pixeltracker

Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thoughts- Page 6

Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thoughts

chrisampm2
#125Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/4/14 at 11:36pm

UpInOne, the WinterGarden didn't seem too big for Rocky to me.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#126Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 9:22am

For Rocky it depended on where you sat - all of the seats on the sides of the orchestra and especially on the sides of the mezz were far enough away to have been in another theatre. That theatre is too large and too wide for anything but a static downstage concert or a thrust stage production of Cats. The final 20 minutes of Rocky were doubly wonderful because everyone in the house finally got close to the story

Up In One

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#127Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 9:36am

The stage design for Rocky used so much of the available space for projections that when the actors had to play an actual scene (in Rocky's apartment or the pet store, for instance), they used little, claustrophobic wagons in which the actors could barely move.

I believe that they correctly assessed that their audience wasn't there to watch scenes anyway, so why waste space on them?

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#129Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 12:59pm

As of right now, the show is supposed to transfer to Broadway in the spring, from what I hear. In time for Tony Awards season.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#130Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 1:02pm

valeposh-I'm guessing it'll come sooner. I've no doubt they're going to take the Winter Garden.

JRRTolken
#131Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 6:23pm

Hello I am just wondering would you say this board is very mixed or loving the show

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#132Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 6:29pm

Did you read the thread? Make your own decision. You will almost never find a show that doesn't have a mixed opinion here. However, I think the positive is out weighing the negative.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#133Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 6:44pm

Seeing the show next week and from what I've read and heard, I'm quite excited about a new musical.

chrisampm2
#134Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/5/14 at 7:00pm

"That theatre is too large and too wide for anything but a static downstage concert or a thrust stage production of Cats."

There have been many successful productions in that space besides Beatlemania and Cats. It doesn't mean I'd want to sit all the way on the side, but it's not all that different from the Broadway, the Palace or the St James, all of which need big productions to fill the space appropriately.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#135Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 12:22am

"but it's not all that different from the Broadway, the Palace or the St James, all of which need big productions to fill the space appropriately."

Your wrong on that count, The Winter Garden is the widest theatre on Broadway. Hate to get all theatre geeky on you but I just checked the seating charts to make sure. The St James is 36 seats across, the Palace is 43 in the orchestra and 47 across in the mezz while the Winter Garden is 61 across in the orch and 63 across in the mezz. No one wants to sit way to the side in any theatre , the Winter Garden compounds the issue. The Palace and the Saint James are handicapped by their second balconies but the main houses of those two theaters remain much more intimate than the Winter Garden.

Up In One

chrisampm2
#136Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 12:37am

OK. It's wide. That didn't stop people from going to Mamma Mia, West Side Story, Mame, Follies, Funny Girl, etc.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#137Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 8:04am

Seeing this in a few weeks and am finding the comments interesting from those who have seen it already. As far as potential major cast changes between Cambridge, MA and Broadway, it could happen, there have already been changes in the cast, but I hope the current cast remains intact. In my opinion, Jeremy Jordan and Matthew Morrison are on the same level, but Jeremy has the richer singing voice and outscores MM as far as stage presence.

sweeneyguy
#138Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 9:38am

I experienced the show again last night and the exuberant, captivated audience responses continue. Since visiting the show several days ago, I noticed that about 15 minutes has been cut from the performance.

john45cc
#139Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 10:45am

What has been cut? I saw the show three times the first weekend and will see again next Saturday. I could do without the "moving furniture" scene and thought the carousel sequence was a bit too long, but otherwise cannot think of anything that should be trimmed.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#140Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 12:24pm

I hope it's not the Winter Garden. The sightlines are awful , unless you are dead center .

After seeing the show , I felt the ART stage was a little cramped .Go a little larger, but not too big. Save the WG for fashion shows . Which someone on these boards mentioned , was it's intention.

Just my thoughts.

The Pud
#141Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 12:47pm

Going to Boston for vacation in 3 weeks, have tickets to see Neverland on the 26th,
can't wait. Have seats in row H center, I hope there are good, have never seen a
show at this theater. I wish the show would open in November for the Christmas
season but Jeremy Jordan has concert commitments this fall so probably not until February. Perhaps after the August 13 premier there will be some news as to date
and theater. Surely before the end of the run on September 28th.

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#142Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 1:13pm

Pod , row H is perfect ! Loeb is a great intimate space . Have a great trip , and enjoy Boston/Cambridge .

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#143Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 7:18pm

Has anyone ever sat in the obstructed-view seats at the Loeb? If so, how obstructed is the view? I can't decide if I'd like to make the 2 hour trip to Cambridge given that there's only one show that I'd be able to attend, and the only seats available are in Row A on the far left or the far right.

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#144Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 7:30pm

"Has anyone ever sat in the obstructed-view seats at the Loeb? If so, how obstructed is the view? I can't decide if I'd like to make the 2 hour trip to Cambridge given that there's only one show that I'd be able to attend, and the only seats available are in Row A on the far left or the far right."

I sat in Row A on the left on Saturday (I was on the aisle closest to the center section) and the seats were great. The only time I had any bit of an obstruction was (spoiler) during "Stronger" at the end of Act 1 when the cast brings up the ropes and Melaine Moore climbed up on top of them. (There was another dancer doing the same on the opposite side of the stage, but they were up high enough that they didn't obstruct my view too much.)

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#145Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 7:37pm

We have tickets for August 19th, our second night in Boston and will be in the last row. What's the view like? I don't think the seats were listed as partial view.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#146Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 7:44pm

Maddie...I sat in the laast row for Pippin. NO problems seeing and I can't imagine any problems with this show, either. As mentioned earlier, the Loeb is really a lovely space.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#147Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 8:39pm

Thanks for the help, Ally! I feared that with the significantly reduced price they would be a lot worse, but I think I'll grab one. Can't wait to see the show!

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#148Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 8:46pm

I really want this to come to Broadway but agree the Winter Garden (which, as opposed to many I love) is probably the wrong venue

It feels like a 1000 seat house show

thebeautyis3
#149Finding Neverland at ART -- Reviews & Thougts SPOILERS!!!
Posted: 8/6/14 at 9:18pm

Is Finding Neverland really such a large draw? Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but I didn't think it was exactly the most mainstream film. If Rocky couldn't fill the Winter Garden, I can't exactly see Finding Neverland doing so, especially if it opens too early.

Updated On: 8/6/14 at 09:18 PM