pixeltracker

Bridges of Madison County Previews- Page 7

Bridges of Madison County Previews

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#150Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/7/14 at 4:18pm

There's a new promo code for it at Broadway Offers. It's BRBLST125. I hope people go out and see it, it's really wonderful.

boom3
#151Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/8/14 at 12:07pm

I saw Bridges last week and absolutely loved it...visually and musically gorgeous!
Ajlucia~the actors come out through the stage door which is to the right of the theatre entrance. My experience is that actors are very appreciative of fans who want to meet them...no charge for pictures if you are patient and lucky to get one.

ZiggyCringe
#152Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 1:58am

I don't know quite what to make of this show. I really enjoyed it. Jason Robert Brown's score is ravishing. Kelli O'Hara and Steven Pasquale are sensational. Cass Morgan provides terrific comic relief. Bart Sher's direction is wonderfully understated. Marsha Norman's book is laser-precise.

And yet... I never got goosebumps. Usually, goosebumps is my go to for whether a show is good or not. I didn't get them during this show, but I was also never bored. This musical affected me like no other in my 40 year history of seeing musicals. It has left me flummoxed. And really, isn't that the best thing?

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#153Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 7:04am

Haven't seen the show since Williamstown, when it amazed and surprised and moved me incredibly. Taking my husband on Valentine's Day, could any show be more romantic? That score! And even though I was unhappy that Elena Shaddow was not in it again, I've heard such wonderful things about Kelli, and Steven sounds amazing in the promos again, so I can't wait!

LucyEth
#154Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 11:52am

Saw the show last night and it's a real mixed bag. Jason Robert Brown's score is, for the most part, ravishing, as are O'Hara and Pasquale. This is a cast recording I expect to wear out. What a supreme pleasure to hear soaring, legitimate singing on a stage, as opposed to the kind of American Idol screeching that's so prevalent these days. O'Hara is particularly moving, giving a nuanced, heart breaking performance. Between her, Jessie Mueller, Idina Menzel and Marin Mazzie this is going to be one tough Tony competition.

The production is another matter. There's far too much stage time taken up by Francesca's cranky family. They're such an unpleasant trio, her decision to stay with them makes little sense. And why are they even onstage characters to begin with? Act Two opens with Francesca's son at the State Fair shoveling steer poop and singing about how much he can't wait to leave the farm and start his "real life." Huh? Is this a part of this story we even remotely care about? Hardly.

"Bridges" is pretty much a two-hander, and unfortunately Bartlett Sher, Marsha Norman and Brown have opened the story up in disastrous ways. As good as Cass Morgan is, do we really need to provide comic relief for the tired business man? Hasn't musical theater moved beyond such hoary conventions? This should have been a small chamber piece off-Broadway. Or a smaller show in a smaller Broadway house. As it is, it's way too busy, way too big. The chorus exists only to move the flimsy set pieces around, which becomes a maddening distraction. All in all the production, as well as the show as conceived, just doesn't work at all.

But I can't emphasize how rich and glorious the score is. Brown's lyrics are simple yet profound, and his melodies take you to another world. In the hands of O'Hara and Pasquale, honest to goodness theater magic happens. I just wish there were more of them and less of everything else.

Updated On: 2/13/14 at 11:52 AM

homeimp
#155Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 12:16pm

When I saw Bloody Andrew Jackson and Spider-Man, neither received a standing ovation. I think two people stood at Bloody Andrew, then quickly sat down when they realized nobody had joined them. Bridges deserves an SO just for the score and the performances of Kelli and Stephen.

Sutton Ross
#156Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 1:45pm

"This should have been a small chamber piece off-Broadway. Or a smaller show in a smaller Broadway house. "

I couldn't agree more. Maybe at Playwrights Horizons or The Public? It's such a beautiful piece but if it doesn't start selling better I think it will close very quickly. It makes me sad because the music deserves to be heard.

LucyEth
#157Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/13/14 at 3:50pm

I predict a reevaluation in a few years when they can approach the show without the realities of producing for Broadway guiding their decisions. I just don't see this doing well, unfortunately. One of the ushers told us that the general, consistent reaction from audiences has been two words: "Beautiful" and "boring." And I get that. And everyone around us who had read the books and/or seen the movie were bothered by all the additional characters: the ex-wife, the sister, the family etc. Not sure if word of mouth among laymen will be enough to keep it running.

ARTc3
#158Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 12:14am

I caught tonight's performance of, The Bridges of Madison County. As many people have written here, the score is truly ravishing and beautifully sung. I was deeply moved by this production and found the ensemble of "Iowans" a haunting addition, not the distraction reported here by some posters. I also thought the direction and physical production near perfect and not at all too busy and distracting. If anything, I thought it quietly understated.

I am a little surprised by the "boring" comment as I was anything but. During tonight's performance, you could hear a pin drop. It seemed to me, tonight's audience was swept away with the sheer beauty of this piece.

