The Last Ship Lasting

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#25The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 3:04pm

"I know everyone on this board really hated the show, but I personally found it to be really wonderful. "

Really? Everyone hated the show? That's simply not true. I saw it this week and really enjoyed it, and appreciated the talent and work behind the show.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#26The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:04pm

I really, really enjoyed “The Last Ship” when it was in Chicago (I have not seen it on Broadway). It certainly had its flaws (some which may have been fixed in its transition to New York - which, according to most reports, my biggest issue of Gideon not being a very likable character seems to have been worked out), but I thought it had a lot of heart, good songs, characters to root for, and had a lot of substance to it.

That being said, I always think it’s such a risky move to open a show in the fall no matter how good it is or how great the reviews are. It’s extremely hard to build any sort of traction opening during a slow period and then, after a few weeks of good holiday crowds, enter the worst months on Broadway and hope you can eke by either until the Tony nominations/awards or summer crowds.

I’m interested to see how the sales for both “The Last Ship” and “On the Town” play out over the next several months, for comparison’s sake, and to see if one seems to do better during the notorious winter months. Each has different benefits and disadvantages (a classical musical that got excellent reviews but may not appeal to tourists and a new musical with a rock star name attached to it that got mixed reviews and similar word-of-mouth) to them and I’m intrigued to see how those effect sales. (Of course, there are plenty of other factors including PR, the willingness of producers, etc.)

I think “On the Town” will have a harder time appealing to a wider audience than “The Last Ship,” even with its great reviews. This kind of old-school musical comedy show might not be one to draw many tourists (especially those who aren’t usual theatre-goers and might be looking for something more contemporary) or much of the younger generation, no matter how good it is, unfortunately. I certainly think it will struggle through the winter months and its closing date will be a matter of whether the producers are willing to wait it out until the Tony frenzy (where they will likely earn some nominations/awards) or not.

Not to say “The Last Ship” won’t have a tough time of it (and may very well close in early winter), but I do think that it has a bit more chance of building some traction and appealing to wider audiences during the winter months than “On the Town,” even with the word-of-mouth for “On the Town” being a lot better than “The Last Ship.” That being said, if both “On the Town” and “The Last Ship” make it to Tony season, “On the Town” may fare better once that time arrives.

I wish for success for both shows!

Updated On: 10/31/14 at 04:04 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#27The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 4:35pm

Own all Police recordings and all but 2 of Sting's cd's. Have seen the Police in concert and Sting in concert.

I have seen both Next to Normal and if/then. ( Did not pay to see N2N. Paid to see if/then) I own the if/then recording. You couldn't pay me to own the Next to Normal cd. If you did, I would go buy one of the Sting cd's I don't have.

Just give the world Love.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:24pm

The ship appears to be taking on water fast

This morning, TDF had about 3 dates. I just checked and it is now on for almost every show thru mid November. Reminds me of the availability Rocky had before they threw in the towel.

Absent a miracle, it will sail away right after the holidays like Big Fish did last season at the same theater.

Looks like another one bites the dust.

Poster Emeritus

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#29The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:26pm

"You couldn't pay me to own the Next to Normal cd. If you did, I would go buy one of the Sting cd's I don't have."

Wouldn't the very nature of me paying you outright to own the N2N CD require you to own the N2N CD? That seems to be the nature of the transaction, no? The Last Ship Lasting

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#30The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:29pm

Has there been any talk of a cast album or are they just going to sell Sting's concept album?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:34pm

Right now, I would say the concept album

If somehow it pulls a rabbit out of a hat and lasts into January or longer I would lean to a cast album.

Had they opened in the spring, the prospects for the show would have been much brighter.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/31/14 at 05:34 PM

evic
#32The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:35pm

Nice of Ship to offer discounts to union members....they should be comped since the show is doomed.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:36pm

The merits of the show (which I haven't seen) aside, that really is an awful logo. It took me such a long time to realize it was a wave, and I pass the poster every day going to work. I don't see why they thought it would grab the attention of anyone who didn't know what the show was about.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#34The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:38pm

The logo is definitely not a good selling point. To me, it looked like an abstract painting. It could be a cow or a wave but it ain't a ship which is really what it should be. Good luck trying to sell it.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/31/14 at 05:38 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#35The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:30pm

I can't count the number of times I've bought a ticket to a show based on the promise of a sweet poster only to be hoodwinked by a show that did not measure up to that graphic-designed slice of heaven that first piqued my interest.

