Ghost Quartet

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#25Ghost Quartet
Posted: 11/8/14 at 1:28am

Really wish I could be in New York to see this, but I bought the cast recording because, well, it's Dave Malloy.

The score is incredible. It carries everything I loved about Great Comet's score and more: the recitative, the counterpoint, the polyrhythms, the ostinato, the pulsating orchestrations, the inventiveness. Some songs, like The Camera Shop, sound like they came right out of Great Comet, and others defy classification.

My favourites include Star Child, Subway, The Astronomer, Hero, Usher Part 3, and Fathers and Sons, but every song is fantastic.

Brittain Ashford has an addictive voice that I loved on Great Comet, so I'm thrilled to have more of her on my iPod. Gelsey Bell gets a chance to show off more of her voice than she did in Great Comet, and I'm so glad. As a side note, her inhuman shrieking in The Photograph is terrifying beyond belief.

Updated On: 2/24/15 at 01:28 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26Ghost Quartet
Posted: 11/8/14 at 1:49am

Maybe a silly question, but if I buy this should I buy it on my iphone or will it download into my itunes on my comp and then I can just copy it over?

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#27Ghost Quartet
Posted: 11/8/14 at 4:20pm

QUESTION: I just realized that tickets are not willcall but barcode eticket. Can I bring the barcodes up on my phone for entry or must I have printed tickets?

Thanks!

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#28Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 2:06am

It's coming back:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GHOST-QUARTET-to-Make-Manhattan-Premiere-at-McKittrick-Hotel-in-January-20141211

The bandcamp site is also offering 'handmade compact discs' (hipsters... Ghost Quartet ) of the cast recording now.

LightsOut90
#29Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 3:10am

quiet a price jump 45/65 glad i saw this for under 20 bucks :)
and hopefully this gets an extended run, perfect space for it.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#30Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 7:12am

That's awesome.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#31Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 11:22am

That's great! Will this be considered an Off-Broadway production?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#32Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 11:25am

No. The McKittrick space is a concert venue.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#33Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 1:59pm

Only 8 performances, though. Wish it would get an open-ended run somewhere.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/12/14 at 2:01pm

It could go open-ended, but it seems like a piece written and tailored to the strengths of the four performers - and Malloy has his next show opening at LCT3 in the late spring.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#35Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/13/14 at 10:18pm

I got the text that this would be returning (and to my beloved, familiar McKittrick!!!) and got so excited I had to leave the room and cry. I can't remember ever being this happy over theatrical news in my life!

I know you. I know you. I know you.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#36Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/14/14 at 4:14pm

I usually hate spoilers, but know that I won't get a chance to see this wonderful show. Currently listening to the recording and would love a message about how it ends. I'd even like to know as much about the "plot" or story as possible.

One of the (many) things that I liked about Nathasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 is that I didn't feel like I was missing anything just by listening to the recording. So any light that can be shed on this show would be greatly appreciated. Dave Malloy is a superb composer and I'm grateful to everyone here for recommending such exquisite scores.

Updated On: 12/14/14 at 04:14 PM

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#37Ghost Quartet
Posted: 12/15/14 at 3:02am

mormonophobic, I've forwarded you a PM I got from another member about the ending. If anyone else is curious about the ending, this review spoils it:

http://bushwickdaily.com/2014/10/bushwicks-ghastliest-ghoul-ghost-quartet-playing-bushwick-starr-is-a-halloween-treat/

Additionally, if you expand the lyrics links beside the song titles on the cast recording bandcamp site, you'll find that certain tracks' lyrics also include some (maybe all?) of the show's spoken dialogue, as well as identification of exactly who is playing which character at any given moment. Helps in understanding better what's going on in the show.

thirtythirtyninety
#38Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/24/15 at 1:54pm

FYI, the run at The McKittrick Hotel has been extended thru 05/18.

http://events.mckittrickhotel.com/ghostquartet/

iluvtheatertrash
#39Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/24/15 at 2:20pm

I nabbed a ticket for 3/29. Looking forward to it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

dave1606
#40Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/24/15 at 2:57pm

I'm seeing this again tonight at the Mckittrick (one of my favorite places in NYC!). I will report back. I LOVED this show in Brooklyn, and am very curious to see how they use The Heath. Also hoping to check out the newly opened Lodge at Gallow green!

http://untappedcities.com/2015/01/23/theres-a-cabin-in-the-woods-on-top-of-the-mckittrick-hotel-photos-of-the-lodge-at-gallow-green/

dave1606
#41Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:16pm

I saw this again last night. The cast seems ever stronger than in the fall. The great news is that the show is better than ever. Everyone was in great voice last night and it is one of the most unique shows playing in New York right now.

The bad news is that it doesn't fit the Heath the way I had hoped. If you are attending, make sure to arrive at LEAST 30 minutes early as there are many bad seats, spread out in far corners that would cause you to miss a good deal of the show. In my opinion they are overselling the show for the space, and I feel like there were about 20-30 percent of the audience that probably could not see any or some of the actors. So either opt for a reserved seat or make sure you arrive early with GA. The show also started 20 minutes late as people were filing in and going to the bar well past 8pm.

The show is still excellent and Dave Malloy, Brittan Asford and Gelsey Bell are all brilliant as is Brent Arnold.

It is a fun night out, and though I wish it worked a little a better in The Heath, but it is definitely a must see if you haven't been. Also, check out The Lodge upstairs at Gallow Green. A clever re-purposing of their rooftop bar!

thirtythirtyninety
#42Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:17pm

thanks for the tip!

neonlightsxo
#43Ghost Quartet
Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:23pm

Can someone explain the ticketing website to me? It says Guest $65, Admit $45, and the options on the left are Reserved Table, Reserved Seat, GA, and standing room. What???

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#44Ghost Quartet
Posted: 5/9/15 at 7:36am

Here's some footage of the show/concert, which is still playing until 18 May:

Any Kind of Dead Person

Short montage

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#45Ghost Quartet
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:41pm

So, is anybody here going to the campfire production of Ghost Quartet at Mount Tremper Arts in a couple of weeks, 24-25 July? I would love to hear a report back if so. Sounds as though it could be a great atmosphere, but also potentially a technical/acoustical nightmare.

http://mounttremperarts.org/dave-malloy

BTW, according to Dave Malloy's website there's another iteration of the show planned for Dallas in April 2016 (among other planned productions that I think have already been talked about here).

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#46Ghost Quartet
Posted: 7/11/15 at 8:58pm

They'll be doing it in San Francisco as well! Very exciting! It's great that the show is in demand. 

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#47Ghost Quartet
Posted: 7/28/15 at 8:04am

So no reports/reviews from the campfire production it seems? Anyway, here are a few photos from Mount Tremper Arts' Facebook.

FindingNamo
#49Ghost Quartet
Posted: 7/28/15 at 5:20pm

That sounds GREAT.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#51Ghost Quartet
Posted: 7/29/15 at 4:28am

Thank you for sharing, it sounds amazing.