pixeltracker

Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?- Page 9

Could 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#200 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 11:53pm

I'll be really annoyed if they consider this a revival and not new work, come the Tony awards.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/4/15 at 11:53 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#201 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/4/15 at 11:59pm

^^^^^
Totally agree. In my mind, this does not meet criteria of being well-known, a classic, or frequently produced (or whatever the criteria that has been used is). It's our last new Kander and Ebb musical (because All About Us should never even be spoken of). Celebrate this for what it is.

Updated On: 1/5/15 at 11:59 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#202 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 12:06am

I'll be really annoyed if they consider this a revival and not new work, come the Tony awards.

---
No need to worry and you won't be annoyed as this is a "NEW" musical from K&E but it has taken 14 years to get it on Broadway.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#203 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 12:07am

I highly doubt that it will be considered a revival. Three very different regional productions does not make it a "classic." Also the WTF production is vastly different from prior productions.

Updated On: 1/5/15 at 12:07 AM

neonlightsxo
#204 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 9:03am

There's no way that The Visit is a revival.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#205 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 4:50pm

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#206 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 9:38pm

What really blows is that Cabaret is closing right about the time this should be starting performances. If I remember correctly, those familiar with this show thought Studio 54 would have been perfect. Oh well :/

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#207 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/5/15 at 10:01pm

Wow, that's a stunning picture of Rivera! I think it'd be just thrilling to see her make a Broadway return in a new Kander & Ebb star vehicle that is so dear to her heart.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#208 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:07am

It is a fantastic dramatic image.

Someone on ATC had an interesting description of her performance

"I saw the show in Williamstown, and while I didn't care for it, there is no denying that Chita is sensational. It's like Andrea Martin's five minutes in Pippin, but for the whole show. "

Updated On: 1/6/15 at 05:07 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#209 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:10am

Love this pic:

binau Profile Photo
binau
#210 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:13am

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#211 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 10:01am

Great picture, great performance and very good show! I'm so glad it's going to Broadway (possibly) this spring!

neonlightsxo
#212 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 11:01am

"If I remember correctly, those familiar with this show thought Studio 54 would have been perfect. Oh well :/ "

Studio 54 is owned by Roundabout. The Visit has nothing to do with Roundabout. Roundabout is not producing its commercial production. It can't go there.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#213 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/6/15 at 5:25pm

I think the idea was that the roundabout would have produced the show. It would have potentially been mutually beneficial (A greater built-in, subscriber audience to help the show financially. A prestigious, new musical to encourage roundabout subscribers). Still, there must be a good reason why it didn't work out.

neonlightsxo
#214 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 9:13am

Was that a rumor that someone on this board started? Because I'm fairly certain that wasn't ever close to happening.

two ladies tickets
#215 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 12:42pm

At one point The Public Theatre was going to produce The Visit with the hopes of transferring it to Broadway as well, it was even listed on their season schedule but never materialized, maybe some folks are confusing that with The Roundabout?

My question of the day is this: If Disgraced felt compelled to post a closing notice on a Sunday afternoon for 8 weeks down the road, that means that the announcement of a new show for The Lyceum was imminent, but here we are on Wednesday and nothing...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#216 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 2:48pm

The rumor was that Roundabout passed on doing the show some time ago. And then someone expressed the opinion that Studio 54 would be a good theatre for it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#217 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 6:32pm

It is happening this spring late March @ the Lyceum finalizing logistics.
The Shuberts promised Chita a theater as it will be billed a limited engagement and her final appearance on Broadway and the Lyceum became avail and will be a perfect fit for the musical. Best actress musical will be a tough race with Chita as the favorite to win. Formal announcement any day now...just wait :)

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#218 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 7:35pm

I am so excited for Broadway to see Chita's sensational performance. It's a chilling and unforgettable performance. I can't wait to see O'Hara as well. It should definitely be a tight race.

sctrojan65
#219 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 10:28pm

I sure hope so, Robbie. I'm planning to be in NYC early April so really would like to see this. I saw Chita in Kiss of the Spider Woman a couple of decades ago now, and she was sensational.

To say she's an icon is an understatement.

I had the pleasure to meet her after the show and she is a very gracious and charming woman too.

Glitter
#220 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:34pm

I'm thrilled that Chita will get to go out on such a perfect note, but also thrilled that we get one more Kander & Ebb show on Broadway. I'm so in love with this score and this production, it couldn't be a more fitting end to an era.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#221 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/8/15 at 8:18am

It need not be a limited run, if they can get Rita Moreno.
Are we sure it will be Chita?

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#222 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/8/15 at 3:51pm

Officially at the Lyceum starting Late March!
BWW Link

Glitter
#223 'The Visit' be making it to Broadway in 2015?
Posted: 1/8/15 at 4:44pm

At last, last....the old lady pays a visit!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#224 'The Visit' will be making it to Broadway in 2015 @ the Lyceum
Posted: 1/8/15 at 4:49pm

:)

Updated On: 1/8/15 at 04:49 PM