pixeltracker

2014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?- Page 2

2014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#252014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:35am

I bet 100 status points it'll be nominated.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#262014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:43am

Reidel has been wrong before. Take, for instance, a few weeks ago when he said BULLETS was certain to be the hit of the season. His gossip (show openings, cast changes, etc.) is usually right, but his (usually very assured) Tony predictions, especially this early in the race, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Broadway61004
#272014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:54pm

Here goes:

BEST MUSICAL
After Midnight
Beautiful
Bullets Over Broadway
A Gentleman's Guide...
(If there's a 5th: If-Then)

REVIVAL
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Les Miserables
Violet

ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Norbert Leo Butz, Big Fish
Neil Patrick Harris, Hedwig
Ramin Karimloo, Les Miserables
Jefferson Mays, Gentleman's Guide
Bryce Pinkham, Gentleman's Guide

ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Sutton Foster, Violet
Idina Menzel, If-Then
Jessie Mueller, Beautiful
Kelli O'Hara, Bridges of Madison County
Michelle Williams, Cabaret

FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Linda Emond, Cabaret
LaChanze, If-Then
Anika Larsen, Beautiful
Marin Mazzie, Bullets Over Broadway
Helene York, Bullets Over Broadway

FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Brooks Ashmanskas, Bullets Over Broadway
Danny Burstein, Cabaret
Nick Cordero, Bullets Over Broadway
Colin Donnell, Violet
James Monroe Iglehart, Aladdin

DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
Michael Mayer, Hedwig
Susan Stroman, Bullets
Alex Timbers, Rocky
Darko Tresjnak, Gentleman's Guide

CHOREOGRAPHY
Warren Carlyle, After Midnight
Casey Nicholaw, Aladdin
Josh Prince, Beautiful
Susan Stroman, Bullets

SCORE
Aladdin
Bridges of Madison County
Gentleman's Guide
If-Then
(If Aladdin is ineligible, then Rocky)

BOOK
Aladdin
Bullets Over Broadway
Gentleman's Guide
Rocky

ORCHESTRATIONS
After Midnight
Bridges
Bullets
If-Then

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#282014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 2:19pm

I agree with some of your picks (a lot, in fact). But, for your consideration:

Warren Carlyle as a Best Director nominee for After Midnight (take Alex Timbers out)
I think Lena Hall is going to win featured actress (her performance is still burning in my brain-and Yitzak never struck me as a Tony winning role until now)-maybe take Helene York out
I think only Cordero will get the featured actor nod for Bullets and would put Joshua Henry in there for Violet.

That's all I can think of for now. (I think Aladdin will get a nod for best musical by the way.)

Broadway61004
#292014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:03pm

Those are definitely all strong possibilities, especially Carlyle for director (although I really think they'll recognize Timbers for that final sequence, even if the rest of the show is somewhat undeserving).

And I nearly put in Lena Hall instead of LaChanze and certainly wouldn't be surprised if she ended up getting in (or over Helene York).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#302014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:10pm

Alex Timbers deserves a nomination. He did some great work with Rocky. I would hate to say Helene Yorke overlooked.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#312014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:54pm

Broadway61004-Lena Hall is a revelation. She really deserves the nod (and the win).

I think Warren Carlyle will get a nod-After Midnight is one of only two shows that received overall positive reviews (Gentleman's Guide is the other).

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#322014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:03pm

I think Caryle will likely receive a nod, and probably a win, in Choreography, but not be acknowledged for direction.

My final guess for musical nominees are:

After Midnight
Gentleman's Guide
Beautiful
Bridges
> Aladdin in fifth

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#332014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:28pm

"My final guess for musical nominees are:

After Midnight
Gentleman's Guide
Beautiful
Bridges
> Aladdin in fifth"

Kad you may be right as it's really wide open as we all know. But in my opinion, at least, Bullets is far superior to Beautiful, which I thought was a bore with a great performance by Jessie Mueller. It would have been better as a one woman concert cover of King's music. The book was completely uninteresting. I do understand that others strenuously disagree.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#342014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:34pm

Beautiful is not a "good" show. But I had a good time when I saw it. It's impeccably performed and often very entertaining and dynamically staged- and many people really seem to like it. It is, as I've said before, a safe show. Not deserving of the award, but doesn't yield the strong reactions the alternatives do. A place filler.

However, Mueller carries it and I can't really imagine it without her. I still think she's the frontrunner for Best Actress.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Steve721
#352014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:24pm

When people here say that Mueller is the front runner for best actress, do they have some inside info? Her reviews are certainly no better than O'Hara's. And if you can't imagine Beautiful (which I haven't seen) without Mueller, just think of Bridges without Kelli. Talk about carrying a show . . . . .

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#362014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:35pm

IMO, if the Tony voters get political for the Best Leading Actress:

The winner will be Idina Menzel since this is her first show in 10 years

or

It won't be Idina nor Sutton since they already won previously and they will want to give Jessica, Michelle, and esepecially Kelli a bigger chance

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#372014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:54pm

I really can't even bring myself to make an educated guess as to what the nominations for best musical will be. This is the first season in a long time where things have been *this* up in the air. I don't see Gentleman's Guide getting as many nods as others seem to think, though.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Steve721
#382014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:56pm

"IMO, if the Tony voters get political for the Best Leading Actress:

The winner will be Idina Menzel since this is her first show in 10 years."

Or they could give it to a woman who will have had 5 Tony nominations in the past 10 years and who actually works in the theater.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#392014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:05pm

Or they could give it to a woman who will have had 5 Tony nominations in the past 10 years and who actually works in the theater.

That's why I said that my other theory was, "That won't be Idina nor Sutton since they already won previously and they will want to give Jessica, Michelle, and esepecially Kelli a bigger chance." 2014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#402014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:07pm

"And if you can't imagine Beautiful (which I haven't seen) without Mueller, just think of Bridges without Kelli. Talk about carrying a show . . . . ."

IMO the race is between Jessie and Kelli and I'd give Kelli the edge, but Elena Shaddow did Bridges out of town and was very well reviewed and everyone I know who saw her was quite impressed.

I haven't seen Jessie's understudy in Beautiful so I don't know how the show fares without her.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#412014 Musical Tonys Thoughts?
Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:25pm

Broadway61004, After Midnight won't/shouldn't be eligible for Orchestrations. They're using original charts from the period.

Videos