doesn’t mean people wouldn’t want it on DVD. I don’t need you to do anything about it! LOL I have the show on DVD and in fact, am a big trader. Like I said in my first post, there is both a sing along version and a non sing-along version floating around- I have both. People were bringing up the fact that it is on YouTube, but if someone wants to view a good quality version, that ain’t the route

Darreyl with an L!

Liza's Headband
#19Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 12/31/13 at 10:09pm

Ok.

Theater'sBestFriend
#20Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:54am

"I'm assuming they thought there wasn't a large enough market for the expense of producing & distributing physical copies."

You might want to think again. Read today's article in the NY Times about Asian tours of Broadway shows -- including Legally Blonde -- first. The decision not to release an official DVD makes complete sense.

NY Times on Broadway in Asia (including Legally Blonde)

Liza's Headband
#21Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 1/1/14 at 11:09am

Unless I completely missed something, all that tells me is that the musical was well received in Korea. Great.

It doesn't show me a clear, carved out market of American consumers for the DVD nor does it even begin to justify the expenses of said DVD distribution. What does this have to do with the LEGALLY BLONDE television broadcast?

Theater'sBestFriend
#22Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 1/1/14 at 11:18am

L'sHB, the concept is that Korean productions of Broadway shows can be a gateway to subsequent productions and tours in Japan, Indochina, China, and elsewhere (including Legally Blonde, especially given its success in Korea). These are potentially enormous markets. That's the whole point of the article, and why Korean producers want to have relationships on Broadway.

A high quality, official DVD might undermine future Asian ticket sales. It also might have undermined ticket sales of the London production, which won the Olivier, which enhances the show's desirability. Those would be two reasons not to release one.

Updated On: 1/1/14 at 11:18 AM

Liza's Headband
#23Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 1/1/14 at 12:47pm

You're really really stretching, seeing as this trend is fairly recent and the broadcast was from, what, 2008? I quite honestly don't think the sale of a Legally Blonde musical DVD in America will undermine Asian ticket sales. Do you actually feel that way?

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#24Legally Blonde MTV Recording
Posted: 1/1/14 at 12:54pm

Slightly off topic but may I ask: What's with everyone coming out as traders all of a sudden? It's like walking into Paula Deen's studio announcing at the top of your voice "I love the BET!"