Bravo Ramin

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#50Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:48am

I think the era of micro-shaming is upon us, and in a lot of instances, it's perfectly fine. Especially if it's a few seconds' worth of death glare in a noisy theatre like the Imperial (as has been mentioned multiple times) and not a finger-wagging diatribe.

And a general tip for those with smartphones: Once you get inside, just turn your phone to airplane mode. That way even if you left the ringer on, it's not going to make a noise since no one can call you. If you somehow pick up nearby wifi and get a text, well, you're SOL, I guess...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 10:52am

It's an addiction. People can't go without looking at their phones for for more than a couple of minutes now. I read some study where 1 in 5 people can't function without looking at their phones once every ten minutes. And that addiction doesn't stop when you go to the theater. I see it every single night while I'm working. It's not even remotely my job, but I still find myself going into the audience and telling people to get off Facebook or stop playing Candy Crush or texting when I hear audience members complaining about the lights from the phones or hearing actors between scenes say how distracting that person in there 7th row is with their damn phone.

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 10:52 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#52Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:04am

Gilmore girl, this seems to be an case of how much do these disturbances bother you? For you, Carlos and Winston, it isn't much of a problem. For me, when I'm engrossed into some art, I'm engrossed. Rude and entitled people who take me out of my world bother me very much. And while I'm on the topic of rude and entitled, for me this issue is more than the sound of a phone ringing, and more of a bright light in the dark. It's the plethora of human beings who are so rude, entitled, and inconsiderate who are behind these issues.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 4/16/14 at 11:04 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#53Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:08am

"They can also accidently get turned back on by the buttons when you don’t have a touch screen. :)"

Don't have a touch screen?! If you're not using a phone from this decade, just leave it home for a few hours. You're obviously not invested in this lifestyle if you don't have an $800 phone with a $120 monthly bill... Bravo Ramin

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#54Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:27am

Jane, I don’t think the issue is how much it bothers us/how engrossed we are in the art (in fact, one could argue the opposite of what you are saying – that people who are not so bothered by these things are, in fact, more engrossed than others because they barely notice any disturbances). I think the point that I am arguing is that you are assuming that any phone that accidently rings belongs to someone who is “rude and entitled” and those people, therefore, deserve to be embarrassed beyond the natural embarrassment that will likely come from the cell phone ringing in the first place. A ringing phone is, more likely than not, an accident. We’re all human. We can do our best, but people make mistakes. They could have forgotten to turn their phone off (yes, even with the announcement). They could have thought they turned their phone off. They could have accidently hit a button. To call these people rude and entitled seems, to me, to be a bit much. Assuming the worst motivations in someone as opposed to giving them the benefit of the doubt seems to be the conflict here. I would not feel comfortable (as an actor onstage or a fellow audience member) inflicting the “punishment” I think they deserve for causing the disturbance, when it could just be a simple accident.

Again, I’m not talking about people who are just blatantly on their phones (especially when the lights are already down) or people who answer their phones while in the theatre or people who don’t try to immediately silence an accidental ring. I would, yes, categorize those people as rude and inconsiderate because they are blatantly and actively acting out of order. We don’t know if that is the case for all ringing cell phones owners, however.

I agree about the obsession with people and their phones - it certainly is out of control (as shown by my only recent upgrade to a smart phone and my only using the internet when necessary). But, an accidental cell phone ring does not necessarily mean people are rude and entitled.

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 11:27 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#55Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:29am

I accept that 90%+ of the times a phone rings in the theater, that it's an accident. However if you look at it from an actors perspective, when that "accident" happens to someone new every night, it becomes more than just a rare occurrence that can be looked past. When it's a nightly disturbance of your work, you see it just a tad differently.

GilmoreGirlO2
#56Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:35am

Jordan, I understand that and I can imagine how that growing disturbance can make an actor snap at some point. However, I still don't necessarily think it’s the right thing – or okay - to do.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:43am

A ringing phone is, more likely than not, an accident.

