Bravo Ramin

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#75Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:42pm

" It is NOT a performers job to lecture manners to the audience. It is their job to entertain."

Years ago, that was something an actor could do without their performance, their art, their pride and joy being marred by audience members. Nowadays, things are different. And I"m sure the actors are aware that no house staff can prevent it. The actors know that the audience has been reminded, etc. So, SOME actors, seeing that nothing is stopping the problem, having it up to HERE, decide to do something about it. And I guess throughout the business, no actor has been penalized for doing it. Has the industry made it clear that it is not an actor's job to react to the disturbance? you tell me, I don't know.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

brdway411
#76Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:50pm

I was at Jersey Boys for the first time a few weeks ago and the ladies in front of me (after moving to get away from the annoying woman singing behind me) were on their cell phones the whole show checking text messages. I told the ushers at intermission. They were told to turn them off and it didn't help. I think they should just start ejecting people. Use your phone get thrown out. Also simple. BTW some clod took a flash picture during the show. WTH. Most people go to the show to be entertained not chat on their phones. If you are bored, LEAVE, so the rest of us can enjoy the show with out being bothered.

Since I found out that cell phone usage in the theater was illegal, I have started turning off my phone before I even enter. That way I don't have to worry about it going off or distracting others around me.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#77Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:53pm

"Since I found out that cell phone usage in the theater was illegal, I have started turning off my phone before I even enter."

Why would the illegality be the impetus there, if you're also worried about it going off. You would risk it going off before, but not if you might end up in jail? Bravo Ramin

brdway411
#78Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 1:59pm

I always made sure it was off by curtain time. But, until a few months ago didn't realize that cell phone usage was illegal at all. I just turn it off, put it in my bag and leave it there. My old phone was a POS flip phone, it would turn on and off by its self, I used to take the battery out after it went off (on vibrate) during a show once.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#79Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 2:01pm

While not a jail-able offense, a night in jail might correct their behavior! Bravo Ramin But, it has to be like, theater jail.

brdway411
#80Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 2:06pm

^^^ THIS, LMAO. Chicago style. Or make them sit through "A Tale Of Two Cities" over and over for 24 hours.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#81Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:25pm

"I need a conjugal visit from my loving spouse."

"Honey, just drop the soap in the big doll house!"

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#82Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:36pm

Nothing is that important to be texting and/or taking a call in the middle of a performance. It's amazing how absolutely clueless & self-centered people are when it comes to cell phone common sense.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#83Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 3:46pm

Broadway's version of trailer park trash

Poster Emeritus

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#84Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:07pm

You'd be surprised how some people that live in trailer parks have more dignity than theatergoers. So let's not go insulting them in the context of this ahem discussion

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#85Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 12:53am

"You'd be surprised how some people that live in trailer parks have more dignity than theatergoers."

I would be surprised to know such a thing has been studied and verified. Do you have a link?

I mean, you don't seem like you're just making this up, so i want to know more.

CarlosAlberto
#86Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 4:53am

haterobics: It's called SARCASM.

Here's the link. Read and digest. Commit it to memory you're going to need to if you want to continue to stick around here:
EDUCATE YOURSELF...AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

Liza's Headband
#87Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 9:11am

Carlos, ¿por qué estás de mal humor? Difundir el amor. Este no es el Carlos que conozco y adoro!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#88Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 9:21am

Haterobics, my sister lived in a trailer park for several years. I can't compare her to all theatergoers, but she certainly had dignity.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#89Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 9:32am

Yeah, the classism is really unnecessary in this thread.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#90Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 9:44am

"Broadway's version of trailer park trash"

Roxy, I'm pretty good at sarcasm, but would you mind explaining what you're talking about here? Is it that "trailer park trash" are the ones who use their cell phones in theaters? Sometimes I'm a little dense, and I'm just not getting this. thanks.

CarlosAlberto
#91Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 9:55am

Since we are on the subject of careless cellphone use, I just saved a young lady and myself from a nasty accident. While climbing up a flight of stairs on the subway to reach street level the young lady who was in front of me was pre occupied on her cellphone and missed a step...she fell backwards almost falling on top of me which would have been sent the both of knocking down those directly behind us. Luckily for us I reacted quickly, grabbed her Nd.hoisted her back up to the missed step. Oy! ...and that was my morning commute. How was yours?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#92Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:00am

That was nice of you Carlos, but that's just another example of some idiot who can't live without her phone almost causing a lot of harm.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#93Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:25am

Funny you ask: I was walking through some fairly narrow construction scaffolding this a.m., and a woman walking toward me had her eyes glued to her cell phone and plowed right into me. Nearly knocked the breath out of me. She then glared at me, huffed, and walked off.

FindingNamo
#94Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:43am

Isn't Roxy always the champion the people who can't afford high prices for shows? Funny how intolerant he always claims people who don't accept his backward opinions are.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#95Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:50am

"haterobics: It's called SARCASM."

Oh, I know sarcasm when I see it... Bravo Ramin

"Haterobics, my sister lived in a trailer park for several years. I can't compare her to all theatergoers, but she certainly had dignity."

Heh, I have no contrary opinion.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#96Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 3:30pm

"I need a conjugal visit from my loving spouse."

"Honey, just drop the soap in the big doll house!"

These are great, tell me more!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#97Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 3:34pm

Sutton , this link will explain it all...
Big Dollhouse

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#98Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 8:13pm

What a difference in reputation between a so-called "trailer park" and an "RV campground!" Some of the latter, although, thank goodness, not too many, have rules that the RV must be motorized (i.e., NOT a trailer) and must be less than 10 years old. My husband and I own an RV and plan to travel around the country in retirement. I can't imagine staying at the really snobby places.

BTW, I can verify that some of the stereotypes about RV'ers (whether trailer owners or owners of motor homes) are indeed true, based on my experience. They are overwhelmingly white, the Americans seem to be quite conservative politically (I don't know about the Canadians because I don't know what issues divide left from right in Canada -- other than it isn't health care), they tend to be religious Christians who attend "nondenominational" services that the campgrounds often hold on Sundays, and they're often friendly people on a personal level.

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#99Bravo Ramin
Posted: 4/17/14 at 8:19pm

Remember when this thread was about audience etiquette?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt