Pre Thanksgiving Weekend

nanillo17
#1Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/6/14 at 7:47pm

I'm potentially going to be in NYC Saturday before Thanksgiving. Are the holiday crowds typically already in town at this point? If I can swing by to catch a matinee show this day I'd love to but if crazy crowds have already begun to descend onto the city I might hang back instead. Any insights/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/6/14 at 8:15pm

It will likely be pretty quiet.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phantom4ever
#2Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/7/14 at 12:11pm

There is a perception on this board that the theater district is a mob scene from November 1 to after New Year's. Once the tree goes up, Rockefeller Center will be a mob scene, but the theater district will only be insane and crazy during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's week. Some of the other weeks in there, especially the week right before and right Thanksgiving and the week right before Christmas, are some of the lowest grossing weeks of the year.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/7/14 at 12:15pm

Mrs R goes to the tree every year. After wading thru the crowds she turns to me and says " There's the tree - now let's go"

It does look the same every year and the crowds are beyond ridiculous.

Poster Emeritus

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#4Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/7/14 at 12:40pm

Having worked in Times Square I would say that it gets very crowded starting in November. Of course the crowds escalate during the holiday weeks but Times Square absolutely does get worse in the weeks leading up to the holidays as well. And anyway, it's pretty much always crowded.

It shouldn't make you feel like you need to not see a show, though.

Updated On: 11/7/14 at 12:40 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/7/14 at 3:49pm

Where is the "perception" that it's busy all November? The very first response said it wouldn't be. Someone else stating otherwise, posted AFTER you.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/7/14 at 4:00pm

Skipping whether it is crowded or not, is Thanksgiving week/end typically if you want to see a show? Not sure if the crowds are here for shows or trees and sales, especially interested if the added shows tend to be good for bargains.

Phantom4ever
#7Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/8/14 at 1:49am

The perception is in pretty much every "Broadway grosses" thread. Frequently, you will see people saying things such as "well if it can last til October/November then it will make tons of money through the holidays" but it is really only 3 weeks out of 8 that would be profitable. But I don't care enough about this to argue about it so have at it.

nanillo17
#8Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/8/14 at 9:41am

Thanks all for the info, I'll try to get in an catch a show that weekend!

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#9Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/9/14 at 1:21pm

I usually find that the crowds die down on 1/1 or 1/2. The weekend after New Years seems to be pretty good for deals and still seeing the city lit up with holiday lights.

Not to be confused with Dave19.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#10Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/9/14 at 2:23pm

"I usually find that the crowds die down on 1/1 or 1/2."

Which is why a lot of shows are closing on the 4th.

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#11Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/9/14 at 4:21pm

I HIGHLY recommend going into the city early to beat the crowds. I live 30-40 mins away from NYC, but I never drive in because it is chaotic and difficult to find parking (plus it's very expensive!). Regardless of the time of year, NYC is always going to be crowded. The holiday season is the best time of year for NYC in terms of scenery, shopping and events, but the worst for crowds. If you see a matinee, I think you should be fine. Just be sure to get in there early if you plan on sight-seeing.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12Pre Thanksgiving Weekend
Posted: 11/9/14 at 4:26pm

Stay away from Macy's the day after turkey day unless you have a death wish

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13*
Posted: 11/9/14 at 4:26pm

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 11/9/14 at 04:26 PM

MoDance0934 Profile Photo
MoDance0934
#14*
Posted: 11/9/14 at 5:07pm

I went last weekend! It's brutal! Starting in November it's horrifying. That, and Rockefeller Center is a tourist trap. Their skating rink is now open so people have been migrating towards that area.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#15*
Posted: 11/9/14 at 9:41pm

I live in CT and go into NY once or twice a month. I was there this weekend and it was mobbed, I think every weekend from now to the holidays it's going to be a mob scene. The theatre district is crowded on a normal weekend, but throw the holidays into the mix and it's super crowded.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16*
Posted: 11/9/14 at 10:04pm

Not to mention The Hotel That Ate Times Square - The Marriott

It keeps on remodeling and taking over more and more space with scaffolding.

Poster Emeritus