The Realistic Joneses

iluvtheatertrash
#50The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 2:00pm

Was going to buy a ticket today but the box office staff was so rude and uninterested in helping, that I decided to save my money.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ak72090
#51The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 3:25pm

you can buy mine! lol 4/5 2pm balcony row c seats 5-7.... face value no convenience fee...trying to sell them so I can go to a different show. PM me

iluvtheatertrash
#52The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 5:30pm

Aw, haha, thanks. But a friend nabbed tickets to tonight and bought one off of them.

The Box Office staff was just awful.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#53The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 6:27pm

I'm not sure yet how I feel about my response to this, but I'm fairly certain that the show has my favorite pre-show announcement in a few years. At least since SISTER ACT and probably since SPAMALOT.

And that's kind of the problem with the play as performed; it is a collection of some downright fascinating and fantastic moments that add up to much less than the sum of their parts. I liked the set at first, but as it became clear how they used it I liked it less and less. There were some truly delightful scenes and exchanges, both on a pure dialogue/language level and also some on an interesting character dynamic level, but there is such a paperthin plot that it's hard for it to build to anything of interest since Eno seems much more interested in minutiae, linguistics and behavior (and he's quite skilled at presenting the quirks he unearths in all of our less-than-eloquent moments).

The cast really was quite game, though, and they'd have to be for this material to be engaging for the duration of the show. Without any momentum scene-to-scene, the force of energy comes from the characterizations and line readings and they all excel. I'm just not sure there's enough to recommend to any non-partisans who aren't going in as fans of the cast or Eno's perspective on life and language.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

QMAN032
#54The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 11:37pm

I definitely wouldn't sell your ticket based on just these reviews. I saw the show last night and personally loved it. It's rare for a show to be both legitimately funny and profound. I don't deny that Eno's work isn't for everyone. Some people will definitely not be on board, but I bet many will fall for it too. You really won't know unless you see it, and I think Eno is a playwright whose work is always worth seeing. You may end up loving it like I did.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#55The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/15/14 at 11:57pm

Has anyone rushed this? What's the dealio?

ak72090
#56The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 7:23am

thanks qman, the original reason we got the tickets in the first place is because we are huge hall fans, so maybe thatll make it worth it.

Hows the view in the theatre from the balcony? I heard its very steep (which I'm okay with), but is it close enough to the stage? This especially seems liek a show you want to sit close to the actors

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#57The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 8:54am

My school is giving us free tickets to see it. Based off of all these reviews on here, and the fact I have no idea what it's about I think I'll snag one up.

iluvtheatertrash
#58The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 10:10am

For those wondering, the stage door is insane. The cast (save Tomei) seem happy to sign and take photos. But since the stage doorman refuses to put out barricades (even though the crowd was ASKING him to), the cast got frightened and apologized and hurried out. Those of us in the front completely missed an opportunity to have the cast sign or take a photo as everyone in the back started shoving us onto them. Just a nightmare. I hope they put barricades up, for the cast's sake AND the crowd's.

ak72090
#59The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 10:12am

im sure if the cast got scared, they will have to....you would think?

ArtMan
#60The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 10:30am

Wow, that's suprising , to me, about Marissa. Maybe an off night. I really like her a lot. I would have thought Michael would have been the "non-happy" one.

iluvtheatertrash
#61The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 10:35am

Melissa came out long after they told us no one else would come out (all other 3 had). I only happened to still be there as I ran into a friend on the street. I watched Marissa sign one Playbill and put her hand in someone else's face and walk away. She didn't look thrilled to be there, so I didn't attempt.

Michael was LOVELY. In fact, the only one who really came out INTO the crowd to try and sign as many as he can. Toni wanted to sign more, but the stage door man was bringing her back inside. It was very frustrating.

Of course, the dozen people who hadn't actually seen the show didn't help either...

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#62The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 12:20pm

Thanks for the update on stage door, iluvtheatertrash, that's really too bad... I hope they make the necessary enhancements in security and procedure so that the cast feels more comfortable coming out! I would love to meet Letts again, and it would be really nice to see the rest of the cast!

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#63The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 1:07pm

"Melissa came out long after they told us no one else would come out (all other 3 had)."

Maybe she wouldn't sign because people kept calling her Melissa.

Owen22
#64The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 4:11pm

What time should one line up for the rush seats, does anyone know?

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#65The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 4:24pm

^ And where have they been located?

iluvtheatertrash
#66The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/16/14 at 7:35pm

You know what's hilarious? I started writing that post with "Melissa" and corrected myself. And then did it a few sentences later. *facepalm* It was early. I hadn't had coffee. Wah wah wah.

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#67The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/17/14 at 12:19pm

I rushed the first preview. I got there at 8, the next people got there at 8:30. It was a long, cold wait, but the front row ticket totally made it worth it!

And for what it's worth, I loved the show. There are so many great one liners. It's witty, and odd, but kinda wonderful. I think you should give the show a try for yourself, it might surprise you.

HBBrock
#68The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/17/14 at 12:31pm

How are the first row rush seats? The woman said it was partial view because of a table? Is the stage high? How much does this table block?

Updated On: 3/17/14 at 12:31 PM

MillieDillmount
#69The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 12:44am

Yeah, there's a table, but it's not a big issue. You can hear fine, you just can't see one of the four faces when they sit there. And it was really only the first scene. Im short, but surprisingly this stage wasn't too high for me to see. They never go deep upstate, so that's not a problem. I wouldn't even call the seat partial view. I think it's totally worth the $35!

HBBrock
#70The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 1:01am

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it....it's wacky, but the acting is excellent!

Agree on the rush seats! Absolutely worth the $35. And barely partial view at all. There were only 8 people in the rush line today.

MillieDillmount
#71The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 2:16am

So all the rush seats are still front row? I was hoping it wasn't just cause it was the first preview. How early did people start lining up this morning?

HBBrock
#72The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 7:12am

I was there at 8. Second person at 8:50. Last 6 people between 9:20 and 9:50.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#73The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 11:29am

Seeing it tomorrow on comps

That coupled with fact it only 90 minutes, we have nothing to lose. If we survived Architecture Of Becoming without slashing our wrists to end the agony we can survive anything.

Poster Emeritus

broadwayrocks2
#74The Realistic Joneses
Posted: 3/18/14 at 2:02pm

This was my first Eno play and i really enjoyed it !!