Mystic Pasta
#36The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:41pm

How can they expect to stay open 30 weeks from now to appear on the Tonys? It seems like basic math that their reserve will run out around Xmas. I think the key art is the least of this show's problems. Brian Yorkey was smart to run away from this sinking ship.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:46pm

The concept album has about 1/2 the music from the show. The other half of the show may be gone forever. No idea what songs were on the Channel 13 special. I have it on DVD and have not watched it since it was telecast.

Poster Emeritus

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#38The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:47pm

I saw the preview on the Thursday night before opening. I was surprised that the theater was nearly full and the audience very attentive. Maybe it was cast's family night.

I liked the show, but would not see it again. The reviews were mixed to good. But it has no star. The Last Ship is certainly better than the ball of confusion called If/Then, but the latter has a star to carry it. Although when I saw the show even Idina's vocals were marred by a sound system that had me thinking she was singing at a high school dance in the gym.

The Last Ship is also not a cheery show. Out of the R&H big five, to many Carousel had the best score yet it had the shortest run, I would say because it was the darkest of the big musicals.

Whatever the fate of the show, Sting comes out a big winner. Just about every reviewer, no matter what else they said about the show, had either love or respect for the score. Who would have thought that Sting would be compared to Kurt Weill in more than one review.

Rainbowhigh23
#39The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:54pm

I'm at the Neil Simon now and the house looks pretty full. The lottery was easy.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#40The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 7:54pm

"I saw the preview on the Thursday night before opening. I was surprised that the theater was nearly full and the audience very attentive. Maybe it was cast's family night."

Critics technically review the show in the last few previews leading up to opening, so if press was invited that night, they would make sure the house was full.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#41The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 8:15pm

If Jackman was in this instead of The River this would be hailed as a hit.

Without a star, the show is doomed.

Poster Emeritus

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#42The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 8:16pm

mystic-
You are assuming the point you are trying to prove. If the grosses do not improve, no one thinks the show will continue to run until the Tonys. But you assume they will not improve, whereas some of the best producers in the business (as well as Sting) are working overtime to sell more tickets. Will they succeed? Who knows? Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But it is just silly ask they expect something that no one expects.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#43The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 10/31/14 at 11:46pm

I know why I didn't go see this when I was in NY, it looked like a downer. People want funny, which is why the comedies are doing well, even the ones that are a rather weak.
Even in If/Then there are a lot of laughs. Now, I did see it on the Saturday of a long weekend in a house full of tourists, but it was a real audience pleaser with an entertaining mix of emotional highs and lows.

AntV
#44The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 3:18am

At the curtain call of tonight's show Sting walked up from those stairs downstage wearing black ears or horns for Halloween and with a cigar or pipe in his mouth (I was too far back to tell).

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#45The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 11:52am

If Sting is the main attraction to people for this show, and he shows up in costume on Halloween, then why is their social media team asleep at the wheel and not putting a good picture out there for people to see/share? They retweeted someone who said he showed up as a devil, and also that Kevin Spacey was in the house last night, but a picture that people might share seems easy/obvious.

Rainbowhigh23
#46The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 12:17pm

Sting looked amazing when he came up the stairs in his devil horns and full length jacket. Trudy Styler and Kevin Spacey were definitely there; they stood on stage talking after the show.

Pootie2
#47The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 12:32pm

If The Last Ship appears dreary, who wants to see a dreary show during the holiday season of all things?

"If Sting is the main attraction to people for this show, and he shows up in costume on Halloween, then why is their social media team asleep at the wheel and not putting a good picture out there for people to see/share? They retweeted someone who said he showed up as a devil, and also that Kevin Spacey was in the house last night, but a picture that people might share seems easy/obvious."

^And this. At least Menzel's people know how to leverage social media. There are only so many ways to get buzz out there for tourists, and holiday season is another major tourist period, no?

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#48The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 12:37pm

it seems we now have the back seat drivers to the back seat drivers opining. That's pretty much the signal that a thread-weak from the get-go-has come off the rails.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#49The Last Ship Lasting
Posted: 11/1/14 at 12:43pm

Add me to the list of people on this board who:

1. Really liked The Last Ship

2. Owns and listens to the CDs for Next to Normal and If/Then

3. Owns and listens to Sting/The Police CDs

I wrote a review of The Last Ship on my blog, which outlines why, flaws and all, I thought it was pretty terrific. If you are interested, here's a link: http://jkstheatrescene.blogspot.com/2014/10/review-last-ship.html