You talk a lot about making assumptions, but isn't this one as well?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#58Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:44am

"Jane, I don’t think the issue is how much it bothers us/how engrossed we are in the art (in fact, one could argue the opposite of what you are saying – that people who are not so bothered by these things are, in fact, more engrossed than others because they barely notice any disturbances). I think the point that I am arguing is that you are assuming that any phone that accidently rings belongs to someone who is “rude and entitled” and those people, therefore, deserve to be embarrassed beyond the natural embarrassment that will likely come from the cell phone ringing in the first place. A ringing phone is, more likely than not, an accident. We’re all human. We can do our best, but people make mistakes. They could have forgotten to turn their phone off (yes, even with the announcement). They could have thought they turned their phone off. They could have accidently hit a button. To call these people rude and entitled seems, to me, to be a bit much. Assuming the worst motivations in someone as opposed to giving them the benefit of the doubt seems to be the conflict here. I would not feel comfortable (as an actor onstage or a fellow audience member) inflicting the “punishment” I think they deserve for causing the disturbance, when it could just be a simple accident."

So are you saying that because out of maybe 100 phones that ring, we should excuse them all because a few of them were accidental? I don't think so.

"I would not feel comfortable (as an actor onstage or a fellow audience member) inflicting the “punishment” I think they deserve for causing the disturbance, when it could just be a simple accident."

And how are you to know if that was a simple accident? should you excuse it all the time because it had a slim chance of being an accident? I think if the "innocent" person received the dirty look from the actor, it may just cause them to be more careful next time. We're not talking about that person receiving a blow to the head, we're talking about a look.

As far as my being engrossed. I'm sensitive to noise and light, so yes, that would take me out of the art.

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 11:44 AM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#59Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:47am

I'm not sure how we can know it's an accident. But at any rate, it's not an unavoidable one. It isn't like a cough, which can't be helped.

I honestly don't know how I feel about an actor stopping the show; I've never experienced it. My reaction would probably depend on the scene. But if it means at least one person won't ever let it happen again, I might be in favor of it.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#60Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 11:56am

"people who are not so bothered by these things are, in fact, more engrossed than others because they barely notice any disturbances). "

I don't see it that way. I've been in the audience of quiet and intense scenes on stage when suddenly a phone rings. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that everyone was disturbed by it, engrossed or not.

GilmoreGirlO2
#61Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:02pm

So are you saying that because out of maybe 100 phones that ring, we should excuse them all because a few of them were accidental? I don't think so.

I disagree that only a few out of a 100 rings are accidental.

And how are you to know if that was a simple accident? should you excuse it all the time because it had a slim chance of being an accident?

We don’t know, but I think it is more than a slim chance of being an accident. I could ask you the same thing: How are you to know that it wasn’t an accident? If the audience member has exhibited no other signs of being an inconsiderate audience member and does their best to stop the ringing, I prefer to assume it was an accident.

Clearly this is where our disagreement lies and probably why we will never see eye-to-eye on this issue. I assume most rings are accidental, you assume most aren’t. And, please don’t think I blame you for the phones disturbing you – they disturb me, too. We just have different thoughts on how to handle the situation.

I also don’t believe that how engrossed in a show you are equals one reaction or the other. I said that simply to point out that your logic could go the other way, too, and that me, Winston, and Carlos’ opinions weren’t because we don’t get as engrossed in as show as you (nor aren’t as disturbed by the rings as you).

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 12:02 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#62Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:11pm

Gilmore Girl, I'm coming from a place of working FOH for over a decade. Some of that time was spent on ushering, and managing a house. I saw the reactions of patrons whose phones rang out. There's a distinct difference in those that were truly shocked to hear their phone and those who were "caught." There are certain things you learn when working in theaters that other people aren't aware of.

Another reason I say that only a few have their phones still turned on by accident is the large number of people in the audience who keep turning their phones on and off all night. And those who have their phones in their hands stuffed down into their purses so as to make it easier to keep looking at them. We notice a lot on staff.

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 12:11 PM

Fosse76
#63Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:34pm

As someone who is in a Broadway theater 4 to 5 times a week, ringing cell phones are a problem. That said, it absolutely is unprofessional for an actor to stop the show to call out the infraction (either by verbal acknowledgment or doing a death stare). It is NOT a performers job to lecture manners to the audience. It is their job to entertain. 9 times out of 10, the audience member whose phone rang will be embarassed enough to have turned it off. Pausing the show, however briefly, will not "undo what happened. It is the house staff's responsibility, an no, they can't stop a phone from ringing and can't always identify the offendor. But actors who stop the show to call out ringing phones come across as arrogant and self-important.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#64Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:37pm

I don't see how a wordless 5-second glance is stopping the show.