I highly recommend this production and believe that it will be quite well received by the critics. I'm not sure if it will find its audience as the material isn't typical Broadway fare, but I sincerely hope it does.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.
Updated On: 2/14/14 at 12:14 AM

Sutton Ross
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#160Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 5:53pm

That song is far and away the best in the score. Just beautiful.

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#161Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 8:10pm

I thought Pasquale was nothing short of amazing on today's THE VIEW. Anyone recommend his CD "Somethin' Like Love"?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#162Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 8:20pm

I would recommend it, but it is a pretty basic late night jazz quartet type album. Standards, faithfully sung--the kind of music I'd play after dinner if my parents were over :P (But I mean that in a good way.) Stunning voice, anyway.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#163Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 8:49pm

Wow, that song makes me feel so warm and gooey inside. Need to see this show.

ARTc3
#164Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 8:51pm

The Bridges of Madison County is gorgeous. Exquisite score, beautifully sung. Near perfect production.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

SporkGoddess
#165Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 9:09pm

I NEED to hear more of this score. I'm obsessed with what I've heard so far.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

eatlasagna
#166Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/14/14 at 11:22pm

I've never had a desire to see this movie... it just never interested me... nor did the plot... but I would honestly see this show because that performance on the View was fantastic and plus I've always been a fan of Steven Pasquale since I saw him in Miss Saigon... guy is a phenomenal singer and actor!

ZiggyCringe
#167Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 1:15am

To those of you interested, do go see this show. It's never, ever boring. You would think it could be, but it's not. The score washes over you like a rainbow.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#168Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 2:29am

It is sad to know that JRB is likely to have another Broadway flop. At least this looks better than Urban Cowboy or 13.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ARTc3
#169Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 2:58am

I'm not sure. The critics might just appreciate the beauty of this piece. I think it has a good chance of getting some positive quotable reviews. I'm not sure if it will find an audience though. However, the success of the book and the Broadway demographic - middle aged women - might just work in this show's favor. I hope so. It really is an extraordinary work.

I agree that his is a much more serious work than 13, which I disliked immensely.

Updated On: 2/15/14 at 02:58 AM

After Eight
#170Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 8:21am

"It's never, ever boring. "

I found quite a bit of it to be boring. And actually, almost all the songs are. They're like a succession of murky puddles that just quiver while going nowhere.

"At least this looks better than Urban Cowboy or 13."

Well, it's better than Urban Cowboy, though drearier. I much preferred 13 to this. At least that had a little pep to it, and some catchy songs.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#171Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 11:58am

Saw it last night (and so did Mr Brantley; perhaps he will see it again before the opening, as it is still 6 days away from opening night). As much as I loved it at Williamstown, I have to agree with LucyEth; too much time spent away from them. As good as the supporting players were (and Hunter Foster and Cass Morgan do a great job), our focus should always be on Francesca and Robert. Yes I know it's a live show (made me think, oddly, of FUNNY GIRL, where in the show there were all these stage waits until Fanny reappeared, whereas in the movie she was front and center almost every moment, something hard to accomplish in a live show), and Kelli and Steven, who are totally extraordinary, cannot sing and emote for 2+ hours without a break. But they are the heart and soul of the show, and adding the chorus and such just seemed a distraction. At times it also reminded me of 110 IN THE SHADE, in the longing and arid background and romanticism and beauty of the score, and of course the main characters. I wanted to be swept away, but only their segments did that for me. It is a gorgeous chamber piece, a bit stretched out for Broadway. But all music theatre lovers should see it anyway.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#172Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 3:37pm

What has the show been clocking-in at lately? Updated On: 2/15/14 at 03:37 PM

ARTc3
#173Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/15/14 at 5:12pm

Much here has been written about the supporting and ensemble players. I couldn't disagree more with many of the comments. There is a "conversation" with the creative team in the Playbill and I suggest anyone who hasn't seen, The Bridges of Madison County, and intends to, to arrive early and read this beforehand.

Marsha Norman, Bartlett Sher and Jason Robert Brown write that when they opened this up for the stage, they decided that the community - the Iowans - were an important "character". This is carried out in both the cast watching the action on stage and the scenery (the ever present Iowan landscape).

(spoiler)
As this is about an affair and the moral implications, I thought this choice a strong one. Throughout the evening, the Iowans, look on often with an expression of judgement. The audience is also asked to make their own judgement and we are often concerned that someone might "catch" the lovers. I thought this was perfect and a brilliant directorial choice.

I did not find these "characters" distracting at all. Yes, they are always there, on stage, but they are the landscape and context in which these lovers must process their experience.
(end spoiler)

I loved, The Bridges of Madison County. I appreciate everyone's comments. I just want those considering attending to realize that there are many perspectives. This show is clearly not for everyone. It isn't a huge show by any standards. It is nuanced and sad and I found it deeply moving. For the record, I attended without any prior association with either the book or the movie.

Updated On: 2/15/14 at 05:12 PM

ZiggyCringe
#174Bridges of Madison County Previews
Posted: 2/16/14 at 12:22am

Jay,

I totally thought of 11o in the Shade while watching this show.