Can Can

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#1Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 10:26am

When is the revival of Can Can supposed to dance to Broadway??? Is it this season or next? I'm just curious.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 10:28am

The sooner, the better... can't wait to see Kate Baldwin in this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 10:35am

She's wrong for that role. I thought she was basically a place holder for Hilty, who's much better suited, IMO.

Also, I was thinking how chock full of musical revivals the season already is and wondering about theater availability (I'd think they need a bigger house). You already have: Side Show, The King and I, On the Town, On the Twentieth Century with Gigi and Dames at Sea looking at coming as well. We'll see. (It also has to compete with the likes of An American in Paris for an audience.)

Showface
Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#4Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 11:02am

Just got my tickets. Can't wait for this one! Papermill has an exciting season planned. Also going to Hunchback and Ever After.

dres40
#5Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 11:57am

Thanks for posting this! I just got $36 tickets for this show.
We live in NJ so it's easy for us to get there and the view from the cheap seats is fine. Saw Newsies with Jeremy Jordan before it came to Broadway at the Paper Mill. We enjoyed it....especial for the price!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#6Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 12:04pm

Never knew they had intentions for sending this to Broadway. Will they find a theater for the spring?? Maybe The Simon if THE LAST SHIP bombs?? The St. James??

The list of potential revivals for the 2014-15 season is getting long(*theater needed/to be confirmed):
On The Town
The King & I
Side Show
Can-Can*
Dames At Sea*
...Forum*
Gigi*

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 12:25pm

Forum for sure isn't happening.

And who knows? If it opens in NJ and is terrible, I doubt it will go. It's hard to say w/o it even being in performances.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#8Can Can
Posted: 8/13/14 at 2:38pm

Damn, kind of upsetting. Baldwin will do the role justice but man I really wanted to see Hilty rip it to shreds.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#9Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 4:30am

I second Kad on being excited to see Kate Baldwin in this - she was so wonderful in Big Fish!

AnythingGoes23
#10Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 4:34am

i cant see Dames happening this year now sadly

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 8:30am

"Forum for sure isn't happening."

Says who? The last word was that they are actively seeking a big-name actor to replace Corden.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:11am

I saw this production at Pasadena Playhouse, thought it was enjoyable and the morning after remembered pretty much nothing about it. I guess that's the definition of CAN-CAN. I think they'd probably need a bigger name than Kate Baldwin to make this fly on Broadway, but I'm sure she'll be swell in the meantime.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:21am

How is Jason's role? if this and The Visit transferred, I wonder what he'd choose. he's pretty spectacular in The Visit.

Michael Bennett
#14Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:28am

I don't think either production would run very long on Broadway, but I'd think he'd want to go with CAN-CAN.

Updated On: 8/14/14 at 09:28 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#15Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:33am

Most of the cast in The Visit is wasted. Chita is the cast-the others, while amazing in their own right, feel utterly swept aside by her (and yes, she's great, but it seems a shame to waste some of these people's talents).

If Can Can transfers and Jason gets the option, I'd go with that-it's the LEAD. In The Visit he gets a two minute song. Also, I thought that Howard McGillin might return (he was originally supposed to play that role) and Mandy Patinkin would go into Gigi. (This is all idle speculation of course.)

Updated On: 8/14/14 at 09:33 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#16Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:38am

"The Only One" is a substantial song, and easily one of the best in the show. Jason's delivery of the song is quite powerful.

Updated On: 8/14/14 at 09:38 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#17Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:40am

It's a great song, and his delivery is great. He won't get anything for that. He would be the lead in Can Can-he's deserving of a leading role.

Updated On: 8/14/14 at 09:40 AM

Michael Bennett
#18Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:49am

Whoops, I'm not fully awake this morning -- I meant to say above that I think he would go with CAN-CAN. Dreaming has explained the reasons why -- its the lead and a flashy, fun role. But the show definitely needs a name for Pistiche, in my opinion to be commercially viable. Patti LuPone was wonderful when they did the show at Encores.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#19Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 9:57am

MB-I think Hilty would be amazing (and I thought that was who they originally wanted-but she's been talking about Gentlemen Prefer Blondes lately so perhaps Can Can is off her radar-which would be a shame-I think she and Jason Danieley would be good together). I don't know who else I could see. LuPone is a little old now. (I think the two leads are supposed to be around the same age, aren't they, MB?)

Michael Bennett
#20Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 11:45am

I think Pistache could actually even be a little older than he is, but yes, theoretically, they are a romantic coupling so should be about the same age. But I think that the suitable age range to play the characters is pretty flexible. You could likely get away with an older star if there was interest. I wonder how much of a draw Megan Hilty would actually be at the box office. Curious...

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#21Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 11:57am

I'd think she'd be decent (Smash...). I would like to see Jason Danieley finally get a leading Broadway role (it'd be his first true lead since "The Full Monty"-and even that was shared in a way). I love his voice and charisma and think this would showcase that beautifully.

I kind of prefer the age range they're using now. (Late 30s-early 40s makes sense.) I wish Emily Skinner could do it-she'd be interesting. But she's not a big name really either.

Michael Bennett
#22Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 12:36pm

As far as names, you'd almost want a Catherine Zeta Jones type -- but I'm not sure the role is really interesting enough to attract a major movie star. Some productions have made Pistache an also heavily featured dance role but that's not the way this new version takes it.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#23Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 1:29pm

I was thinking of Jones, now that you mention it. But I think that's aiming a bit high.

You don't think the show could sell itself? (It's a fairly known Porter show.)

Michael Bennett
#24Can Can
Posted: 8/14/14 at 2:31pm

Maybe....my experience of this new production was that it was charming but instantly forgettable. I'm just not sure it would be able to become a must see ticket in New York. A lot of revivals are like that -- I would think GIGI would potentially suffer the same fate.