Reginald Tresilian
#65Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:40pm

" But actors who stop the show to call out ringing phones come across as arrogant and self-important."

To you, and that's fine. But obviously not to everyone.

Reginald Tresilian
#66Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:44pm

As for the whole "Is it an accident" issue: How are we defining "accident"? If you mean the person actually turned it off and somehow it got turned back on, I agree that's an accident (though it's never happened to me, and I'm pretty certain it's impossible with my phone).

But if you mean the person assumed it was off and didn't bother to check, then I don't think that's an accident so much as negligence.

Updated On: 4/16/14 at 12:44 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#67Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:51pm

I always try to make it a point to put my phone on silent or shut it off completely. It even surprised me when my phone went off! I think it's a good idea to just switch it over to airplane mode.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#68Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:51pm

"Being a performer on the stage does NOT EVER give him that privilege."

Who are you to judge him and what he deems acceptable when performing? Seeing a show is a privilege, and an actor can react however they want when someone is being disrespectful.

"In fact, one could argue the opposite of what you are saying – that people who are not so bothered by these things are, in fact, more engrossed than others because they barely notice any disturbances."

Are you serious? When someone is reading their email right next to you, or talking/texting/playing games, screwing with food wrappers, etc. in a dark theater, of course you notice. It's always distracting, always annoying, and always takes you away from the performance, even for a second.

Reginald Tresilian
#69Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 12:54pm

Carlos, I'm so paranoid about it, I probably check mine unnecessarily. Then I worry that I've accidentally turned it back on.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#70Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:09pm

A phone went off possibly by accident. We don't know if the person thought his/her cell phone was shut off like I did and then the phone rang. It's unfortunate but I wouldn't constitute it as being disrespectful if it was an accident.

Sutton Ross
#71Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:16pm

Would you constitute it as disrespectful if it wasn't?

GilmoreGirlO2
#72Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:18pm

Are you serious? When someone is reading their email right next to you, or talking/texting/playing games, screwing with food wrappers, etc. in a dark theater, of course you notice. It's always distracting, always annoying, and always takes you away from the performance, even for a second.

You didn’t read what I said later. I said I don’t think that how engrossed someone is in the show is equivalent to how distracted they can get by disturbances and explained that I was simply putting this out there to show that the opposite argument could be made. Jane had asserted that perhaps me, Winston, and Carlos are not as engrossed when taking in theatre and that is why the cell phones don’t disturb us as much (which I don’t think any of us had said anything about it not being just as disturbing to us, we were simply talking about the handling of it when it happens). Also, I was referring to a cell phone ringing, not necessarily someone reading their email/talking/texting/playing games right next to you. No one is trying to argue whether or not a phone ringing is disturbing – I think we can all agree it is. The discrepancy is coming from how each person feels it should be handled.

I'm so paranoid about it, I probably check mine unnecessarily. Then I worry that I've accidentally turned it back on.

I do the same thing.

brdway411
#73Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:28pm

I was at a show right after Sandy and someones alarm clock was in their bag and it went off during the show. Stopped the show dead in it's tracks. Was not cool. They had to send down ushers to find the person and get them to turn it off. The person left at intermission.

I don't blame Ramin for stopping at all. If it is happening on a nightly basis, I would get PO'ed also. But, I also think that people should not have their phone in the theater at all (it is illegal to use your phone in the theater). Make them check them at the door or just be polite and turn it off all the way before you enter the theater. Problem solved.

Sutton Ross
#74Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:35pm

brdway411, I completely agree. People turning their phones on silent or vibrate isn't enough. They still can check it, and those people usually do. What is wrong with turning your phone completely off? When I was an Once, several ushers went around checking people's phone and made sure they were totally off, I hope that trend will continue. I have offered the "checking at the door" idea on here before, and people said it would just slow people down on the way out, and it wasn't a good idea. But, I still think something needs to be done.